Sutton United Vs Torquay United 7/3/20

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 23:12 Well what a rubbish day and I do not mean the ground and the supposed hot food which themselves were poor, it was mainly the team, we just did not turn up, we were not interested, we were second rate.From Reid who never made their two large centre half's break into a sweat all game, Azeez , well,not sure why he lasted as long as he did , Evans couldn't hit a pass all game, Hall had a really poor game, our back four were tortured from minute one and had no answer to their attacking options. Some praise for McDonald who kept the score respectable. If we were meant to have practiced all week on a synthetic pitch then I suggest in future we do not bother, we could not gauge the bounce or speed of the ball. Torquay you were an embarrassment. For those who still consider we may make the playoffs then after today I suggest remaining in this league come May must be considered an achievement.
Diasgree re this.
Are you one of the fickle fans?
I remember your posts following Halifax....
Changed your mind??
We will lose games whether we play well - or not so well as we did today.
I think the target was to say in the NL as per what GJ said.
Promotion was fanciful.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

No I am not one of the fickle fans, I have missed two home games in five seasons and I am on my eleventh away this season, regardless of the performance I turn up. I only post on what I see not what I heard from a dodgy commentary. I believe I have a very realistic outlook and I certainly do not dwell on past glories which in our particular case are almost always followed by abject failures.
From that perspective , win or lose I expect effort, commitment and occasionally a small measure of class, when all three of these are missing as they were yesterday it is not unreasonable to question the whole team from the manager down.
Anyone who imagines that we are prepared for the play offs or heaven forbid promotion are deluded, we have too many average players who regardless of their performance realise their position is safe and they are still going to get paid.
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

CLE should be dropped and have Frank Vincent take his place. By all accounts he was poor yesterday and I witnessed both recent home games and he was ineffective in a role in which he should be highly effective!

Ditch this wingback system go back to 442 or 451

Drop Azeez who is very poor

I'd have

Covolan
RB WYNTER
LB LONGRIDGE/DAVIS
CB CUNDY
CB LEWIS

CM HALL
CM BUSE

AML WHITFIELD
AMR KALALA
AMC VINCENT

ST REID

Sign Lolos for next season who is playing well at Dorchester, 6ft 2 a handful and pair up top with reidy next season
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Where do you start with this! We were quite simply very poor, second to everything and were never in the game. In my view and I’ll say it again, only two or three players in the current squad are up to it at this level. We need to start to be honest with our assessments and what we expect from our club. Between 12th and 18th in this league is about right and this will not change next season without a re-think!

Ask yourself, what percentage of headers do we win? If you remove our defensive headers, I would guess between 5% - 10%, that alone will not win or get us out of this league.

Each throw –in is taken short and looking to keep the ball at feet. It looks nice at times and we move it around for a bit and them it’s over without any chance of making a chance to score and press the opposition.

To me this is quite simply a league of giants. The current squad looks like a feeder team, helping get good young players fit and match ready for their parent clubs. These young players will develop in time, but will not deliver the promotion we seek. Yes they can play nice football and will at times as we’ve seen – but it is men against boys.

Jackson Longridge – Sadly I believe that will be his last game for the club, knee ligament damage will keep his out for some time.

Reaction of the Day – When Coby Rowe shouted at the ball boy not to get the ball and I told him the boy was only doing his job, thought Coby was going to cry with his response of ‘I know’.

Torquay Fans – Well done to all who made the trip, our away support is fantastic (most of the time). Having said that what was going on, fans fighting between themselves! A Torquay fan was carried away by first aid staff having been knocked, to have his cut eye treated and two people arrested and taken away by the police after the game.

The Sutton Club Bar was a nice area to relax after the game and enjoy the rugby with my family.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

smw89 wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 10:24 CLE should be dropped and have Frank Vincent take his place. By all accounts he was poor yesterday and I witnessed both recent home games and he was ineffective in a role in which he should be highly effective!

