CONFIRMED: Mark Ellis to Crewe ....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Scott Brehaut wrote:I really do think that Mark isn't as good as he clearly thinks he is!!
In which case, maybe getting 70k for him might not be so bad?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

£70k would be about right in all honesty. Ellis is a good steady League 2 centre back who MIGHT get better and make a L1 regular but that's as far as I see him going. He lacks the little bit of quality you need to play regularly higher than that and I still don't think he's consistently one of our better players. He's someone we could replace fairly easily. After his shakey start I actually think Saah is the better of the 2 and one I'd much rather us keep if it was a straight choice.

i am less bothered about him going than the other 2 who we will find it tough to get in equally good players. Ellis we could replace tomorrow.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

this might also become the opportunity for Angus to sign on for the season long loan that ML was hoping for. Lingy clearly rates this lad and if he looks like getting more games under his belt, he may now be tempted to come back.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Regiment is right. Saah will become a fans favourite this year.
I would prefer to see Ellis off to be honest, especially if we manage to get a fee for him. There must be a reason bigger clubs have previously shown and interest and then turned their back and whilst I am not speculating, it all appears to me that all is not well for some reason......

From what I understand Brian is a great people person and raises club morale, by one players comments "he's a great chap to have around" . He needs to stand up now and take over commanding the central defence and that should be the making of him.
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Post by stratfordgull »

Gulliball wrote:James Collins will at least get them something at tribunal as he's under 23. He's also one more striker ahead of Billy Bodin, as well as Andy Williams, who Swindon also signed yesterday. Billy is probably now their 10th choice striker, and yet his value is probably set at more than our best players.
They signed Andy Williams? They must be dreaming an Impossible Dream?

Sigh......Yes take the £70k for Ellis and move on. It could have been 'negotiated up' in better economic times, but with one club interested then it seems a reasonable figure to me, not high, not low, but just about right.
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Post by stratfordgull »

Came back to apologise to one and all for that appalling nearly joke about Andy Williams.....you'd think I was a pensioner (I'm not)........with more apologies to more Andy Williams fans......
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

If Ellis doesn't want to play for us any more, then I don't want him playing for Torquay United. As good as he has been in defence for us, he is replaceable and I would rather have someone who wants to play for the club and give us 100% being happy in a Torquay shirt than someone who isn't.

Considering Buckle didn't rate him and Lingy gave him the chance to play, I think it's very disappointing the way he has made us play the waiting game.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

No-one knows what offers he's had, so it's a little unfair to slate Ellis just yet. He's out of contract and in demand, so he's always going to look to see what comes in. If he can get a better offer elsewhere then no-one can blame him for moving on. At 23 he should be moving up the pyramid given his ability. Not many people on this forum would turn down a large pay rise, especially if the new company approached you and it was closer to where you wanted to live.

Just to play devil's advocate - we have transfer listed Macklin, McPhee and others because we don't want them, and no-one criticised us for doing that, even though those players are under contract. In the past few years we've got rid of Sills and Hargreaves because of age and Carlisle because of injury, so if the club looks out for its best interests (as it should), why shouldn't the players?

Crewe would actually be a pretty good move for him, and if we can nudge them up to 6 figures it would be a decent deal all round.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Of course Gulliball, it is only right that he trys to move on onwards and upwards, however I was their and saw with my own eys, and heard with my own ears Martin Ling say that Mark Ellis had indicated to him and the board his wish was to stay, however Marin Ling did say their were other considerations for Mark.

What I don't like is Mark Ellis had 28 days, it would have taken him 3 seconds to ring Lingys number and atleast display some honesty, he could not be arsed, our decided prehaps to play the big I am, and let the club sweat , and hearing private comments made by his family, he some what knew all along this is what he was going to do, so maybe he should have fronted up, alot sooner after the season had finished.
Last edited by Dave on 19 Jun 2012, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

Am I alone in thinking that 70k for Ellis under the circumstances is a bloody good deal....

A solid enough L2 centre half undoubtedly......brave and committed too - but he is a very limited player. Always seems to be at full stretch in games, mainly because positionally he is suspect - compare the way that Saah plays, calmly tidies up at the back and unlike Ellis doesn't waste possession with a hurried hoof, now there is a defender that could play easily up a level or two.

He wants to go, no point in keeping him - so for a player that has never played higher than L2 and is easily replaceable.......70k is fine, 30k would have been to in my opinion.
....aka jmgull.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

royalgull wrote: After his shakey start I actually think Saah is the better of the 2 and one I'd much rather us keep if it was a straight choice.

LMAO @ that.

I remember what you used to say about Saah on the long trip back from Plainmoor :rofl: :rofl:

Ellis is not as good as some have always thought and nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. Take the £70k and let Lingy bring in another gem ;-)

Fully agree with you, Justin.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'd be a bit disappointed if Ellis did leave but if we get get someone in like Angus then it would be ok. I'd be fairly happy with £70k i suppose.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

jocktheknife wrote:Am I alone in thinking that 70k for Ellis under the circumstances is a bloody good deal....

A solid enough L2 centre half undoubtedly......brave and committed too - but he is a very limited player. Always seems to be at full stretch in games, mainly because positionally he is suspect - compare the way that Saah plays, calmly tidies up at the back and unlike Ellis doesn't waste possession with a hurried hoof, now there is a defender that could play easily up a level or two.

He wants to go, no point in keeping him - so for a player that has never played higher than L2 and is easily replaceable.......70k is fine, 30k would have been to in my opinion.
No, your not alone in thinking that JM, also agree with your summing up on Mark Ellis, accrute and honest,as for Brian Saah he did struggle to settle in, however once he did, and it showed in his performances it left me in no doubt Saah is better than Ellis.

£70k spot on, and Lingy please go out and find us another gem as Dave says, could end up with a stronger back four.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

I'd have Robbo over Ellis any day of the week (apart from possibly Thursday), so £70,000 for a free agent to be is good business (if true). Not sure if there is the chance to put add-ons in these kind of deals though - would imagine not.

Moving on...
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

The thing with Ellis is that like Saah (and Robertson) they are all right footed. Many a time when on the ball Ellis had to move around and use his right foot. Really he would have been better off in Saahs position but they all cant play there.

Would be nice to actually sign a left footed centre half for a change. If we do sign Macdonald again does anyone know if he is another right footer?