Martin Ling's first interview

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

mlw wrote:Boom Boom - get a grip, shake off the depression and cheer the f--k
up.
lol
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I have watched both interviews and I would agree that he does not do TV as well as Buckle but would also agree that Ling seems 100 times more genuine and honest than Buckle. If anything he seemed a little awkward and shy in front of the camera and I wonder how he will be with a bunch of Paul Buckle's players.

I hope he gets in Bodin rather than have, say Alex Russell foisted upon him. Think it would be important for Ling to have his own people around him in the way Buckle did and has done for Bristol Rovers. If Ling gets Alex Russell, people are naturally going to look at Russell as Heir Apparant and I think that would undermine him.

I am warming to Ling. He seems very likeable and really hope he can do what he did at Orient.
SmoothinPedally
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by SmoothinPedally »

He seemed to say all the right things if not in the most interesting way.

I dislike it when people misuse phrases: 'we have our fingers in the pie' for example. He needs to sort that out.
ITV Westcountry
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Charlie Sharples

Post by ITV Westcountry »

Hi Everyone,

The full interview with Torquay's new manager Martin Ling is available on our website.

He talks about plans for the club, expectations for next season and his knowledge of the area.

http://www.itv.com/westcountry-west/ext ... view07704/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We hope you finds this of use.

ITV Westcountry
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Call me perceptive, but judging from that interview, I'd say that he may be from the London area. Just a hunch.........
TUST member 203
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 57,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just read this on the OS. He's saying the right things, i like his approach, and am anticipating exciting times ahead. he's clearly switched on, and relishing the chance to get back into the game, and return to the success he enjoyed at Orient.

you have my attention Mr Ling, i'm looking forward to seeing what you do next. :~D
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

The assistant appointment is crucial IMHO - I would like Alex Russell but its more important that he gets someone he likes.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Fonda wrote: My eye's must be going. It looks Amber, Black and White. I don't relate that to TUFC.
I can confirm it is the latest Torquay United tie Fonda which is yellow with blue and white diagonal stripes. Looks a bit better closer up with the Gulls emblem running all the way down in rows between the stripes and the Torquay United Football Club badge at the bottom in blue on yellow.

Not sure what mlw is on about when he says 'not very inspiring' .... I've got one!!! ;-)
DButler1990
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by DButler1990 »

Two videos now on the Gulls Player at torquayunited.com,

Heres Martin Ling's interview...
http://www.torquayunited.com/articles/2 ... 18_2376851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here's the Chairman's...
http://www.torquayunited.com/articles/2 ... ~1,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

That ITV interview was poor. Kept asking him questions about driving from London to Exeter... who cares?! Fair play to Ling for swiftly changing the subject.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Modgull wrote:The assistant appointment is crucial IMHO - I would like Alex Russell but its more important that he gets someone he likes.

The important thing is to get someone who is good at cleaning seats! :lol: :~D :) ;-)
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

So there was a positive to Buckle telling the staff to drench the pitch!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
orient_fan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by orient_fan »

I'd get used to Ling's cheesy clicheac phrases if I was you; he'll throw them about in almost every interview
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Well I am warming towards him. I'm gonna give the guy a chance. Much more "unsnake" like than Buckle, me thinks. :lol: :scarf:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

diamondgirl wrote:Well I am warming towards him. I'm gonna give the guy a chance. Much more "unsnake" like than Buckle, me thinks. :lol: :scarf:
That s very decent of you. I m sure he ll be delighted to hear it. :~D
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."