PSF: Torquay United v Stoke City 06/08/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I have never, and will never slag any of our players off and Ian Morris is no exception. He performed a thankless task for much of last season and give or take a goal in any single game would have played his part in a triumphant promotion winning team. He tries as hard as anyone. I want him to succeed more than anyone. Unfortunately with our improved squad depth for this season he needs to up his game to retain his place because at the moment others are offering more.

In saying that, he did play in the half against Stoke's 'strongest team' Should reserve judgement until 10 games into the season.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

A fairly unspectactular game in terms of quality but a good result and performance from us to hold a Premier League team.

One of the stand out players for me was Downes, who looks a real find. I just hope we can keep him fit and he and Saah will surely form a solid partnership - especially as they did well against Premier League stars!

As Matt quite rightly says, Oastler was very impressive, against a winger who has previously been touted by some for an England call-up. Etherington did get some joy, as is to be expected, but Oastler more than held his own and he won't face a tougher opponent this season than Matty Etherington! A real test for him also as Ethertington is the type of winger who will ALWAYS run at the full-back, so whenever he had the ball Oastler had to be alert.

Tonight was also the first I had got to see of Thompson. He definitely looks a prospect, and I would have no fears if he was thrown into action with 20 minutes to go in league games. What's perhaps most impressive is his confidence to run with the ball and try to make things happen. All to often a youngster will try and play the 'safe' option in order to try and blend in to the team, but Thompson is putting himself out there and trying to make Ling notice him. Fairplay to the lad.

Also pleased to see young Kirtys Mackenzie get a run out against the Stoke attack. It gives him something to aim at and will hopefully drive him on in training to try and get into the first team.

I didn't think Macklin was as impressive as Matt stated. He was tepid at best, and although he wasn't a disappointment I don't feel he is worthy of any praise. One long delivery was probably his highlight.

I was however fairly unimpressed with Rene Howe. I understand that playing against a defence as strong as Stoke's will be tough for him he didn't really make a chance for himself to have a go at goal. However, he did work fairly hard (for Rene!) for the team's cause and chased down a lot of loose balls.

Might post some more musings later...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

My first game in ages tonight! Well worth it, courtesy to stoke for bringing a virtual first XI.

I got a picture with crouch(embarrassed to stand next to him!) also his signature- whilst taking someone's pen.

As for the game itself I thought there was no real stand out performers except bodin when he came on, I feel Macklin wasn't particularly effective; poor passing, so I'm not sure how some say he had an alright game.

Hope Cruise is ok after what looked like a broken nose(?) and its a shame Downes scored the OG but it would have gone to crouch anyway!

Good goal, deserved it in my opinion on the 2nd half performance.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Macklin not impressive, so you didn't see him skin his man twice, then switch to swinging over early crosses when he got figured out by his full back? You didn't see him tackle a man on the touchline, get fouled and still get up and win the ball a second time? You didn't see him nip in and steal the ball then avoid a recovering tackle with the tidiest French Step-Over I've seen for 5 years? You didn't see him spend the last 10 minutes f
forming triangles with Bodin and Thompson to hold up the ball? You didn't see him constantly finding acres of space on his wing? You didn't see him take a man away to create space for the Bodin goal?

Jeez, you guys sure missed a lot... and that was just the stuff he did right in front of the Pop side, Christ only knows what he got up to during his stint on the other wing.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

ferrarilover wrote:Macklin not impressive, so you didn't see him skin his man twice, then switch to swinging over early crosses when he got figured out by his full back? You didn't see him tackle a man on the touchline, get fouled and still get up and win the ball a second time? You didn't see him nip in and steal the ball then avoid a recovering tackle with the tidiest French Step-Over I've seen for 5 years? You didn't see him spend the last 10 minutes f
forming triangles with Bodin and Thompson to hold up the ball? You didn't see him constantly finding acres of space on his wing? You didn't see him take a man away to create space for the Bodin goal?

Jeez, you guys sure missed a lot... and that was just the stuff he did right in front of the Pop side, Christ only knows what he got up to during his stint on the other wing.

Matt.
I wouldn't worry Matt - there was a guy on here last season who couldn't stand Atieno and, no matter what he (Atieno) did, it appeared that this person would miss all that and focus on what he didn't do.

Can't remember who that person was though....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

A few from Argyle went and seem positive about the way we played:
http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=70062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Rifty
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rifty »

Loved the posts from bengull and stevegull...summed up the evening nicely.

Surely Easton deserves a starting place though, ben?

