Sutton United Vs Torquay United 7/3/20

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

It is a very small consolation after our defeat today but Boreham Wood had their keeper red carded today ( 2 yellows) so they will have to play their reserve keeper next Saturday against United as they have no mid week game.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Next Saturday's opponents, Boreham Wood, had their keeper Nathan Ashmore sent off in time added on at Maidenhead this afternoon....just clutching at straws!
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Am I being cynical in thinking all the talk about playoffs is to try and add a couple of hundred on the gate?
One more win and we should head into end of season mid-table obscurity for the first time in many a season. Which in my mind would not be a bad thing. Think we would have all settled for that at the beginning of the season!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by nickbrod »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 17:16 . Think we would have all settled for that at the beginning of the season!
Not sure the owner, directors or the manager would agree.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

We hardly troubled their keeper and ours had to make a string of saves. Thismonga against our crap defence next week, Rhead on the bench. Our lightweight team will pushed all over the park . Today they can bring on a Craig eastmond as a sub, plenty of national league seasons under his belt. We bring on a midget in nemane they bring dundas on. Another big strong player, every team has big strong players but us. Some of Halifax subs the other week could walk into a rugby team with ease.Johnson wants fast young players , even Paul Macullum has scored a couple for Barnet. Just the type of player and he goes to them with ease
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Just got back. Not a very good performance. I think our first corner was 10mins into 2nd half. No shots worthy of being called chances. Their no.17 was running us ragged with his pace. Early injury to Longridge didn't help. Looked a bit better 2nd half when Kalala came on. Must have been 300+ fans there in a crowd of over 1800. Both the pub and the chippy opposite the ground were permanently closed. Over all, a disappointing day out!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

grockle wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 20:44 Just got back. Not a very good performance. I think our first corner was 10mins into 2nd half. No shots worthy of being called chances. Their no.17 was running us ragged with his pace. Early injury to Longridge didn't help. Looked a bit better 2nd half when Kalala came on. Must have been 300+ fans there in a crowd of over 1800. Both the pub and the chippy opposite the ground were permanently closed. Over all, a disappointing day out!
Always said Sutton was a sh1thole... :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

grockle wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 20:44 Not a very good performance.
Understatement of the week! It was bloody dire! Johnson's sums up the game nicely, "we were second best" ..."did not have one shot '"..."could not win the midfield battle" .... " their forwards ran us ragged"

I've been to enough games to know you win some, you lose some, but at the end of the match I could not muster a handclap for the lads as they left the field of play. Today they let the club, the supporters and themselves down - badly!

We can forget dreaming of play-off's, rather some serious questions will need to be asked about the quality of this squad for next season - Johnson said today nobody out there looked to be "at this level" something few supporters there today would argue against.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MellowYellow wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:16 Understatement of the week! It was bloody dire! Johnson's sums up the game nicely, "we were second best" ..."did not have one shot '"..."could not win the midfield battle" .... " their forwards ran us ragged"

I've been to enough games to know you win some, you lose some, but at the end of the match I could not muster a handclap for the lads as they left the field of play. Today they let the club, the supporters and themselves down - badly!

We can forget dreaming of play-off's, rather some serious questions will need to be asked about the quality of this squad for next season - Johnson said today nobody out there looked to be "at this level" something few supporters there today would argue against.
Marvellous isn't it....
Fickle fans....
Beat Halifax - a good side in the NL and Chorley - a bad side in NL and all of a sudden we are dire again.
Hate plastic pitches, so willing to let this one go.
Move on.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Attended today's game along with approx 20 family members who live close to Sutton. Unfortunately some were down at Christmas and the last game they saw was Yeovil away!! Their verdict is 'what a complete shambles we are'. I told them before the match that we were on a run of back to back wins and heading for the play offs but feel very foolish tonight. As previously said their winger (17 i think ) ripped us apart in the first half. When we went to 4 at the back he spent most of his time tracking back and was not a threat. I am convinced we are better with a back four!! We created no chances and our front two had no service. What must Lewington be thinking!! Can't get on the pitch even when we are so bad! Kalala was great in NL south but offers nothing going forward or in defence at this level!! Not sure Evans has been the same player since his injury. Andrews and Hall were poor today!! Was going Borham Wood next week but not so sure now!!
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 17:16 Am I being cynical in thinking all the talk about playoffs is to try and add a couple of hundred on the gate?
One more win and we should head into end of season mid-table obscurity for the first time in many a season. Which in my mind would not be a bad thing. Think we would have all settled for that at the beginning of the season!
I've been thinking this for weeks/months. Sounds like something George Edwards would be keen to do. Cant really say "oh we are just looking to stay up" as gates would be dire. It started in the summer with the talk of these 'marquee signings' when they wanted to flog season tickets. We got one decent player in on a free (Little). The rest have been mediocre in all honesty. Our key players Wynter, Reid, Hall, CLE, Andrews, Davis were all here when GJ took the helm.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs

Post by culmstockgull »

Well what a rubbish day and I do not mean the ground and the supposed hot food which themselves were poor, it was mainly the team, we just did not turn up, we were not interested, we were second rate.From Reid who never made their two large centre half's break into a sweat all game, Azeez , well,not sure why he lasted as long as he did , Evans couldn't hit a pass all game, Hall had a really poor game, our back four were tortured from minute one and had no answer to their attacking options. Some praise for McDonald who kept the score respectable. If we were meant to have practiced all week on a synthetic pitch then I suggest in future we do not bother, we could not gauge the bounce or speed of the ball. Torquay you were an embarrassment. For those who still consider we may make the playoffs then after today I suggest remaining in this league come May must be considered an achievement.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Uptongull wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 22:56 I've been thinking this for weeks/months. Sounds like something George Edwards would be keen to do. Cant really say "oh we are just looking to stay up" as gates would be dire. It started in the summer with the talk of these 'marquee signings' when they wanted to flog season tickets. We got one decent player in on a free (Little). The rest have been mediocre in all honesty. Our key players Wynter, Reid, Hall, CLE, Andrews, Davis were all here when GJ took the helm.
Admittedly CLE signed shortly after GJ took over but he was a familiar face.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

He hasntbbe3n the same player at all. In fact quite a few home games of late he gave the ball straight to the opposition