Eunan to Swindon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

forevertufc wrote: See where your coming from, however the transfer market is not as bouyant now as it was even 2 season's ago, and again Manset was a goalscorer, teams will take a punt on a player who is banging in goals .

Was not really trying to compare fee's, the point was £350,000 can secure a player like Gorkss, who had 172 championship games under his belt, 51 for Blackpool, 121 for Q.P.R, therefore is proven at that level, he also has 43 full international caps for Latvia.

Eunan O'Kane has 107 league 2 games under belt, so is only proven at league 2 level, and a string of youth international caps, has youth on his side though, so a higher divsion club would only be buying potential.

So why would a championship club want to pay £400,000 for a young player with potential, when as said above they could buy the finsihed article for £350,000.

One could serve the club for 10 plus years, possibly develop and become worth ALOT more. Their career could progress on wards

The other is going in opposite direction
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

popside_yidlad wrote:
Gorkss is 30 years old, so yes I agree he has reached the crossroads in his career, however I can tell you fact, and I mean fact, professional football clubs see u-23 as the very end of football youth development, so do you , or anyone else not see a problem with Eunan O'kane's age here , because I do.

I believe he will be 22 in July, meaning next season he will have hit the u-23 age group, also meaning that a buying club will know they will only have about 1-1.5 seasons to develop O'Kane to the level they need, considring the potential for injuries to occur, a very, very short space of time.

Had O'kane reached the level he is now, and was 19 instead of 22, I would expect a que of clubs at the door with a £500k cheque , but as said he is at the end of line in terms of youth development, where you are at 23 is where you are going stay, unless you are areal late developer, and they are few and far between.

£200k plus a player would be in my view good buisness done.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Dave, what about Nick Powell then? £5m is being talked about in that case. I know he's younger than Eunan, but his career could easily go off the track. I would be very disappointed with £200k personally. If Alan Connell is worth over £100k in Di Canio's eyes, Eunan should be £400k at least.

Still, why isn't this rumour in the rumour mill?
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

NickGull wrote:Dave, what about Nick Powell then? £5m is being talked about in that case. I know he's younger than Eunan, but his career could easily go off the track. I would be very disappointed with £200k personally. If Alan Connell is worth over £100k in Di Canio's eyes, Eunan should be £400k at least.

Should deffers be in the rumour mill. I think we should, as a group, make better use of that space. Make it like our 'transfer zone'. Confirmed or not, transfer chat should be there.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

NickGull wrote:Dave, what about Nick Powell then? £5m is being talked about in that case. I know he's younger than Eunan, but his career could easily go off the track. I would be very disappointed with £200k personally. If Alan Connell is worth over £100k in Di Canio's eyes, Eunan should be £400k at least.

Nick,Nick Powell is 18 years old, 4 years younger than O'Kane, and is already a league 2 first team regular starter, and a far greater potential to develop considering his age, than O'Kane, and no, Crewe will not get anywhere near £5 million for Powell.

Remember Rotherham wanted £2 million for A-L-F they got £300,000.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I know he's younger, but as you said about Eunan having less time to grow, Powell could get a serious injury, or something could happen off the pitch to stop his growth. I doubt they'll get £5m but I'd imagine it'll be a 7-figure fee. Regarding ALF, he had a year remaining on his contract, and had stated that he wanted to move up the ladder, so Rovrum had to sell or risk losing him for nout. We are in no such position.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

NickGull wrote:I know he's younger, but as you said about Eunan having less time to grow, Powell could get a serious injury, or something could happen off the pitch to stop his growth. I doubt they'll get £5m but I'd imagine it'll be a 7-figure fee. Regarding ALF, he had a year remaining on his contract, and had stated that he wanted to move up the ladder, so Rovrum had to sell or risk losing him for nout. We are in no such position.
I see your's and everyone else's view point here, however , when any club buys a player their is a certain amount of risk, the player might not settle, could get a seriuos injury etc, etc.

And thats the point, when deciding the amount of money they are prepared to part with, a club will look at how big the potemtial risk is when buying a player.

