'Howe' was that a red?!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

What was Rene supposed to do ? Defy the laws of gravity ...? He's is a big fella and he could hardly stop himself as the Accy player got the ball. I certainly could not see him "waiting for the man to get the ball then stamp on him". It was a tussle with both players going into it. Obviously in this day and age any physical contact results in a card and the theatrics of the Accy player slapping the grass didn't help. Jeez Rooney did stamp on a player in a recent prem again and wasn't so much as booked.

The commentator saying that Howe "was nowhere near the ball" well obviously not as the Accy player got the ball forcing Howe to fall over. The ball moves ! Again perhaps the ball could have defied gravity and stopped. The incident all happens in a matter of seconds. Rene is chasing the ball but the defender slides in and wins it forcing the big fella over while the ball won in the challenge continues on its way out of play.

Bring back Dave Caldwell !!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Watch rene's right leg and where it goes. I'm glad the majority see it as a red card too, I thought I was in the minority!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dutchgull wrote:What was Rene supposed to do ? Defy the laws of gravity ...? He's is a big fella and he could hardly stop himself as the Accy player got the ball. I certainly could not see him "waiting for the man to get the ball then stamp on him". It was a tussle with both players going into it. Obviously in this day and age any physical contact results in a card and the theatrics of the Accy player slapping the grass didn't help. Jeez Rooney did stamp on a player in a recent prem again and wasn't so much as booked.

The commentator saying that Howe "was nowhere near the ball" well obviously not as the Accy player got the ball forcing Howe to fall over. The ball moves ! Again perhaps the ball could have defied gravity and stopped. The incident all happens in a matter of seconds. Rene is chasing the ball but the defender slides in and wins it forcing the big fella over while the ball won in the challenge continues on its way out of play.

Bring back Dave Caldwell !!

So you agree then, it was a red? ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Rene thinks it was a red, he admits as much on Twitter.

I think that ends the arguement!
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

No attempt on the ball other than that of the Accy player who presented them on a plate...Do that outside the pub and you're in trouble :slap:
Ref was bang on - Clear red card :red:

Would love to know exactly what their player said to get sent off so quickly? - must have been well tasty! :nod:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

Anyone who still thinks Howe shouldn't have been sent off should look at this picture.

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/Red-c ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't look 'accidental' to me.

And if that had happened the other way round in front of the Pop .... and no red?
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Ouch! Guilty as charged your honour.

I was thinking there might have been an element of him just being too slow in the tackle, but it's obvious from that picture that he went for it!

What a ridiculous sending off, I just can't see why he would tackle like that in that area of the pitch? Someone mentioned it elsewhere, but I can't help but think Rene fancied a Christmas break.....
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i wasn't at the game, but stills photos always make those things look worse - having said that, i'm not defending the challenge. it wasn't good, and deserved the red.

i don't know if there is any history between Howe and the recipient of his lunge, or if anything happened during the game before that challenge, but i find it very frustrating that he's done that. having gone through a fair share of clubs, and never settled anywhere, Howe has publicly stated how much he's enjoying life at Torquay, and has been playing really well - he's become a major component in the way we play, he then goes and lets everyone down - himself, the manager, team mates, fans etc etc.

the yellow army have got behind you from day 1 and will continue to do so, so take a look at yourself Rene, appreciate the opportunity TUFC has presented you, and don't let it happen again. i expect a hatrick upon your return !!
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Case closed, not that I ever had any doubts myself.

It still doesn't show a deliberate act but even without that it was a definite red, unfortunate and I hope Winnard doesn't suffer any lasting effects.
Dave

Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I was all for defending Rene and saying it was a yellow. The pic is hard to argue with.
TUST number 080
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Think it was unavoidable to be honest. There lad came in from behind to tackle Howe as he was going forward and Howe's clearly accidently caught him due to the way the Accy lad went in to tackle him..
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Alex, he didn't come in from behind and he didn't tackle Howe either. He slid in to play the ball before Howe got there.
Dave

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Seen it once on the televison and I didn't see anything. It did not even look a foul to me.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

That confirms it then, definite red :)
Dave

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just seen it, no argument from me, few seasons ago he may have got away with a yellow card, now thats a red card all day long.

What makes it worse for me, is you can see the Accy player is going to get the ball first, and looks as if Rene has time to pull out of the challenge, if he had it's a throw in to us, and still 11.v.11 with every chance of getting back in the game.
Formerly known as forevertufc