Buckle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Woke up to this morning to the inevitable. Not a great deal left to say that hasn't already been said. Do I personally wish him well?, well let's put it another way - I hope he get what he deserves. As for the fabulous 4 years he has given us, I am struggling with that, been relegated and then promoted back to where we started isn't exactly a terrific record. Spending over £250 to get to Old Trafford at difficult times to watch a team clearly unsettled by their managers imminent departure is a little too much to take.

Was there ever a good time to announce you were leaving, no probably not, but what there should be is a sense of decency of not negotiating your new job until the season finished. If you are employed and you start looking for your new job and get offered one, whilst working out your notice you are never as committed to your original post - unless you are different to everyone else.

The sly and deceitful way this has been handled makes me so angry - I for one won't be clapping him when he comes to Plainmoor next season. Can't forget the way he ditched his wife for the Setanta bird in a similar manner - I hate bringing personal stuff into football but at the time I said it said an awful lot about the guy himself. They say what goes around comes around, I sincerely hope so.

Can't see Chris Hargreaves taking the job, less so Branston Player manager as much as I would love both. Either way, as long as we have a unity at the club a board with more balls to stop Buckle trying to steal players and a manager who is passionate about Torquay United as we are I am happy whatever league we are in.

I believe it was the spirit of the players that got us to Old Trafford and the unquestionable support for them by the fans who I think are the best in the league - why else would I do a 160 mile round trip to watch them - even with Exeter nearer. They so there is no 'i' in team, and there is certainly no manager bigger than our club.

Anxious times ahead no doubt.

AWJ
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Buckle is a good manager who did a great job for us. It's important to realise this and wish him luck in his career, whilst also realising that there are better managers than Paul Buckle who we can afford. The work of Damian Davey can't go without mention, we owe a great deal to him for the season we've had, hope he stays.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

On the OS now http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 35,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
devington
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by devington »

Southampton Gull wrote:
I reckon Branno will end up there, he might come back to buy Zebs at some point but I can't see Ellis going there in a month of sundays.

O'Kane I doubt they could afford, doubt they would want Kee.

Stanley seems to have a genuine affection for us and I hope he gets an offer to come here. Robinson I expect to end up somewhere like Burton.
Peterborough, Derby County and Doncaster Rovers are all interested in him
Last edited by devington on 30 May 2011, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

Have not read all your comments yet, will read back through, but two quick points from me in addition to my earlier posts :-

1. I would assume the club in someway "have" to advertise the vacancy as in any company, but does not mean the post is not already filled.

2. Bucks first job would be to get bristol promoted, and my guess is their current squad is better equipped than ours, with the addition of 1 or 2 that any new manager would want to bring in. I genuinely don't see a mass exit from our players, but branno and Stanley are free agents, so we could well miss out on them, which would be a huge shame. One exception may be his mate zebba, if we get a decent offer, the club might let him go, and that would not be good as we are already short of attacking options.

Finally, I have not real preference if the two front runners are hargreaves and trollope as suggested, both have pros and cons, but would be VERY happy if we took them BOTH.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

look guys,hes gone now we could debate this forever and eternity,hes history now,so is sat guys,yeah as much as it hurts like all of you feel at the moment,look to the future guyswe are a very proud club indeed,move on with optimism now,the new era has become reality now whoever we get as boss,let bucks take who he wants,we have lost players before and done well without them,and yes we will do the same again in the future :-D
devington
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by devington »

regiment wrote:Have not read all your comments yet, will read back through, but two quick points from me in addition to my earlier posts :-

1. I would assume the club in someway "have" to advertise the vacancy as in any company, but does not mean the post is not already filled.

2. Bucks first job would be to get bristol promoted, and my guess is their current squad is better equipped than ours, with the addition of 1 or 2 that any new manager would want to bring in. I genuinely don't see a mass exit from our players, but branno and Stanley are free agents, so we could well miss out on them, which would be a huge shame. One exception may be his mate zebba, if we get a decent offer, the club might let him go, and that would not be good as we are already short of attacking options.

Finally, I have not real preference if the two front runners are hargreaves and trollope as suggested, both have pros and cons, but would be VERY happy if we took them BOTH.
Finances dictate that won't be happening, it will have to be a player coach
MuzDog
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by MuzDog »

monkeyboy wrote:The work of Damian Davey can't go without mention, we owe a great deal to him for the season we've had, hope he stays.
Spot on. Davey is worth his weight in gold and allows us to operate a tiny squad as injuries are so few and far between. Looking at the Play-Off final programme, Stevenage had a squad of seven more players than us, and that includes the likes of our development players like Halpin, Yeoman and Palmer. It is crucial Davey stays.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Read all the above; but I'd like to put on record my enormous gratitude to Buckle for all he has done. Never a dull moment in four years, and one bad game from League One. Who's have imagined it in the C*nt Roberts years? Let's take the long view, boys n' girls. Cheers Bucks. enjoy the 'Gas!
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

A little concerned at the lack of quality (certainly in terms of experience) in the names being bandied about on here as potential replacements. We should not forget that even though relations between them always seemed "strained" even Paul Buckle had the vastly experienced Colin Lee at the club to support a rookie Manager - we certainly don't have that now.

Taking the lead from the names in the Herald, I would be very happy if we employed Bruce Rioch (hopefully money at his age wouldn't be prohibitive to him coming here - I believe he is/was working for free with Falmouth Town) with a player coach to support him. In that case I would be quite happy to see Alex Russell back at the club - or perhaps even give Brano a shot at it?

It will be interesting to see who is actually involved in the selection process - early indications suggest that Simon Baker and Bill Phillips are taking the lead. Personally I would hope that the likes of Alex Rowe are heavily involved in the process as well as he was when Colin Lee and Paul Buckle were first brought to the club.
Last edited by CP Gull on 30 May 2011, 10:45, edited 2 times in total.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Anyone know who much compo we got for Buckle AND North? As for Davey, he seems just as valuable as one of our leading player. With the exception of Lathrope, how many players missed more than a few games in succession?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Chris, I'm surprised you mention Aggy and Branstonbauer but not Jesus, any reason?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

devington wrote: Finances dictate that won't be happening, it will have to be a player coach
Surely the wages of Trollope and Hargreaves would be roughly the same as what Buckle and North were earning. Or are we looking to cut back on this area?
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

tommyg wrote: Surely the wages of Trollope and Hargreaves would be roughly the same as what Buckle and North were earning. Or are we looking to cut back on this area?
That was my thinking. Sure, there's a budget, its up to the individuals to fit the budget. Would like hargreaves there as no.2 to someone, be it trollope or a.n.other, give him some experience, and maybe in future he'll be ready to step up to the top job.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Rioch and CH or Trolls and CH would be my choice but I am sure the incoming manager would want to take the decision on his assistant.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/