7.30 Saturday Kick offs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I grew up going to watch those evening games, can still 'smell' the atmosphere. Like candyfloss to a young child.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 10:57 I grew up going to watch those evening games, can still 'smell' the atmosphere. Like candyfloss to a young child.
So that's why they came to a sticky end
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

I hate to say this, but there was many a Saturday when I used to watch Exeter in the afternoon and Torquay in the evening!! Just loved my live football, Honest!!
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

grockle wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 11:36 I hate to say this, but there was many a Saturday when I used to watch Exeter in the afternoon and Torquay in the evening!! Just loved my live football, Honest!!
I think you should be banned... for life! :lol:

Used to love Saturday night football. Play (or my version of it) on a Saturday afternoon, get home, grab something to eat... head off to Plainmoor. Crowds were huge those days compared to now (7-9k being the norm as far as I can remember). Plainmoor. Under the Lights. Big crowd. The Mini Stand in full voice. Loved it.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Yep, halcyon days indeed, played for Bishopsteignton utd in the afternoon,then down to Plainmoor in the evenings, then mooch down to the Hideaway club for afters.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Who? ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Ooh Dave, you bitch, meeeowww :lol:
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I do remember watching Lincoln at Torquay in about 2005 (I guess this year, it was either 03/04 or 05/06, because we were in different division in 04/05) and the Imps had three players sent off - 2 of which were in the last few minutes, including the keeper (Marriott??) who seemed to totally lose it.

I think we won, too.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

I remember going in the 70's to them... Loved the atmosphere!
I also recall on Grandstand, when the read out the results at 4.45pm, when they got to our fixture in the list they would say........
"Torquay United v ........... is an evening Kick-Off at 7.30"
Then on Match of the Day you would get the result!
Class. :clap:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

southparkerimp
Trialist
Trialist

Post by southparkerimp »

Thanks again for the replies.

Tommy Northcott was well before my time but I did write the obituary for him that was used in Lincoln's programme and website back in 2008 whilst I was only four at the time of the FA Cup game so no recollection of that one either.

Alan Marriott was the goalkeeper sent off along with Paul Morgan whilst Lee Beevers had already seen red that day. It is said that when Marriott and Morgan got to the dressing room Beevers asked them how the match had finished believing it must have been full time! I seem to think Alan Connell got under the skin of Morgan and Marriott down near the corner flag leading to both reds. By a weird coincidence it is 19 years ago today Feb 12 that Marriott made his Imps debut in a 2-1 City win over Torquay.

Enjoyed all the memories and hopefully the simple question has brought some back for you as well. Good luck for the rest of the season. City had some bad times against Woking so hopefully you will beat them to promotion!