Telling Time

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Telling Time

Post by Regiment »

Ok, so we seem to have hit that “telling time” we were all slightly concerned about when the season started.

Having lost the odd player to suspension recently, (Manse, Lathrope), and Saah to injury, we’re now faced with three huge games over the Christmas period without Rene Howe. Maybe the latter will prove to be the biggest problem for us, as we all know since Billy Kee left, we’d potentially have trouble if we lost Howe for any period, and now it’s happened, at possibly the worst time.

Ling is looking for Atieno to step forward (on the OS), and naturally we all hope he can, but losing Howe for these three games, in my opinion, is a massive blow.

They were always going to be three tough games, and I think the Plymouth game in particular will be where we miss him most. In the game at Plainmoor, he battered the argyle defence and keeper, and they will be delighted he’s not going to be playing.

Don’t get me wrong, we still have enough quality provided we don't suffer any more injuries etc, but what was always going to be a challenging Christmas period is now gonna be very tough with 9 big points to play for.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
bigleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by bigleigh »

Unfortunately Howe is suspended for 4 games not 3 as stated on the o/s, just hope he doesn't over indulge over his xmas holiday :-/

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/~/link.aspx? ... 9199B&_z=z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

This is a crucial period, there is no doubt about that. However, as long as we pick up some points from somewhere i won't be overly disheartened.

I'm a bit disappointed McPhee isn't going to be given a go up top for this period. By all accounts it was a very assured finish in the weekend by him, and if we can get him confident like he was in the BSP for Kidderminster, then it has been proven he has it in him to score goals. Just as a side note, was McPhee playing the 'lead' role when he came on against Accrington? I wasn't too sure what the team shape was after he was inctroduced?

You never know, Taiwo could be the kind of thing that's needed to freshen up our side. He has decent pace, and can hold up the ball. He is also a target, with a giant leap on him to win headers from what i've seen. He might just be the man to stretch defences and open up more space for the advancing midfielders. A lot of people criticise Rene for his lack of pace and lack of work for the team, from what i've seen, Taiwo has both of those attributes in abundance. He just has to show it. (Like he had to at his last 300 clubs!)
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Good move by Howe, obviously fancied being with family for Christmas :red: :~D
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Anyone think it may be a good move to change systems whilst Howe is out?

The 4-5-1 we are playing at the minute is reliant on Howe. He holds the ball up, creates space for others and is the focal point of our team. Atieno has his attributes, and I have a bit more faith in him than others, but can Tai slot into this role? I fear if we play Stevens, Atieno and Morris up front, the ball may be coming back at our defence a lot. I think there's a case for pushing O'Kane forward, the best way for us to do well whilst Howe is out is to get O'Kane to be as influential as possible:

Morris - Manse - Lathrope - Stevens

--------- Atieno - O'Kane

A suggestion anyway...
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I think it's actually more imperative we don't change system. It is now even more essential to get the best out of O'Kane, Mansell, Stevens and Bodin as the goalscoring burden probably rests with them now. i think changing the system could have an adverse effect on those guys.

We've got enough about us to finish 10-12th or around there, said that from day 1 and nothing has changed my mind, we'll be fine.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

No need to change the system IMO. Atieno comes in as a straight swop for Howe, puts in the workrate, gets himself into goalscoring positions and brings others into play. I'm not asking him to score loads of goals but if he scores none and does all the other bits then i'll be pleased. If he does nonethen he can go for me. Come on Tai - we need you now, we'll all get behind you. Just make sure you do your best. :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I always thought that injuries and suspensions would be the big problem for a club our size as we go through the winter period. But can anyone say they have not been impressed with Martin Ling since he came to Torquay? I have the greatest respect for the man, and faith in him to pull us through to the end of what is already a suprisingly successful season.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Well said....

Lingy's done us proud so far. :bow:
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

JamieE wrote:Anyone think it may be a good move to change systems whilst Howe is out?

The 4-5-1 we are playing at the minute is reliant on Howe. He holds the ball up, creates space for others and is the focal point of our team. Atieno has his attributes, and I have a bit more faith in him than others, but can Tai slot into this role? I fear if we play Stevens, Atieno and Morris up front, the ball may be coming back at our defence a lot. I think there's a case for pushing O'Kane forward, the best way for us to do well whilst Howe is out is to get O'Kane to be as influential as possible:

Morris - Manse - Lathrope - Stevens

--------- Atieno - O'Kane

A suggestion anyway...

