The boards view on the next manager

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

People suggesting Manse or Stanley as coaches, they're both only 28! I'm sure that a coaching role wouldn't interest either of them at the moment! Manse could still play for another 6 or 7 years at this level, same with Stanners!

The board need to make the right decision, but they also need to make the decision before we are left even further behind in the transfer market. Rioch with a younger mentor underneath would be good. And, I'm sure there are plenty of older players that would be happy to work in this kind of deal.

Whether or not we could afford an older player to act as a player/coach/assistant plus an older manager such as Rioch is another thing all together.

Colin Lee to come back as manager anyone?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

[quote="TUFC92"]People suggesting Manse or Stanley as coaches, they're both only 28! I'm sure that a coaching role wouldn't interest either of them at the moment! Manse could still play for another 6 or 7 years at this level, same with Stanners!

The board need to make the right decision, but they also need to make the decision before we are left even further behind in the transfer market. Rioch with a younger mentor underneath would be good. And, I'm sure there are plenty of older players that would be happy to work in this kind of deal.

Whether or not we could afford an older player to act as a player/coach/assistant plus an older manager such as Rioch is another thing all together.

Colin Lee to come back as manager anyone?[/quote]

Good god no!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFC92 »

Richinns wrote:
:lol: just to note that it was sarcasm ;-)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I am really quite frsutrated that the board are only looking to discuss the shortlist a week today. We are already 2 and a half weeks behind the rest of the division in terms of player recruitment etc.

They have known Buckle was going. Everyone knew. To simply sit there and decide to do something about the vacant post once he has gone is a bit niaive at best and neglectful at worst. Surely, tentative enquires could have been made to a suitable candidate so that in the even that Buckle went the new man could slot in.

Why is it we have to wait 'to see' who applies? Bristol Rovers earmarked who they wanted.

Was it beyond our board of directors not to earmark Buckle's successor when it was so blantantly obvious he was on his way.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I imagine Bucks 'applied' initially. And after interview he was selected. Why would we offer someone the job until we know who's interested in it?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

tbf to the board, unless they were absolutely certain of appointing someone close to the club and believing that they couldn't get any better, they were in a catch 22 situation because had they advertised the vacancy, it would be as good as announcing that Buckle was off.

I'd rather they take a bit longer so that everyone interested can throw their hat into the ring and thus ensure that we get the best manager we possibly can, rather than a rushed quick fix that may not be the best person for the job.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

hector wrote:I am really quite frsutrated that the board are only looking to discuss the shortlist a week today. We are already 2 and a half weeks behind the rest of the division in terms of player recruitment etc.

They have known Buckle was going. Everyone knew. To simply sit there and decide to do something about the vacant post once he has gone is a bit niaive at best and neglectful at worst. Surely, tentative enquires could have been made to a suitable candidate so that in the even that Buckle went the new man could slot in.

Why is it we have to wait 'to see' who applies? Bristol Rovers earmarked who they wanted.

Was it beyond our board of directors not to earmark Buckle's successor when it was so blantantly obvious he was on his way.
I don't prescribe to this 'we're behind everyone else' factor in rushing an appointment. How many 'decent' signings have fellow L2 clubs made so far? I can think of a couple, nothing more than that...most players are still away on their hollybobs.

Plus how do we know that 'the new manager' isn't already known and hasn't already been working behind the scenes with the board to suggest possible signings?
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

monkeyboy wrote:We've got at least a week of speculation. It's good to hear that applications are coming in from all over the place, we're more attractive than most of us believe!
True, Most managers would be overjoyed to manage a team that has just missed out on promotion, rather than a team full of a load of useless Wan###s that have just got relegated. I believe that Torquay are considered a very decent L2 side with some great young players. :~D :~D
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

There's been heavy flak aimed at the TUFC board recently. Some justified, some unjustified.

Room for improvement ?

Absolutely.

In the "room" called "improvement" there's "room" called manoeuvre.

"Man hoovers" does not happen in the home of a chauvinistic oink. :devil: o:)

We moan, whinge and harp on because we care, right ? How many of us though, put words into action and DO SOMETHING to actually and actively SUPPORT the club ? As it happens, last season, 2000+ regular supporters for starters. It needs to be more.

Some go beyond the role of ordinary supporter and become ordinary supporter/volunteer. Only once last season did I go beyond that expected of the ordinary supporter . . . cleared snow off the pitch.

I can do more. That said, I'm off to other threads to moan, whinge and harp on. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Trojan 67 wrote:Room for improvement ?

Absolutely.

In the "room" called "improvement" there's "room" called manoeuvre.

"Man hoovers" does not happen in the home of a chauvinistic oink. :devil: o:)
I consider myself a fairly intelligent chap but I've spent 10 minutes reading this again and again, and I still can't make any sense of it.

I think Trojan67 is a misunderstood genius.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

happytorq wrote: I consider myself a fairly intelligent chap but I've spent 10 minutes reading this again and again, and I still can't make any sense of it.

i second that !!! :lol:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

happytorq wrote: I consider myself a fairly intelligent chap but I've spent 10 minutes reading this again and again, and I still can't make any sense of it.

Misunderstood aye, genius nay, ordinary supporter who can do more absolutely. Then there's card zero in the Tarot pack . . . "The Fool" ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"