Yeovil vs Torquay United Boxing Day '19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Talk of Argyle signing him. Apparently already agreed and they’ve asked him/our club to not play him. No one knows though. I’m hearing that more and more though
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 23:17 Talk of Argyle signing him. Apparently already agreed and they’ve asked him/our club to not play him. No one knows though. I’m hearing that more and more though
If he is “rested” again on Saturday that will speak volumes about where he is likely to be in Jan - not Plainmoor!
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

“ We have to put our finger on it and do our best to change it as quickly as we can” - GJ, post-match interview

Let me give you a clue Gary...it’s the DEFENCE!
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

I have said all along the goalkeeper coaching is not good enough, and that's not just here it's across the whole country, we are producing want to be keepers along with modelling for advertising whilst trying to play football, the only realy good keeper out there at the moment is kasper shmikel and guess who probably showed him how to play ?. Trying to coach keepers like a production line does not work. You need individualalty as a keeper and you need to be nuts which are to keepers aren't.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Like others I m bored of talking about our defensive frailties so Im glad others have mentioned our pre match warm up. The lack of intensity and focus is clear. Gary had mentioned in his post match interview that the club is providing everything for them for their preparation.
So the goalkeeper coach, Todd and Downsey and whoever else gets involved is completely responsible for these players to hit the ground running from the whistle. Well we are a complete shambles, we are not physically or mentally prepared hence we are conceding from the first minute and yesterday the game was over after 15 min, 3-0 down.
That pre match warm up yesterday was a joke, pathetic. Just going through the motions.
I just cant see what Downsey is bringing to the club, the GK coach what the hell is he being paid for because anyone of us would do a better job than that.
Its plain and simple regarding our players. Many of them are just not up to this level mentally and physically. I think we were overachieving when we got close to the top.
I have never walked out of a game early like I did yesterday, soaking wet and totally disappointed.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I haven't been to Yeovil since we won there in the 2003-4 season. Surely the away end has been covered by now. If not, then when will Yeovil enter the 21st century? It just won't do any more to offer sub-standard facilities to spectators.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Interesting to hear Johnsons post match, at least he took responsibility for a change, listened to it twice now and cannot fathom why he said it is my fault for not putting out the strongest team, why would you not, I cannot imagine a tactical reason for not putting out your strongest eleven unless maybe you knew you were going to be on the wrong end of a drubbing and saved your players for another day against more winnable opposition.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Agree that our back line is utter chaos. This is not new or down to injury's. At Solihull away back in August we were ripped apart in the first half. We had a good run which saw Reid become the leagues top scorer and TUFC become the leagues top scorers. We turned a blind eye to our defensive fragility during this purple patch thinking we would just keep scoring more than the opposition. This very rarely works over a season as good sides are built around a solid defence. Our bad run should have started earlier as I believe we only beat Harrogate at home because John Stead (who terrorised our defence) got himself sent off. Eastleigh away, Chesterfield home, and now Yeovil away, we have been out of the game in the first half hour. Blaming individual defenders isn't going to get us out of the crisis we find ourselves in. Back to basics for the whole team is required as we are now in a relegation battle to avoid regional football. The midfield need to look at how they can protect our back line. Kalala hung winter out to dry for Chesterfield second on Saturday by not bothering to track his man back leaving Winter 2 on 1. A couple of boring 0-0 draws is what we need and something to build on.
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

Start Louis Slough tomorrow
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I think that could well happen and Olaf Koszela.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

What on earth does Ruari Keating have to do to get picked ? - yes, his ball control could be better (shouldn't training sort that out), but he is all commitment, can score and can track back to defend.
CLE is not a goalscorer yet plays upfront, and the new little winger cannot beat anyone except by trying to outrun them and can't tackle.
We have mostly midfielders, so why not pack the midfield (as said above to protect the backline and the wings) and grind out some boring points?
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Louie is returning from an injury so I don't think he's up to match fitness yet.

I spoke to Ruairi a couple of weeks ago. He told me he is doing everything he can, he's training hard and is ready.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Start Keating - whilst he is not a prolific goal scorer at least he shows some desire, will cause chaos amongst the Woking back line and is probably the only forward with the cojones to not allow himself to be bullied by Gerring !
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Agree Keating must start on Saturday - I have been calling for him to do so ever since the injury crisis started. Can't see the point of bringing in diminutive boys who are consistently bullied off the ball no matter how skilful they apparently are. Keating has aggression, a never-say-die attitude and a great engine on him - all qualities which more than make up for any shortage of skill (and anyway he is no numpty in that department either).

Hoping for a positive response on Saturday but fully expecting a heavy defeat on NYD - Yeovil know just how pathetic our defending is and will take full advantage.

Thereafter our season will be defined by the quality of defenders brought in during the January window (we need FL experience) rather than who can be found to replace Reid (if he goes).
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

'Thereafter our season will be defined by the quality of defenders brought in during the January window (we need FL experience) rather than who can be found to replace Reid (if he goes)'

It's been my theory all along that Lewington was brought in to replace Reid, although I was deemed a spoilsport by another poster for saying so (when we were on our winning streak that is).

Better get ready for a relegation scrap I'm afraid and I agree 100% about Keating - he needs to start alongside Lewington NOW!