Welling Utd v TUFC 16th February 2019

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

CP Gull wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 19:02 Really poor from Gerring ... and to think it was us that gave him his chance at National League level!

Fair enough, he’s clearly “made his bed and can now lie in it” as the saying goes .... his actions will certainly mean that he will never receive a good reception at Plainmoor again (no doubt he will still “winge” on twitter when he does though!) ... and am surprised at his actions given that (as far as I am aware) he still lives locally.

https://mobile.x.com/ben_pxrker/status/ ... 3586964482
Hope GJ plays this clip in the dressing room before the Woking game.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

We started well for a couple of minutes, got into a good position in their box and had a clear chance from a header – which ended up the other side of the High Street. After that we created very little until hitting the bar late on.

We played far too many long balls which their tall defenders easily dealt with. I don’t know why we didn’t keep it on the floor.

The ref was appalling and was taken in by Woking’s players falling over at every challenge, feigning injury and wasting time. Their keeper should certainly have been sent off. It was inevitable that eventually we’d have a player sent off.

It’s hard to know whether we’d have played better if the ref had let the game flow.

What’s concerning is that we aren’t beating teams in the play off positions. I think we’re going to need to win at Woking now and our record in this sort of game doesn’t give confidence. At least (provided we finish second) we’d have just two home playoff games but to go up we’re going to need to perform better in the big matches.

Chelmsford & Billericay are now key games.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

In GJ we trust but I expect Dickson with all his experience may well be recalled next Saturday.
In football at any level you cannot win them all so Gary Johnson will know exactly how to play this.
Our next 3 games are winnable Dulwich home, East Thurrock away and W-S-M at home on March 2nd.
No game is easy but these 3 teams are in the bottom 6 for a reason.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

We were awful but weren’t helped at all by the worst referee I’ve seen for a long time. He’s from Plymouth by the way...
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

This game reminded me of Bath away(part 2), yes, the ref was poor even by this divisions standard but to blame him as we seem to is to totally ignore an inept performance, for a seemingly professional outfit, now two thirds of the way through the season we should be fully aware of what we were likely to encounter, we were not savvy or switched on enough and I agree with an earlier posting that our insistence on long high balls when we have surely the smallest strikers in the division is totally beyond my comprehension, our central defenders were slow and pulled all over the place, I am disappointed that they did not put in a performance today. Welling had a superior game plan to ours in every area and this is not the first time this season that has occurred. A long and expensive day out with nothing to show.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Today's defeat is a big reality check. It tells me that the match at Woking on April 6 is going to be crucial.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 17:09 Before the alarm bells start ringing out loud! Let's keep calm and leave our trust in GJ. First defeat in god knows how long!
Second defeat in four games. But as pointed out by Rob it does bring into question our performances against the promotion contenders.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its not a reality check at all.

Some quite interesting observations on the other site about todays referee who it seemed bottled a decision in the first half by failing to send off the Welling keeper.

It seems that he has refereed Welling three times at home this season - they have won all three, he seemed familiar with some of the Welling players and in one of their games gave them a very cheap penalty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We lost, get over it. What counts now is the next game.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

We were terrible all afternoon , even well into the second half fans were shouting out "pass it". We just launched everything up in air to their big defenders no surprise we didnt head any. Also when in defense our defenders couldn't cope with the big units in there. Cameron and Sendells are twins really both the same height and stature and pass the ball well. Niate should have been playing against these from the start, once he was on everytime we had corners or free kicks, the big defender had more to do. Ref was poor for sure but how we played and performed was much worse.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

The comments from Gary Johnson are as usual spot on.
Welling can certainly do us a favour if they beat some of our closest rivals over the next few weeks.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Trouble is these teams raise their game for us and not against others. Look at Bath since they beat us - absolute garbage
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I wonder if the posters who are moaning about the ref are the same ones who were smirking and gloating when Woking fans were complaining about the ref after their recent home defeat to Dartford? What goes around, and all that.

There are going to be blips like this for the rest of the season. For us, Woking and Chelmsford and the other front runners. There will be more poor refs for certain, although on the whole I think the refs we have had at Plainmoor this season have been reasonably okay. There will be times when we'll hit the post or the bar instead of a goal, and I expect we will pick up a few injuries, although hopefully nothing serious. That's football. This bliddy game that raises our blood pressure every week ........
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 22:22 Second defeat in four games. But as pointed out by Rob it does bring into question our performances against the promotion contenders.
Yes apologies I forgot about the Bath defeat! I still believe 10 wins out of the last 14 should see us to up as champions. Next 3 are very winnable if that happens should put us in a great position.
I am sure GJ will know what is expected.
I tend to agree with most others the playoffs would not be fun! One hopes Billericay and Chelmsford have peaked too early
Cockney Cockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Cockney Cockers »

We were poor yesterday, almost too quick, dare I say rushed to come up with the goods. The passing was overhit in to the channels with too much expectation that our whippets up front would gallop on to the tit bits.
Well said Tomogull regards the ref. Yes he was 52 - 48 in favour of Welling but we were fouling a lot. I find it cringingly embarrassing sometimes with the amount of abuse hurled at anybody (refs, players)who, in the opinion of some have committed such an injustice to us that they deserve all sorts of "fixtures and fittings" launched in their direction. It smacks of the child in the playground "it's my ball so we're not playing" mentality.
Aside the result I had a good day yesterday enjoying a few pints with some chums who come from Welling (Wolves & Chelsea fans of course), even meeting the parents of their evil keeper in the clubhouse after. "He's a lovely boy, but that was an orange card wasn't it?"
We should all rise above the cheap shots at everyone and anyone when things don't go our way and get over it. The vein popping ranting is the last vestige of a scoundrel after all.
I even think that the Ben Gerring thing is a bit of a chuckle. Good on him I say. We showed him the door. He is now enjoying himself with his new club and his new fans. Don't take offence so easily. His ironic chant was funny and I personally don't give two f's.