When looking at a young player, they will consider career to date, age, how much development and growth time that player has left, so comapring Nick Powell to Eunan O'kane, Powell is 18 and has 4-5 years of growth/Development time left, O'Kane 22 with 1.5 year's growth /Developmet time left, Powell already has 55 league 2 starts compared to O'Kane 4 years older , yet only 107 league 2 starts.

Taking into account injury risk, development time and career to date, I make Powell a low risk, O'Kane a high risk investment, I really do think O'kane likey value will not be as high as we think, I hope however that I am proved wrong though, every pound we can screw out of another club for any of our players will only help us long run.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Reading this WMN article from yesterday (link), it seems Martin Ling has heard nothing from Swinedon. Now, I know he would say that, but if indeed no contact has been made, this brings up an interesting scenario.

Surely it is in Swindon's best interests that Torquay don't go up this season. This would mean Eunan is more likely to move on.

Lowdown dirty tactics from the Swine if true...... :red:
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Compared to last season when it was easier for our manager to sign Bevan and Branston (for his new club, within days of arriving) when they hadn't been offered a contract for us, and then easier to justify his move to a bigger club in the same division rather than move down a league, tempt Zebroski away and sign Stanley etc then this is really nothing in comparison!
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

forevertufc wrote: I see your's and everyone else's view point here, however , when any club buys a player their is a certain amount of risk, the player might not settle, could get a seriuos injury etc, etc.

And thats the point, when deciding the amount of money they are prepared to part with, a club will look at how big the potemtial risk is when buying a player.

When looking at a young player, they will consider career to date, age, how much development and growth time that player has left, so comapring Nick Powell to Eunan O'kane, Powell is 18 and has 4-5 years of growth/Development time left, O'Kane 22 with 1.5 year's growth /Developmet time left, Powell already has 55 league 2 starts compared to O'Kane 4 years older , yet only 107 league 2 starts.

Taking into account injury risk, development time and career to date, I make Powell a low risk, O'Kane a high risk investment, I really do think O'kane likey value will not be as high as we think, I hope however that I am proved wrong though, every pound we can screw out of another club for any of our players will only help us long run.
Okay, heres another one, subject being James Constable. Looks set to join Rovrum for 200k, O'Kane should definitely demand a higher fee than someone of Constables ability!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Jesus, £200,000 for ****, are you on crack? **** ing Fatty Cheat, he knows nothing about the game, nothing about management and nothing about money.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/298 ... t-Ferguson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But haven't you heard, the deluded fat criminal really rates himself...

The above link (in its ludicrous format) isn't really the one I wanted. There is another one somewhere, where he actually compares his record with that of Fergie, as if to suggest that he is some sort of heir apparent. Utterly risible.

God I hate that man.

Anyway, breathe Jonny. Out with anger, in with love...
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

:rofl: he thinks Cheaty have more fans than Hull. Didn't they recently take 300 supporters to the biggest game in their history?
He just gets everything wrong. I used to think he did it deliberately, but it's such a regular occurrence now, that I'm starting to think he believe his own shite.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

I still want the plastic toy that is Crawley to crash and burn next year, much as I did Ebbsfleet after the FA Trophy defeat. Dreams can come true.

It was a tiny consolation that CTFC went up without the criminal. I now need to rationalise a hatred for Rotherham. I'm sure it won't prove difficult once they start to represent the cynical anti-football that defines him.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

£200k for a Constable..bargin :)

Just because the manager of Rotherham wants to splash silly money on tat does not alter my opinion, the value of O'Kane as a player is only what another club wants to pay for him, the decision for our club is simple if they get an offer for O'Kane they either say yes or no.

I do not believe for one minute their is a release clause in his contract, think about it, why on earth would the club agree to putting a release clause in for £200k, when they would have known he is not 24 and if he refused to sign a contract with out such a clause and left, it's likely the club would recieve compensation greater than that figure.

Our club may struggle to organize ticket sales, when it comes to doing buisness they are not that stupid, £75k for Buckle :clap: