Whinge, Moan, Rant And Anything Else Put It Here ...

General chat about anything else goes here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Well done Emet.

It would be useful if you could post up your signature again. You know the one, it says something like don't argue with an idiot, those watching won't be able to tell the difference.

After asking in plain language to move the Mathieu Manset thread to this board, it eventually happened, but not before a few great white brown nosing noses got put out of joint. Some clearly do not have the intelligence to realise that spelling out Matt's use of Negro to mean BIG BUCK N*GG*R was done to clarify meaning without ambiguity and without any direct racist intent.

Now that thread is over on this board, the Main Board is free for comments directly related to Torquay United. No further comment from myself is needed or will be added to the Mathieu Manset thread.

Mission accomplished, end of.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The point is whether the reference to the colour of his skin was needed in the first place.

Would you put that Guy Branston (for example) was a big white b*****d? Probably not - there is no need. So why is there a need to point out if somebody is black?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Who started that particular thread ?

Do I have to keep spelling it out ?

I clarified Matt's meaning.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Trojan 67 wrote:Who started that particular thread ?

Do I have to keep spelling it out ?

I clarified Matt's meaning.
I never stated that I was aiming my comments at you though did I!!??

STIP
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Correct.

Now do you see how some things are not read/understood as intentioned ?
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

scottbrehaut wrote:The point is whether the reference to the colour of his skin was needed in the first place.

Would you put that Guy Branston (for example) was a big white b*****d? Probably not - there is no need. So why is there a need to point out if somebody is black?
No Scott, you wouldn't say white when describing him for one reason-being white he is in the MAJORITY so its not a 'difference' from what we would call 'The average'. But you did point out that he is 'big' (as he's much bigger than average) so are you being 'size-ist? You also suggest he's a b*****d so are you being 'mean/nasty/without parent-ist'? No, of course not, but they aren't average traits either.
Heres an example Ive come up with. When I get cut up by someone while driving, :evil: we tend (well I do) to pick out something peculiar to that person that is different to me (Im the most average bloke you could ever meet). ;-) So the person with questionable driving skills becomes a fat, black, four eyed blind, bald, ugly split arse (*delete as appropriate) b*st*rd, but it doesn't make me sexist, racist or any other 'ist'. Just angry and blowing off steam. :@

I think the PC mafia are much too touchy and uppity when it comes to describing for example someone as 'A big black bloke' particularly if the bloke happens to be big with black skin! :-|
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Personally, I can take 'a big black bloke', but I think it was more the choice of word (negro) which caused the offence.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

I am white (Caucasian), one of my mates is brown and of Indian descent (Asian) the bloke down the Chinese chippy is yellow(ish) and Oriental and the big black bloke (and one of my mates at work AND one of my nieces) is black and NEGROID.
Cant see what your argument is.

(PS how do I put my signature on my posts?)
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Correct Nick.

Then some went PC and the thread deteriorated and Matt was on a hiding to nothing with a particular mindset against him.

Then I clarified and all hell broke lose. Right at the beginning I stated it was not my intention to fall out with anyone. It's still the intention. If some want to carry a grudge then that is their weight not mine.

Travel light, travel quick.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote: he's a b*****d so are you being 'mean/nasty/without parent-ist'? No, of course not, but they aren't average traits either.
Heres an example Ive come up with. When I get cut up by someone while driving, :evil: we tend (well I do) to pick out something peculiar to that person that is different to me (Im the most average bloke you could ever meet). ;-) So the person with questionable driving skills becomes a fat, four eyed blind, bald, ugly split arse (*delete as appropriate) b*st*rd, but it doesn't make me sexist, racist or any other 'ist'. Just angry and blowing off steam. :@
I think the PC mafia are much too touchy and uppity when it comes to describing for example someone as 'A big black bloke' particularly if the bloke happens to be big with black skin! :-|

As fine a description of you as I've seen, Emet :-D
Dave

EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote:I am white (Caucasian), one of my mates is brown and of Indian descent (Asian) the bloke down the Chinese chippy is yellow(ish) and Oriental and the big black bloke (and one of my mates at work AND one of my nieces) is black and NEGROID.

OOOOOPS! sorted :Oops:

And thanks for that Dave, I love you mate! :mrgreen:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote:I am white (Caucasian), one of my mates is brown and of Indian descent (Asian) the bloke down the Chinese chippy is yellow(ish) and Oriental and the big black bloke (and one of my mates at work AND one of my nieces) is black and NEGROID.

The quotation is back !That's the one Emet. :clap:

I wonder whether some have noticed that we don't argue with each other. ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Southampton Gull wrote:

As fine a description of you as I've seen, Emet :-D
Was thinking much the same about you Dave to be honest.... ;-) xx

STIP
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Phew !

At last the mood has lightened.

Over to you Emet.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Trojan 67 wrote: After asking in plain language to move the Mathieu Manset thread to this board........

To be fair, the thread was going way off-topic but was given a chance to get back on-topic. As I stated in a previous post, do we want an overbearing attitude towards threads that go off-topic or do we want a more relaxed forum where members are given the freedom to express themselves without continued enforcement of strict rules? The thread was relevant to the Main Board even if the majority of the content within it was not.

Interestingly, I received only one pm regarding the use of the word negro and it was one that didn't see it as an intentionally racist term. That posters identity can be held back unless he/she decides to reveal it, but they do have a vested interest through berth. No complaints received, no insults cast just reasonable debate.

I took the choice to move the thread only when it became totally clear it was not going to go back on-topic. Too late, maybe it was as things turned out, but the members themselves dictated how the thread went through posting.
Dave