I also agree that the booing of the 2nd goalkeeper that Stoke brought on was extraordinarily bizarre. I couldnt see who it was from where I was sitting , and presumed it was Torquay fans for some reason, so thanks for the heads up.

The view from Bristows was great...Dartmoor looked beautiful with the sun going down.

Loved the popside asking us to stand up, but agree the sound system at the moment is laughable.

The centre half trialist for the first 10 minutes looked about as good as me, so was slightly surprised to see he'd made over 180 appearances for Swindon. He did look very very keen though, and maybe when he's calmed down he'll prove to be a good back up, if he gets the chance. Thinking about it, he didnt look as bad as their left back. How do some of these players make it into the Premiership?

Rifty
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Agree that Easton was very impressive, kept it simple and linked play up nicely, excellent communicator on the pitch too. However I think Lingy will be keen to give as many players who did so well for us last season the chance to carry on this season, for this reason I think he will start with Lathrope (and Morris) before integrating too many new signings at once. As was shown on many an occasion last season, continuity not only breeds strong team spirit, it also brings about better performances.

Big fan of Damon and he has yet to reach the standards of midway through last season, but this is what pre-season is all about (and this applies to all players) and it is how they perform when the competitive season starts that truly matters and when they should be properly judged.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Scotty, your post would be absolutely hysterical, and cutting to boot, if it were even close to true. Still, why let that stop you?

I did speak to Andy Candy about the new tannoy, but infuriatingly, I can't remember what the outcome was, pretty sure it was positive though.

Haha, Rich, you beat me to posting that. Having a look on there, they are all sure that this year's squad is worse than last year's, yet some are sure that because we have lost Eunan, we will limp along with them to a lower midtable finish.

Matt.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

ferrarilover wrote:Macklin not impressive, so you didn't see him skin his man twice, then switch to swinging over early crosses when he got figured out by his full back? You didn't see him tackle a man on the touchline, get fouled and still get up and win the ball a second time? You didn't see him nip in and steal the ball then avoid a recovering tackle with the tidiest French Step-Over I've seen for 5 years? You didn't see him spend the last 10 minutes f

Matt.
I'll concede that he was better out on the right than when he moved inside. He didn't get the ball once he moved from the right wing and I think looked a tad lost when he was playing in there. I think you might be looking too hard at Macklin, trying to make anything he does seem like an instant turnaround in his fortunes. Just to clarify, I don't think he was bad, I just don't think he did anything majorly 'stand-out' to deserve praise.

On another note, I was a tad dumbfounded when a friend I brought along asked who was replacing Eunan in the team. I'd be interested to know who you guys think will play that role. I thought Morris was okay in there yesterday although I don't think he has quite the same passing range as Eunan. Bodin is obviously also another candidate for the role, however I think I'd probably prefer to try and get him 1 on 1 with defenders so he can get in behind and get the ball into the box. I'll be interested as to who Ling plays in there when we play Leicster.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Scotty, your post would be absolutely hysterical, and cutting to boot, if it were even close to true. Still, why let that stop you?

I did speak to Andy Candy about the new tannoy, but infuriatingly, I can't remember what the outcome was, pretty sure it was positive though.

Haha, Rich, you beat me to posting that. Having a look on there, they are all sure that this year's squad is worse than last year's, yet some are sure that because we have lost Eunan, we will limp along with them to a lower midtable finish.
Matt.
Agree with them here to be honest. Although i'd say more midtable than lower.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I'm not looking for anything, its just there. He went inside because he was frustrated at not seeing as much of the ball as he should have been given the space he was in.

Nathan Craig will (should) replace Eunan.

Matt.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

ferrarilover wrote:I'm not looking for anything, its just there. He went inside because he was frustrated at not seeing as much of the ball as he should have been given the space he was in.

Nathan Craig will (should) replace Eunan.

Matt.
I haven't seen any of Craig. Is he up to the task in your opinion?
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

None of us have seen any of Craig in a real game.

There is no chance that he'll start the league season. Will be slowly introduced from the bench, same with Macklin. Both may well get a go v Leicester/JPT and that sort of stuff.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

He absolutely is. Seen him both in competitive reserve games and 'non-competitive' preseason matches (including Exeter away which was pretty competitive) and he already looks like the best footballer in the squad.
You remember how Eunan used to make passes that would make you think 'no-one else in the team could have pulled that off'? Well, NC does exactly the same thing. Added to that the identical situation that he always seems to have more time than anyone else, and seems (defensively) to know where the ball is going to go, and we have should Eunan without actually losing Eunan, if you see what I mean.

Matt.