Pre-season friendlies 2018

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

You will have to find another Torquay player to have a tedious go at every week next season
Luke Young is a tough tackler himself which you would know if you had seen more than a handful
of games this season, alright two handfuls
Rusty8unny

Post by Rusty8unny »

sgf wrote: 21 May 2018, 20:46 [highlight=yellow][/highlight] No debate from me , 100% agree, although Phil Lloyd was a giant
Nah, can't agree, it's got to be Craig Taylor & Stevie Woods for me 2004, integral part of the the best side I have witnessed in a Torquay shirt.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 22 May 2018, 08:02 Once again; 'best' being bestowed through personal experience ~ the best centre back pairing I remember being Alan Smith and Jimmy Dunne c 1966.....it has been a steady transgression since then with lesser mortals being elevated to 'immortal' status by less privilaged supporters and complete idiots being imposed on us as self appointed legends ~ when a player decides to refer to himself as a legend then we know it really is all over.
Yes - Alan Smith & Jimmy Dunne were a very good pairing. Alan Smith wasn't a flamboyant player in the mould of Clint Boulton, Dick Edwards or Guy Branston and I think he tends to be forgotten, but he knew his role and he was a very good player.

I think Colin Bettany holds the record for playing the most number of consecutive games (a record I don't think Josh Gowling will beat .......). Hard as nails - never got injured and I don't think he ever got sent off. Oh yes - Jimmy Scoular. You wouldn't want to bump into him in an alley on a dark night! :whistle:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: 22 May 2018, 23:16
I think Colin Bettany holds the record for playing the most number of consecutive games (a record I don't think Josh Gowling will beat .......). Hard as nails - never got injured and I don't think he ever got sent off.
September 1964 home to Stockport County. A dour game in baking hot early season heat. I think the heat got to him as he and the County striker were sent to cool down after breaching Queensbury rules! Robin Stubbs sealed the points in a 1-0 win in front of a normal crowd for that time of over 5000. That was of course to be Eric Webber's last season as manager and the season of the memorable FA Cup game against the Spurs....but all that was still to come as Colin Bettany headed for the tunnel on that hot September afternoon.....
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Colin Bettany was called 'The Beast' for a good reason! He was certainly the hardest-ever United player; he looked like a Teddy Boy as well. Reg Wyatt looked like your uncle, bald and wrinkly, but he was - and is - unforgettable. Mind you, Reg Jenkins looked like your friendly neighbourhood butcher.
I was at the Red Star game, perhaps the hottest ever temperature recorded at Plainmoor occurred that afternoon.
As for 'Robin Stubbs sealing the points'....well, that could be the theme for United in the 60s.
I remember that the Herald used to bewail the fact that United were dependent upon the 'faithful four thousand' - where are they now?
I've always thought that a hard man was essential to the make up of any team. Branston was good, and Phil Lloyd (whom we called 'Mr. Consistency') was just that - but no-one could beat 'The Beast' for hardness - not even Jimmy Scoular!
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

How lucky Stefano and I were to see a player like Colin Bettany. I was in awe of the man, my step dad was in awe of him. Unbelievably tough, I would love to see Akinfenwa play against him. Bettany had skill as well but goodness, a man of steel. Just look at team photos of him. No smile, a scowl. Stefano is correct, a toe to toe punch up in the centre of the field with the Stockport centre forward, a proper fight. There was a communal bath at Plainmoor until the start of the 1960-61 season. One bath for home and away teams. I don't know how the protocol worked, whether they all got in together but imagine having to share a tub with Bettany after he had been bullying you all match. Surprised he didn't drown anyone.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

As this is a pre-season thread. We now play the almighty Dorchester town away on July 28th.
Lucy
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

lucy6lucy wrote: 23 May 2018, 22:10 As this is a pre-season thread. We now play the almighty Dorchester town away on July 28th.
They are all pre-season threads at the moment ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: 23 May 2018, 07:20 September 1964 home to Stockport County. A dour game in baking hot early season heat. I think the heat got to him as he and the County striker were sent to cool down after breaching Queensbury rules! Robin Stubbs sealed the points in a 1-0 win in front of a normal crowd for that time of over 5000. That was of course to be Eric Webber's last season as manager and the season of the memorable FA Cup game against the Spurs....but all that was still to come as Colin Bettany headed for the tunnel on that hot September afternoon.....
Bliddy 'ell, Stefano - you must be damn hot in that anorak this weather! ;-) Thanks for info about the sending off.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

stefano wrote: 23 May 2018, 07:20September 1964 home to Stockport County. A dour game in baking hot early season heat. I think the heat got to him as he and the County striker were sent to cool down after breaching Queensbury rules!
And the man in the opposite corner was former Blackburn and soon to be Crewe Alexandra centre forward Ian Sandiford if memory serves me correctly.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

merse btpir wrote: 24 May 2018, 07:30 And the man in the opposite corner was former Blackburn and soon to be Crewe Alexandra centre forward Ian Sandiford if memory serves me correctly.
Well I could not have done it from memory but I looked it up and yes it was Ian Sandiford who had just signed from Blackburn Rovers in the summer. Something I noticed when researching I had also forgotten. I mentioned that 1964/65 was the year of our famous 3-3 draw with Spurs in the 3rd round of the FA Cup; Well bottom of Division 4 Stockport County went one better reaching the 4th round, and nearly winning at Anfield when eventual cup winners Liverpool can think themselves lucky to come away with a draw, giving them a second chance which they won 2-0 at Edgeley Road (if that was the correct name for Stockport's ground, I think it was something like that!).
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Very interesting research Stefano - being a Manc lad in origin I used to watch Stockport County at Edgeley Park quite often when Man U weren't playing at home (Edgeley Park was much nearer my home than Old Trafford). I remember very clearly a young Kevin Keegan playing for Scunthorpe United against Stockport and being very ordinary indeed - you would never have guessed he'd be such a star in years to come with Liverpool.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

To up the 'sad git' stakes even further. The day Stockport almost won at Anfield was the 30th January 1965. I was at Plainmoor that day watching the reserves. Mike Turner was in goal for Torquay. When the half time scores were put up it showed Liverpool 0 Stockport 1. I commented to Mike Turner about this as I was gobsmacked by the scoreline and he completely ignored me, instead wandering off to the end of the area. Crestfallen, I told my step dad and he said 'What do you expect, he is a pro, can't get distracted'. A salutary lesson for me. Think Ernie Pym and Reg Wyatt were playing that day as well. And our opponents - Dorchester Town who we beat 2-0 and who we now play in a pre-season friendly on 28th July - so these 60's postings link nicely.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

And, keeping to the theme of players' physiognomy, Ernie Pym DID look like a milkman!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Mike Turner - certainly no John Turner, dont think he played many first team games, played a few after
Terry Adlingtons career ended at Shrewsbury, before Gary Mcguire who didnt last long after our
promotion, another injury perhaps or maybe he went back to Australia, dont remember, but thought
he was an excellent keeper