Club Colours

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Club Colours

Post by Gullscorer »

Everyone these days refers to the Gulls as Yellows, and looking through the various sections of Torquay United's official site I see they are also called Yellows. But in the mid nineteen-fifties the club's colours changed to blue and gold, and reading through the history of the Gulls I can find nothing to indicate when the colours officially changed to yellow - or is it yellow and blue? - or is it still officially blue and gold?

Certainly the kit in recent years has been more yellow than anything else, but is that now the official colour, and if so, when did it change?

Anyone know?

And would you want to change the club colours? Any suggestions?
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Intresting you say that.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Torquay ... United.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking through it, When the club was formed we were white and black. The colour was offically changed to yellow and blue or blue and yellow because of being on the rivera.

Looks to me its always been yellow with blue. With it changed sometimes but im happy with yellow and blue
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Just to put a year to Brett's correct answer above it was at the start of the 1954/55 season that we discarded our old black and white kit and changed to gold and blue shirts and socks and black shorts. It was the manager at the time Eric Webber who decided on the colour change. The gold shirts, more like the Wolves kit colour, lasted for about 3 seasons and then the gold was changed to yellow. Our old nickname of 'The Magpies' was no longer appropriate and it was not until the late 60's that the new nickname of 'The Gulls' came about. Yellow and blue has continued to feature in the club colours but in various combinations. In 1964/65 the colours were all yellow with blue numbers whilst in 1967/68 the colours were all blue with yellow numbers, and we have also had a few virtually white kits with the odd dash of yellow and blue.

EDIT: Apologies to Brett I hadn't looked at the link before posting so didn't know the link clearly shows the date of the change from black and white as 1954. Doesn't look as 'gold' as it apparently was though on the link, although I don't know as I was only 2! ;-)
Last edited by stefano on 10 Nov 2011, 13:02, edited 2 times in total.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

tufcbrett wrote:Intresting you say that.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Torquay ... United.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting link that explaining the various crests used. Always thought our recent is very similar to Motorola :)

-Eirik-
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

my favourite away kit of recent times was our black and white striped kit. Would love to see a return of that.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

rickl wrote: Interesting link that explaining the various crests used. Always thought our recent is very similar to Motorola :)

-Eirik-
It's the same and I heavily doubt Motorola were formed pre 1899. Should sue them for everything they've got. Lets be honest no one would miss Motorola anymore, either that or I reckon we should get a new badge or revert back to the one used albeit briefly in the 70's. Our badge is a bit naff tell the truth.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Thanks for the interesting and illuminating link. Of all the club kits, I think the simplest are the most effective, but I'd like to see yellow with a golden hue, adds a touch of class! And perhaps a Darth Vader away strip would have a more negative effect on the opposition!
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Whats the badge on the shirts from 1978 til 1984. Never seen it before in my life, look quite cool. Well looks more intresting than the one now. Even though we had this badge since 1986, i do feel we could do with a new updated one. A lot of clubs have changed them recently and i prefer them.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Personally I would welcome a return to the old yellow and white stripes we used to wear. I think i'm right in thinking that at the time we were the only club in the world to play in yellow and white stripes.
lovinthatsurf
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: mansell

Post by lovinthatsurf »

I too enjoyed the link thanx
in vino veritas
fallaces sunt rerum species
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

royalgull wrote:my favourite away kit of recent times was our black and white striped kit. Would love to see a return of that.
I second that, I loved that kit. The Yellow and Blue is now the colours of TUFC, but as Royal said I would love to see another away black and white kit.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

I have wished for a purple away kit for some years now. Purple is the opposite colour to yellow in the colour spectrum and I just love the way Devonians say the word "purple"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Still on the subject of club colours but slightly off at a tangent. Does anyone know why we wore white socks with our yellow shirts and shorts at Crewe last saturday? Whats wrong with the yellow ones?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
BernardB
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BernardB »

I remember the change from black and white to gold and blue very well. As the excellent kit website says, the new synthetic material resembled silk and looked extremely gaudy. It did not go down at all well with supporters. At its first home outing the crowd (we used to get 7,500 - 8,000 in those days) greeted it with somewhat stunned silence, then there was a buzz around the ground as everyone discussed it with each other. Part of the trouble was that although it looked acceptable on beefier players who filled it out (eg Ted Calland), on the more diminutive forms of people like Graham Bond the shirt billowed out like a blouse. Obviously the club could only afford a limited range of sizes! Many people felt it looked "un-English" and resented the change. (Bear in mind that the England colours in those days were black and white.) I recall chatting to the then goalkeeper, Eric Gill, about it some time later and he said he was very glad to be a goalie! In those days, of course, all goalkeepers wore green.
whits72
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by whits72 »

Good luck Gull you mentioned a purple kit, If I remember we had the 2nd or third kit in purple back in the mid nineties.

Ps Remember Duane Darby wearing it with a dodgy movember!