I can see your point about Okane but now we have lost one of the spine of our squad we cannot allow Okane not to play in his best position. We have Bodin out too for the Swindon game so it will be Atieno up front for the three games and then see who Ling will bring in.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Im not sure why everyone is so worried about losing Rene.

Im happy the keeper, defence and midfield can be left as it is. With some real tough fixtures coming up i would rather keep a solid base at the back sorted.

Bobby
Oaster Ellis Robbo Nicho
Mans Lathrope O'kane

Thats done us well and our first aim should be to shut up shop and not conseed loads again some big attacking sides.

Going from the 22nd October where we lost to Southend and found ourself some form from there. These guys have scored the goals in the last 10 games:
O'Kane 3
Stevens 4
Howe 5
Nicholson 3
Mcphee 1
Mansell 2
Bodin 2

I know there in a odd order but was writing down like a tally to keep count, but yes howe has scored the most but we have scored plenty of goals with out him. Rene scored in 4 of the last 10 games and we still got some good results. Atieno can fill Renes gap and work just has hard while battling up top using his pace ect. Against Swindon will be tough as we lose Bodin aswell but im sure there is someone who can take his spot out wide.

Keep the system as it is and just fill the gap that needs filling, like i said i would rather keep the back line the same and change a striker if goals are coming from elsehwere its not such a problem
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

We really need a replacement for Howe on loan. Atieno is now the only centre forward we have, and he's inconsistent (I'm sure others would use a different word). If Atieno gets injured, or needs to be substituted (not unlikely given the run of games in a short period), who do we turn to?

We were lacking in options up front at the start of the season, but a change in formation to mean we only needed 3 and a huge step up from Danny Stevens has seen us ok, but now is a big test of that.

Does anyone want us to play Swindon with a front three of Stevens, Atieno and McPhee? As soon as the loan window opens we need to be ready, if we could get someone in for Plymouth that would be a big boost.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

This is probably just what we need and at the right time (to see the strengths/weaknesses/limitations of the squad ahead of the January transfer window.

Always look on the bright side me, see all the constructive positives in the negatives. :)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Brett, may I ask how many games you've seen this season? Howe is far, far superior to Taiwo in every aspect, bar pace. Stronger, better finisher, more composure, better off the ball, and generally a much better outlet up top. He and Taiwo will be totally different, Rene likes it into his feet, Taiwo will want it so he can run on - I have my doubts that Taiwo has the same level of close control that Rene does. Two totally different forwards, one is a key way of how we play, whereas another has not performed too well in the chances he's had. I will support him, but the fact that Taiwo will be playing in some of the biggest games of the season for us fans (Argyle) really worries me.

Fans point to the Bristol game, I'll agree he took the goal well, and played okay, but that was with Rene next to him. I seriously doubt his ability up top on his own, and for that reason I feel we desperately need a striker in, whether its a loanee or a permanent one.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

NickGull wrote:Brett, may I ask how many games you've seen this season? Howe is far, far superior to Taiwo in every aspect, bar pace. Stronger, better finisher, more composure, better off the ball, and generally a much better outlet up top. He and Taiwo will be totally different, Rene likes it into his feet, Taiwo will want it so he can run on - I have my doubts that Taiwo has the same level of close control that Rene does. Two totally different forwards, one is a key way of how we play, whereas another has not performed too well in the chances he's had. I will support him, but the fact that Taiwo will be playing in some of the biggest games of the season for us fans (Argyle) really worries me.

Fans point to the Bristol game, I'll agree he took the goal well, and played okay, but that was with Rene next to him. I seriously doubt his ability up top on his own, and for that reason I feel we desperately need a striker in, whether its a loanee or a permanent one.
Im was never saying Taiwo was as good as Howe but im sure he can do the role needed to do. We have no choice in the matter. He will be training every day to learn what he has to do, he will be prepared and ready. Yes he may not play it as good as Howe does but thats football.

All i was saying was we have our strongest back line and midfield which to me will be key as we will prob spend most of the game against Swindon in our own half. Atienos pace could be important for any counter attacks. I would honestly prefer someone else in on loan but that cant be done til Jan 1st.

We are a pro football club and we have pro players training everyday. There is no excuse why we cant handle the situation and prepare well for the game. Howes out and Taiwo is our only option really so we need to deal with that. I agree though we are very light with cover and Ling will know things need to be done about it.