Gary Johnson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Arelbee
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Gary Johnson

Post by Arelbee »

I have read from a distance the last 5 or so years with great sadness. As a 51 year old professional man I still know the crazy child like feeling a goal, a win, a success from your true football team can give you and I feared that was gone forever.

I stopped attending games in the main when Hargreaves started getting above himself and continued my excile when (in many ways to be applauded) Kevin Nicholson took over - another novice at the wrong time. I think there is a good manager in their if Nico treads the right developmental steps - though not sure he gets that in Cornwall!

I then met a Bath City footballer on a train the week after Owers was appointed and he warned we would al be desperately depressed after 3 months - I see where he was coming from!!

Then Gary ‘left field’ Johnson arrives. I have seen every home game since he came, despite living 75 miles away - and a couple of away ones.

I was lucky enough to be a regular guest at Huish Park through his heady conference days and I have never seen better football played in my life. Pace in passing and attack, high energy pressing and commitment from every player for every minute.

I am seeing the start of the same with our team at Plainmoor now. The team is constantly improving, and so long as all the behind the scenes uncertainty doesn’t derail us, I would back him to have us back in the football league in 2-4 years and provide him with a great retirement gift.

Two things stood out for me against Welling (I sit directly above GJ in the Bench):

1. In the 94th minute he lambasted Saiko for not sprinting to close the ball down in the corner - that’s the attitude of a winner, and
2. At the end of the game, He repeated his fist clench salute to the Popside cheers when he came over to the Bench, clearly wanting To get the whole Stadium to the same feelgood factor.

Small things but it really felt like we’ve got our club back. Let’s hope the momentum continues and Osborne sees something in it. Not holding my breath, but if we carry on in this way it can surely do us no harm.

So to Gary - thank you - the miles are going back on the clock, Saturdays are taken again, the wallet is of course a little lighter, but all worth it for those big kid moments!
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

Couldn't agree more, we have always attended when we can but traveling up from Tavistock it's at times been more for blind loyalty than enjoyment in recent years.

My son is now 8 and although he has bought into being a gull to follow his dad and the rest of our family I've always felt guilty that all he's seen since he got into is failure mixed with depression. Since Gary has taken over its be a pleasure to attend and I'm so pleased my boy has seen what Plainmoor can be like when we have something to get behind.

I'm by no means getting carried away, we still have a huge amount of problems withing the club but at present we have a manager who is a breath of fresh air and I intend to enjoy it for as long as it lasts!