Ditch this wingback system go back to 442 or 451

Drop Azeez who is very poor

I'd have

Covolan
RB WYNTER
LB LONGRIDGE/DAVIS
CB CUNDY
CB LEWIS

CM HALL
CM BUSE

AML WHITFIELD
AMR KALALA
AMC VINCENT

ST REID

Sign Lolos for next season who is playing well at Dorchester, 6ft 2 a handful and pair up top with reidy next season

Buse won’t be back for a while.
“Dorchester”

**** th youth players, we gotta learn our lesson! We need EXPERIENCED players.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

smw89 Klaidi Lolos is a Plymouth Argyle player with very little first team experience.
He did score 4 goals in 9 games at Dorchester in Nov/Dec but we need experience for next season not very young lads with no experience.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I never make comments on games I don't see and I never listen to radio commentary as its so biased. I assume that culmstockgull was at the match and I respect his opinions. I was not at the match and so how can I possibly comment on a game I never saw?
I guess Barnsley Chop was not at Sutton on Saturday, therefore his comments should be flushed down the loo.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

We need an experienced spine to the team.
Goalkeeper
Centre half and captain (Gary Warren?)
Centre midfield (not Asa Hall)
Centre forward
These four plus Little, Reid and Whitfield plus ???
We need players who can't be bullied!!
And sorry Gary stop coming out with the same crap after each defeat and start getting sorted for next season.
Mid table safety is more than adequate for this season.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 07:59 I never make comments on games I don't see and I never listen to radio commentary as its so biased. I assume that culmstockgull was at the match and I respect his opinions. I was not at the match and so how can I possibly comment on a game I never saw?
I guess Barnsley Chop was not at Sutton on Saturday, therefore his comments should be flushed down the loo.
Doesn't matter if I was there or not DawlishPratt....
I was only on about the pitch.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 00:35 Diasgree re this.
Are you one of the fickle fans?
I remember your posts following Halifax....
Changed your mind??
We will lose games whether we play well - or not so well as we did today.
I think the target was to say in the NL as per what GJ said.
Promotion was fanciful.
Finally some perspective, thanks SNW. We had a freakishly good run where we really hit form with a full team, we had a bad run when we suffered shite loads of injuries, and now we’re evening out with the old ‘win a couple, lose a couple’ mid table form which is probably about right anyway.

A lot of fickle posters criticising the likes of Reid, Andrews, CLE completely unnecessarily after one bad game. These are cracking players with lots of potential that we should be happy to have at this level.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

CLE has been poor this season.. If you remember the last time we were in this league... He was here. Was never good then. Id much rather we played Vincent.... He has looked good this season.

If we are to be promoted next seaosn we gotta release many players
Anyone expecting more than play offs is just trying to stay positive. The sooner this season is over the better. Realistically if we are to get promoted
Keep Macdonald as 2nd keeper, He is only 24-25. Can learn by an experienced keeper. Could potentially down the line be Torquays number 1. For now we for certain need an experienced man in the goal. Covolan is 29-30. For a keeper his age, He really has not had experience. so should be moved on

Wynter is 22 still young, He is on par to be a football league player in the future, with Torquay or elsewhere.
We should try get Joe Lewis back on another season loan. We should keep our eyes on the Gary Warren situation at Exeter. He has played one game in the EFL for them and since not made the bench for them. Cameron & Cundy have not performed well this season apart from recent spells. Gary will probably resign Cameron though.

Liam Davis will obviously be given a new contract, we have certainly missed his presence. Although Longridge has stood up to the plate. Davis is our first choice left back any day of the week.... I think Gary was hoping to rest Davis for the rest of the season with Longridge standing up to the plate. With Longridge getting injured I can certainly see Davis return pretty soon.
We should definitely try sign Longridge, been quality for us. We should be looking at a back up for Liam Davis going into next season. We should not risk not having a back up LB. So Longridge would be a perfect addition for us.

Matt Buse will probbaly be offered a new contract, at times this season he has been our best player on the pitch. Asa Hall has not been good enough this season, too slow, at times has looked out of his depth, should not be offered a new contract if we are to push for promotion. There is a reaosn he joined us when we were in NLS.

Vincent I would not keep, need experienced players.

Nemane little said that better get him gone.

Armarni Little no brainier he has to sign for us, although I am sure he signed on a 2 year contract along with Jake Andrew.

Kalala tons of talent but not enough effort, would not keep him. Ben Whitfield give him a 5 year contract.....

Ade Azeez, not seen enough of him yet to judge.. The Reid partenership has not seemed to work, So I won't judge him yet

Lewington has to leave, not good enough, probably returns to Tiverton.

Reid we should try as hard as we can to convince him to stay, we just need an experienced striker to work with him.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

We should be having experienced players but Johnson wants his lightweight loanees with pace. Every fan wants a strong experience keeper too. He wants two playing for a place.