Keys to Defending Better

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Keys to Defending Better

Post by portugull »

It is no secret we are very poor in defence but in reality we have lost no less than 6 games by 1 goal to nil.

Wrexham smashed us 6-0 but it was one of those days when Wrexham seemed to score with every shot and header.

The best defence in the League is surprisingly Southend who have conceded just 11 goals.

Gary has a real nightmare this week in picking a team to play Notts County who are flying. Kyle Cameron and Aaron Nemane will be relishing this one for sure but what can Gary do with so many out injured.

With Jarvis out for his Red Card surely we will have to go 4-5 1.

To avoid a hammering the boys have got to eliminate the very things that they have been guilty of all season.

Poor discipline, lack of concentration and awareness. Keeping shape. At times we look like a team of 14 year olds because with the exception of Dean Moxey and Asa Hall we are all over the place.

It is easy to criticise but in Professional Sport if you keep making the same mistakes you will get criticised.

It may seem like a gamble but surely Tomlinson deserves a chance. Okoli played well at York but he has shown his lack of experience since.

I cannot fathom why Gary cannot find an experienced Centre Back to get in on loan.

I am trying to find a Prayer Mat for Saturday. Good luck to the lads. COYY.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Simple solution.....as I have said before a no nonsense, experienced centre half would be a start....surely there must be one available on loan
for us.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Build around the spine of the team first. Enquire about Mark Ellis or put Dean Moxey in as a centre back. Stop the ball coming in from wide areas or thru midfield exposing the centre backs. Its symptomatic of a poor team in most positions.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Torbay weekly article indicating that experienced signings being made

Will be all on eyes on the team sheet Saturday
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 21:34 Torbay weekly article indicating that experienced signings being made

Will be all on eyes on the team sheet Saturday
sincerely hope so, much needed for sure.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

I think the problem is far deeper. I’ve had a look at the statistics and unsurprisingly we give the opposition on average far more shots than any other team. We are giving away 18 shots a game. This is a big outlier with most teams giving around 8-10.

I do wonder if the club have any performance analysis going on as I’m sure we would be a clear case of how not to play the game. The statistics basically back up what I’ve seen on the pitch. We are far to easy to play against and leave our defence exposed far too often.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes opposition get far too much room in midfield and in the last third to play the ball around and get crosses in.
With Wyatt and Martin out we need a decent left back for starters and as everyone keeps saying an experienced centre back.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

To partner Moxey in the centre of defence I meant to add.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

You must all admit, this season is ruddy exciting! Saturdays 4-4 was a classic. None of this mid table obscurity for me, the roller coaster than is TUFC any day! Back GJ, back the team. Hold tight and scream if you wanna go faster!
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

toastkid wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 13:04 You must all admit, this season is ruddy exciting! Saturdays 4-4 was a classic. None of this mid table obscurity for me, the roller coaster than is TUFC any day! Back GJ, back the team. Hold tight and scream if you wanna go faster!
Ahhhhhh!
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

The fashion seems to be zonal defence, especially from corners: everyone on the six-yard line, goalkeeper blocked from coming off his line to dominate in the air, no-one on the edge of the penalty area leaving the opposition 2 or 3 players completely unmarked for the inevitable loose ball.
This style of defending was repeatedly shown up by Altrincham taking short corners and being able to penetrate the penalty area for a shot on goal; even the BT Sport commentators couldn't believe that we had not countered this tactic because apparently that is standard practice for Altrincham, and yet we didn't seem to know about it...
For Altrincham's 4th goal they had 2 defenders together towards the back of our defensive line, we had 3 players, including our newly-brought on sub centre half, marking one another and lo and behold the cross went over them all onto a goalscoring head.
We just do not seem to learn from our copious mistakes or poor positioning, and have all season relied upon last-ditch blocking or poor opposition finishing to hopefully not concede.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Would love to see Mark Ellis back here, however we’d have a tough job on our hands convincing him to move back to the area. If he was willing to relocate, Yeovil would probably have a better chance of landing him due to his history with Cooper.
The gulls are going up
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

Chris Todd?
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Regarding defending, at free kicks and corners...all the players should be aware of what's going on around them. Open their eyes and mark the opposition..not just form a queue on the 6 yard line!! B****y Hell it's not rocket science!! Just the basics of defending what you were taught when you first started playing

Would have thought Aaron Downes would know that wtf!!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Well well well, looks like Mr Ellis is back!
The gulls are going up