Rueben Hazell - let go

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Andovergull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee mansell

Rueben Hazell - let go

Post by Andovergull »

I see today that the Shrews have let him go. Would anyone have him back, thought he did Okmwhen with us.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Very tidy player and it would be good to have cover at right back. Seems Leadbitter is not giving the competition for his place that Cruise offers on the other side. Suspect with the budget the way it is we would have to offload Leadbitter first which is unlikely. Would be great if he could play at CB also but don't remember that being the case?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Erm... isn't he a centre back?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

and the deal would also be further complicated after his run in with Rene last year!

Cannot see this happening.
TUST member 328
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

cambgull wrote:Erm... isn't he a centre back?
I remember him as a right back? Might be mistaken though?
TUST member 328
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Confirmed as a Centre Back here so it is my memory!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14932580

Perfect player for what we are after if he is now injury free but like I said earlier, I suspect the Rene incident rules this one out.
TUST member 328
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

He was definitely a right back - he played in the same team as Taylor and Woods and they were, I'm almost certain, our centre backs at the time

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Scott Brehaut wrote:He was definitely a right back - he played in the same team as Taylor and Woods and they were, I'm almost certain, our centre backs at the time
Thats how I remember it. I was sure until Luke questioned it and then I read that BBC story.

Seems he can cover both positions - then its all the better looking at the balance of our squad but with Rene around it still remains unlikely.
TUST member 328
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yep, he definitely played the majority of games at RB, sharing the position with Lee Canoville.

I would happily take him back, he was always a likeable bloke, but as Rich alludes to, I doubt he'll be able to get on with Rene after their little incident last season, and I know which one I'd rather have if I had to choose!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

He started out as a centre half and played much of Leroys first season there alongside David Woozley. However they proved an error-prone partnership so Craig Taylor was brought in, and once Steve Woods came back to fitness that was the door closed.

Rubes then ended up playing much of our promotion run in at right back in place of the injured Lee Canoville - he did a job but was never really convincing.

My abiding memory of Reuben Hazell? His absolute shocking, last-man challenge on Lawrie Dudfield of Southend in front of the Gulls faithful on that amazing last day at Roots Hall. The most clear cut penalty I've ever seen - and the ref never even thought about giving it. It was at that point that I knew we were going up.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Haha yes I remember Jeff! Sarfend should have had atleast one penalty that day!

Won't even forget it. Still remember it like yesterday; to quote the Southend ticket office "oh, we weren't expecting so many of you to turn up"...

Awesome.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Jeff wrote:My abiding memory of Reuben Hazell? His absolute shocking, last-man challenge on Lawrie Dudfield of Southend in front of the Gulls faithful on that amazing last day at Roots Hall. The most clear cut penalty I've ever seen - and the ref never even thought about giving it. It was at that point that I knew we were going up.
Haha, I was about to mention the exact same thing. I think we were all absolutely certain the ref was giving a penalty. That would have been to equalise a 2-2, right? Memory is somewhat foggy from that day :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Hazell was mainly a centre back for us. He was outstanding in first bunch of games, however despite a couple of errors in following matches(who doesnt make them?) he was a fans favourite, one game a terrible error by Reuben gave an opponent a goal and we looked like losing 1-0, but in last minute, who got up to head in a cross? yes, Reuben. His right back cover was decent enough in the promotion season, always preffered him to Craig Taylor at centre back, but Taylor and Woods did combine well that season, Taylor however was found seriously wanting thereafter.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

if i remember correctly, the reason he moved on was because he was unhappy playing right back