Gary Johnson, Red card ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Dean Mooney, remember him ? Makes Jarvis look like Messi.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

DB57 we are the same era. I first went to Plainmoor in 1954.

I do agree Johnson recruited a very poor squad but I guess, because I do not know for sure, he had a budget which only went so far because Mr. Osborne tightened the purse strings.GJ has been in Football all his life and I am pretty sure if he could have brought in better players he would have.

The team are trying hard to improve but it is like the old saying " you cannot make a purse out of a sows ear".

I still believe just 2 or 3 good recruits in January will enable us to escape relegation.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

To North Curry House, for sure, Dean Mooney was bad, but Allen,Dawkins,Hall, Compton,Impey,Steve Wright,Loram,Walsh,Sims,even Eddie Kelly in 1985 were all decent, even had careers in the football league or went onto have,of course Mooney was bad, but Webb had zero money, and football in general was in a bad place.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Can't agree with that, you have a short memory, Webb literally plucked players out of the South Devon League, like Derek Fowler and Andy Best , got rid of our decent players John Sims, John Turner, David Carr, brought in dross like Durham, Laryea, Dean Mooney, Gary Pugh and played himself a few times , an overweight, totally unfit 38 year old - it was truly embarrassing. Easily the worse two seasons in our history.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Sorry was replying to MrTea
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

portugull wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 17:49 DB57 we are the same era. I first went to Plainmoor in 1954.

I do agree Johnson recruited a very poor squad but I guess, because I do not know for sure, he had a budget which only went so far because Mr. Osborne tightened the purse strings.GJ has been in Football all his life and I am pretty sure if he could have brought in better players he would have.

The team are trying hard to improve but it is like the old saying " you cannot make a purse out of a sows ear".

I still believe just 2 or 3 good recruits in January will enable us to escape relegation.
Portugal
I don’t dispute much of what you say and I’m sure Osborne has tightened the purse strings. However, I doubt very much that our budget was one of the lowest in the league and on that assumption I maintain that Johnson , despite his claims of marquee signings has failed badly. In fact, apart from winning NLS, a part time league, with a full time squad, his achievements at Torquay have been mediocre.
I hope your January recruitment wish comes true but I’m not confident it will be ……are you?
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

To Despardo, I agree, 84 to 86 was bad, but this current lot are next to bottom of division 5 in old money, let that sink in...my memory is fine, I agree with you on a lot, respect your views, but I've talk to an ex player from this era, and trust me, it was bloody tough on and off the pitch, I stand by the players I stated as being good, I agree with you on Webb getting players from local football, crazy idea, but Webby himself only played a few games and netted a screamer at Chester away, sure he was over the hill by the time he came to us as a player, but in his day he was quality. He did get in tony Currie, and some of his signings became Gulls legends.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I agree with Portugull.
Let's see where we are at the end of Jan.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

To say Johnsons achievements at TUFC are mediocre is a tad unfair. Yes, he won us our only title in a part time league, but he wasn't here at the start of that season. He took over from another manager after their poor start, and yet eventually we won the league with ease.
A couple of seasons ago we were around 10 points clear at the top, and only a spate of injuries stopped us walking the league. We were the better team in the Play off final, but it wasn't to be because of 2 terrible decisions. In hindsight, the season after this was maybe the time to start over with another manager. However no one felt we weren't on the up with him in charge.
The other seasons, I feel injuries stopped us being in and around the Play offs in each.

This is the first season where it really just hasn't worked. Injuries, finance or maybe its just gone stale. This must be around the longest he stays at a club?

Regarding people requoting his marquee signings statement, it's getting a bit tiresome now. He knew we'd bought from the bargain basement, he couldn't say that publicly could he. So he fed us the next best line, that these players would come good. This again is the first season where unfortunately more haven't than have.

Regarding club silence. It's a Johnson tactic regarding injuries and signings. He doesn't want the opposition knowing anything they can use. Annoying and frustrating, yes of course, we all want to know any information. In todays world and with our poor form, it doesn't really matter who knows what either. Any team puts us under pressure know we'll crack. It's just a Johnson thing to not say a word.

Will we be relegated, yes it seems likely. Will Johnson be gone, whatever, come the end of it, yes it seems likely. I assume his contract ends then.

Regarding the questions asked to him, I agree they are beyond poor. Either Johnson has forbid it, which seems likely, or the owner has.

Regarding the owner, yes the future looks bleak as our debts rise. But if he walks, then we are finished. I'll be at Yeovil away, because you never know how many games we may have left.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by DB57 »

Taelee73 wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 14:34 To say Johnsons achievements at TUFC are mediocre is a tad unfair. Yes, he won us our only title in a part time league, but he wasn't here at the start of that season. He took over from another manager after their poor start, and yet eventually we won the league with ease.
A couple of seasons ago we were around 10 points clear at the top, and only a spate of injuries stopped us walking the league. We were the better team in the Play off final, but it wasn't to be because of 2 terrible decisions. In hindsight, the season after this was maybe the time to start over with another manager. However no one felt we weren't on the up with him in charge.
The other seasons, I feel injuries stopped us being in and around the Play offs in each.

This is the first season where it really just hasn't worked. Injuries, finance or maybe its just gone stale. This must be around the longest he stays at a club?

Regarding people requoting his marquee signings statement, it's getting a bit tiresome now. He knew we'd bought from the bargain basement, he couldn't say that publicly could he. So he fed us the next best line, that these players would come good. This again is the first season where unfortunately more haven't than have.

Regarding club silence. It's a Johnson tactic regarding injuries and signings. He doesn't want the opposition knowing anything they can use. Annoying and frustrating, yes of course, we all want to know any information. In todays world and with our poor form, it doesn't really matter who knows what either. Any team puts us under pressure know we'll crack. It's just a Johnson thing to not say a word.

Will we be relegated, yes it seems likely. Will Johnson be gone, whatever, come the end of it, yes it seems likely. I assume his contract ends then.

Regarding the questions asked to him, I agree they are beyond poor. Either Johnson has forbid it, which seems likely, or the owner has.

Regarding the owner, yes the future looks bleak as our debts rise. But if he walks, then we are finished. I'll be at Yeovil away, because you never know how many games we may have left.
Put all the hard luck stories to one side and tell me what he has actually achieved.
Yes we were 10 points clear and we did have injury problems but did we take a pro active approach and address them? No
The referee in the play off final was poor but Johnson allowed an injured Jake Andrews to dictate that he would stay on the pitch when the medical team were saying no. At that time we were in the ascendency and the momentum was lost. Poor management.

Johnson has been good in the past but I maintain his legacy at Plainmoor is at best mediocre
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Should bring back Kozela as an option. He works hard, is very mobile and offers more than some on the bench. Give the kid a chance. He came on early in the season and was subbed off later, despite putting in a shift when others were slacking.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by DB57 »

toastkid wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 08:45 Should bring back Kozela as an option. He works hard, is very mobile and offers more than some on the bench. Give the kid a chance. He came on early in the season and was subbed off later, despite putting in a shift when others were slacking.
Think he’s out with a broken ankle isn’t he?
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

DB57 wrote: 31 Dec 2022, 09:49 Think he’s out with a broken ankle isn’t he?
He is. Has returned to Plainmoor and out for at least three months.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

North Curry House wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 17:35 Dean Mooney, remember him ? Makes Jarvis look like Messi.
My god he was awful. Got to be the worst striker we ever had