Torquay United v Truro City (Boxing Day)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No result is certain, we all know that.

Truro have had an excellent upturn in form given their meagre resources and have only lost once in nine games or something. They beat Dartford 2-0 away but Dartford had Rhys Murphy sent off in that game after half an hour.

I know someone who saw their 3-2 defeat of Dulwich and he said that they were extremely lucky to win that game. Pittman has been on the bench for them of late - I presume that he won't be able to play against us though. I don't know whether Ben Harding is still there - he hasn't been featuring lately, neither has Louis Rooney. They have signed a couple of players from Plymouth Argyles development squad - Rooneys brother who is a midfielder and has scored two goals in each of hius last two games! and a centre half.

They also have just signed a player from Tiverton on non contract terms.

The bookies have us at 6/1 on and Truro at 12/1 which sort of sums it up really though.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

One thing for sure is that GJ won't be underestimating Truro, They have an awful lot to gain and absolutely diddly squat to lose, They will be digging very deep and fighting for every ball, whatever they lack in it won't be in heart and effort which is a very dangerous animal. we do not have a divine right to win this game and Truro will be wanting to upset TUFC. We on the other hand DO have a lot to lose as it will be terribly embarrassing to be beaten by these "bunch of partimers" who do not experience a queue at the coffee/burger stand or the toilets never mind the turnstiles.
Although I think most of us will agree that we have a lot of trust and confidence in the ability in GJ and the team to overcome.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Looking forward to this one. Every game is a potential banana skin when you are at the top. I am sure GJ is well aware of that. As the season goes on I can see us and Woking pulling away from the rest, with both of us having the odd hiccup on the way. It's a cliche but taking every game as it comes and trying to beat whoever is put in front of us and the odd dodgy ref is all we can do.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

:goodpost: Fred. I think that's about spot on.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

My prediction is a 3-1 win. Further, over these next 11 days we are going to win all 4 home games getting 12 points and also scoring 12 goals. Remember where you heard it first.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

samuel wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 17:24 My prediction is a 3-1 win. Further, over these next 11 days we are going to win all 4 home games getting 12 points and also scoring 12 goals. Remember where you heard it first.
If we can make more of set pieces, especially free kicks, it could be more than 12 goals. We are really going to hammer one or two sides in the coming days. :scarf:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 11:57 No result is certain, we all know that.

Truro have had an excellent upturn in form given their meagre resources and have only lost once in nine games or something. They beat Dartford 2-0 away but Dartford had Rhys Murphy sent off in that game after half an hour.

I know someone who saw their 3-2 defeat of Dulwich and he said that they were extremely lucky to win that game. Pittman has been on the bench for them of late - I presume that he won't be able to play against us though. I don't know whether Ben Harding is still there - he hasn't been featuring lately, neither has Louis Rooney. They have signed a couple of players from Plymouth Argyles development squad - Rooneys brother who is a midfielder and has scored two goals in each of hius last two games! and a centre half.

They also have just signed a player from Tiverton on non contract terms.

The bookies have us at 6/1 on and Truro at 12/1 which sort of sums it up really though.
Tbh pretty staggered by the odds 1/7 for a win but if you fancy a double chance on a Torquay win/draw we are 1/80 on sky bet.
Lucy
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Plus the fact that Truro’s ‘home’ record is worse than their away so maybe that says they don’t like playing at Plainmoor. And that fear may be increased with a large crowd supporting United!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Should be a good crowd...know a few people going who don't go that regular ....is 3000 a bit optimistic???
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Think 3000 may be slightly optimistic bearing in mind we have 4 games at Plainmoor in the space of about 11 days so some people may have to chose which one or ones to go to. Wish I had bought a season ticket now! (Usually get an option to buy one for the remaining half a season but not this campaign it would seem?)
TUFC__12
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Connor Evans

Post by TUFC__12 »

I think maybe 3000 is a bit optimistic but hopefully should be leaning more towards that amount considering we are top of the league and things are going great for us, but as DWB said people have to choose which one or which ones to go to. Boxing day is normally one of the big games that people like to go to, so fingers crossed weather is okay for later and the pitch is hopefully in good shape. lets hope we get the result we are wanting to stay top of the league. My prediction for today is 4-1 with saikou or Jake to score first, unfortunately Ruairi isn't back today because of his straight red at Boreham Wood but I think comes back for the Truro game on the new years day.
TUFC__12
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Connor Evans

Post by TUFC__12 »

I've heard that on the New Years Day against Truro season ticket holders have to pay to get in because its still classed as an away game for TUFC, is this correct?
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

TUFC__12 wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 09:41 I've heard that on the New Years Day against Truro season ticket holders have to pay to get in because its still classed as an away game for TUFC, is this correct?
Yes it is the case. It’s an away game. Confirmed on th OS yesterday
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

The 'away' game would be a good opportunity for Truro to show their gratitude for the use of Plainmoor, by letting kids in for free and a significant ticket price reduction for everyone else.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes it's an away game for us new years, the prices have already been announced. Truro would probably say they've already shown the gratitude by paying rent for the use of our ground for the year.

As for todays, they're all important now, Woking have hot a rich vain of form also, we simply have to keep the pressure on them by winning our games, should be a big crowd today in full voice.
Formerly known as forevertufc