Eastbourne Borough v Torquayunited 13/10/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

dennisk wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 19:24 Just back from the game and a great away day. It was nervy at times, but our fitness and confidence won the game. Great hat trick from Jamie and things can only get better. Look out the rest of this league, we are coming to get you, because this current squad are on the up, up, up...... marvellous support from the yellow army & GJ came over to us, at the end, to thanks us for our support......
Theres a video on Facebook of GJ and the players celebrating with the fans at full time, everyone looks delighted!!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Great pic of Reid and co with the match ball. TUFC players smiling, whatever next.
TUST number 080
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

A strange game really where we were never at it in the first half and deserved to be one down. A terrific strike for the first goal got us going and Reid's tap in shortly after thought we would be fine. Although we continued much the same pace for rest of game we always looked like we could concede. Eastbourne certainly played their part and the fourth was a bit harsh on them. A lovely bit of skill set Reid up for this third and put his goal away well. As per usual our hosts were excellent and they should be near the playoffs come the end of the season.
kevinanderson
New Signing
New Signing

Post by kevinanderson »

Good morning, Yellow Army. Thanks for visiting us yesterday and adding to a smashing afternoon and a really good game of football for Non League Day. You're a great bunch and we enjoyed hosting you. Five decent goals and a penalty, no complaints. Gulls were (grudgingly) just worth the three points, and a nice bit of symmetry in the 4-2 result which neatly reversed your last visit...

Just to add, if any of you are NLP readers, apologies that the first goal is credited to Asa Hall and not Jake Andrews - I know it was Jake and have no idea how that happened; possibly because I'd named Asa star man. A speck of dust in the eye of history. Best wishes for the season and see you in April.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

'A speck of dust in the eye of history' is good [and original]. I will use that, Mr. Anderson, if I may.
kevinanderson
New Signing
New Signing

Post by kevinanderson »

wivelgull wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 11:04 'A speck of dust in the eye of history' is good [and original]. I will use that, Mr. Anderson, if I may.
Hehe feel free. Just a moment of inspiration over my third slice of toast this morning....
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Great win and well done Jamie Reid and Jake Andrews who's likely to get a recall from City if he keeps scoring every game. :)
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

wivelgull wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 11:04 'A speck of dust in the eye of history' is good [and original]. I will use that, Mr. Anderson, if I may.
Brilliant, it sounds like one of the closing one liners from I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue.

and thanks for the kind words, Mr Anderson
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Shangull wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 18:35 Jamie Reid didn't play badly or have a bad attitude or have a manager that didn't believe in him. He was a right footed player being played out of position with the majority of the Pop Side abusing him generally before he'd kicked a ball. He's now being played in a position that's more suited to his game. There's more opportunities and he is in a position to take them. what has GJ told him?...to ignore the fans.
Spot on, Shangull. There has never been a lack of commitment from Jamie Reid. Not quite correct that the 'majority of the Pop Side abused him'. There are lots of us old farts who inhabit the Pop Side who didn't abuse him. It has been mostly the vocal group at the back of the stand who, with all respect, don't fully understand the game of football. We could see why the goals had dried up. There was nothing, or very little, being created for the strikers, be it Williams, Keating or Reid.

I heard Kevin Keegan talking on the radio recently. He said he found it harder scoring for Scunthorpe in Div 4 than it was for Liverpool in the Premier, simply because at Liverpool he was playing alongside better players who created the goal scoring opportunities. An immediate difference when Gary Johnson arrived was that chances were being created.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

[shadow=blue][/shadow]Please see the snapshot of Jamie Reid's penalty yesterday. COYY. Click on pic to enlarge. Taken with point and shoot, I left my pro cameras behind for the day.

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

tomogull wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 13:18 I heard Kevin Keegan talking on the radio recently. He said he found it harder scoring for Scunthorpe in Div 4 than it was for Liverpool in the Premier, simply because at Liverpool he was playing alongside better players who created the goal scoring opportunities. An immediate difference when Gary Johnson arrived was that chances were being created.
How true, Under Ower's we were a defensive team hoping to score a goal - under Johnson we are a attacking team looking to score a goals!

Although the format of the squad is pretty much the same the players are taking a different approach to the game now - Johnson has installed a winning mentaility. The Eastbourne fan stated he had Asa Hall as the Star Player and I would agree. What he lacks in pace he certainly makes up in his reading of the game. In the Eastbourne game he was defensivley alert at critical times and consistently pushed the play forwards with midfield dominance.
kevinanderson
New Signing
New Signing

Post by kevinanderson »

Match highlights are here -

There will be a shorter version on the National League site.
ShropGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ShropGull »

... and more photos from the match here:

https://www.ppauk.com/event/Eastbourne- ... -Oct-2018/
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Emphatic and Torquay not two words we have been able to use over the last couple of seasons. I really think this win is dare I say it the turning of the corner. Over the last few years we have been on a journey to hell just falling deeper and deeper. Just maybe the signs are there we are on our way back. A manager not only does he know how to get the best our of players but the experience the connections, Every team we play the opposition have one or two players that come under the great GJ at one time or another. This win was a marker a statement of intent!! The other teams in the league must be thinking Torquay are back. Regarding the negative chants at your own team it has been a very frustrating time over the last couple of seasons and maybe people say things they regret later. Even if at times things go against us over the next few months lets try and refrain from ripping players apart! It really is counter productive. Onwards and upwards Torquay marching back to the football league.
One more question is this all still Osbourne great plan to destroy Torquay?????
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Dave_Pougher wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 06:11 Interesting what affects the odds

Slapped a fiver on at 25/1 as soon as Gary Johnson signed, not knowing what the odds were previously.
The cash out was 0.35p immediately, this increased to massive £1.25 on our recent FAcup wins and league draw.
Yesterday the cash out jumped too £3:18 yesterday following the signing.
Fantastic odds, A great bet.