The Gary Johnson effect

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 20:16 I wasn't stating it was an issue just a sign that the "investment" isn't as significant as would normally be associated with a club hellbent on promotion as part of its business plan.
Agreed. If anything, increasing and playing the ‘young loanee from higher up the pyramid’ contingent and cutting the permanent squad numbers, (Williams, Wright, Banton, Bawling, Regis and probably soon Nabi) as GJ has successfully done since arriving, is probably a net ‘save’ on where we were under Owers.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

We have scored at least two goals every league games (eighteen matches) since GJ took over.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

EddUK12 wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 22:08 Why spend 100k when 10k will get the same result ie winning the league? Afterall you can only win the league your in
Agree. GJ’s trimming of permanent squad numbers has been successful and left us with a decent sized rump that he is happy to keep for the next level up. The smaller group and loanee contingent has come together under a quality manager quickly and in a way we haven’t seen for years, albeit at this level.

The Gary Johnson Effect, as the OP puts it, has been remarkable. Our style of play is a joy to watch and the results well beyond what any of us could have expected from this season a few games in under Owers. The stat gateman highlights is such an impressive one and gets you really in the mood for Saturday to come.

It is great to actually see players improving their game while with us. They also look to be enjoying their football. Both these aspects have been in very short supply under recent previous Managers. We haven’t won anything yet, and he’ll keep reminding them of that until they have.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

EddUK12 wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 22:08 Why spend 100k when 10k will get the same result ie winning the league? Afterall you can only win the league your in
:goodpost:
Seriously, this is one of the most sensible comments ever made on this site by anyone.
And that, believe it or not includes all of my very informative well balanced twaddle !
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

What factor does the extra crowd we are getting into any equation. Must be fair to say we getting and will get extra 500 fans on average so inc concessions that's extra 5000 a game and that's got to be worth 50000 minimum as well. Fair to say if struggling with owers we would be lucky for 1200 , know we have had 3500 plus but i would a average of 2500 easy since Johnson came in. So those figures I would say are rather modest
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 14:50 What factor does the extra crowd we are getting into any equation. Must be fair to say we getting and will get extra 500 fans on average so inc concessions that's extra 5000 a game and that's got to be worth 50000 minimum as well. Fair to say if struggling with owers we would be lucky for 1200 , know we have had 3500 plus but i would a average of 2500 easy since Johnson came in. So those figures I would say are rather modest
A good example of how wise investments actually can bring £ notes into the club!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Midlandgull wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 16:00 A good example of how wise investments actually can bring £ notes into the club!
Basically the increased crowds are paying his wages. However, he has removed the non performers without unsettling the team. Why have a squad of 20+ in the conf south when the squad of 15 ish is doing great.
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Competition for places for one thing and to cover injuries as well. I think people are missing my point. You don't need a large squad to get by but if you want to win a league then you need the above, Johnson said so himself when he first took the reigns.

We've been very fortunate that the squad has coped so far and going out of the cup competitions relatively early also helped.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

A small squad is fine providing it has quality running through it, which ours has now, for this level at least. You obviously hope you don’t get too many injuries or suspensions, which again we seem to have coped with. Also at this level you can only have 5 subs so you also have the problem of keeping players, who are not in the match day squad, happy. A fine balancing act for any manager.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

As there is no transfer window we can act quickly if an injury happens. Opi picked up a knock and now we've got the lad in from Bournemouth. We should be OK!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

The one you've been missing since my first post on this topic

Southampton Gull wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 09:20 No doubt he's had a dramatic impact on the club. In still struggling to see how people can talk about the 'backing' from Osborne though. Yes he's addressing a lot of issues, hardly breaking the bank though. We've got a tiny squad bolstered by loanees and we're in the NLS. Hardly flashing the cash and meanwhile the club owes more and more through various loans.

I credit Osborne with having an MO that certainly seems to hoodwink fans into believing his bullshit.

I'm certainly enjoying the winning mentality introduced by Gary Johnson but mindful of the fact we've slipped so far backwards since he acquired the club and we've had to sink to such a low level before we stopped the rot.

Credit to GJ, but CO can hardly be regarded as a saviour with his style of business.

It was in relation to the praise given to Osborne for the funding being given. He's got away with that purely down to the revelation that Johnson has been. For a club with our supposed aspirations the playing staff is a little stretched and not what you'd expect from an ambitious well backed club at this level. All the points raised about GJ I'm in total agreement with, just not buying into Osborne flashing the cash to get us promoted because he hasn't just like he didn't to stop us being relegated in the first place.
Dave

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 22:23 The one you've been missing since my first post on this topic

It was in relation to the praise given to Osborne for the funding being given. He's got away with that purely down to the revelation that Johnson has been. For a club with our supposed aspirations the playing staff is a little stretched and not what you'd expect from an ambitious well backed club at this level. All the points raised about GJ I'm in total agreement with, just not buying into Osborne flashing the cash to get us promoted because he hasn't just like [highlight=yellow]he didn't to stop us being relegated in the first place.[/highlight]
Which, as we know Dave he could have done if he'd have employed the right manager after firing Kev Nic.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

EddUK12 wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 06:55 Why hasnt he flashed the cash? The club remained full time when could have gone part time which is the norm at this level. Including overnight stays if required.

He has obviously put aside the money for the manager to spend if required which is being spent on loan signings if and when required.

As the bristow years proved (and so many clubs and chairmen in football over the years) you can splash the cash all you want but it doesnt mean you get a result you want. Get the right personel and structure and you can acheive so much more.

I have to ask if as stated by many the owner wanted the club relegated why then employ GJ, stay full time wasting more money and get promoted? (assuming we do) what does the owner get out of that?
The finance that has been put into the club by Osborne is by why of a loan. Which he can call in at any time.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

EddUK12 wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 06:55 Why hasnt he flashed the cash? The club remained full time when could have gone part time which is the norm at this level. Including overnight stays if required.

He has obviously put aside the money for the manager to spend if required which is being spent on loan signings if and when required.

As the bristow years proved (and so many clubs and chairmen in football over the years) you can splash the cash all you want but it doesnt mean you get a result you want. Get the right personel and structure and you can acheive so much more.

I have to ask if as stated by many the owner wanted the club relegated why then employ GJ, stay full time wasting more money and get promoted? (assuming we do) what does the owner get out of that?

Missing the point yet again.
Dave

dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I'm afraid that whatever happens to the club in the future, many people will still post negative comments concerning Clarke Osborne. supernickywroe comments that Osborne's funding of the club is in the form of loans which he can call in at any time. Can anyone please explain to me what assets TUFC have that could pay off the millions that Osborne had put into the club. People often comment that Mr Osborne never attends games. Well I don't blame him. He to date, has done nothing but good to the club and I'm sure that the likes of supernickywroe, merse btpir and many other would be happy if he simply walked away. Since he saved our club, I have read so many comments concerning Osborne, Harrop and Gary owers. Apparently Harrop is related to Osborne, he lives in the same village as Osborne on the outskirts of Bristol, he's next door neighbour to Osborne and numerous other false stuff on this site. I don't pay much attention to this rubbish, I only deal with facts. Like him or not, Osborne saved the club.