Harrop

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ministander
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: willie brown
Watches from: Pop side

Post by ministander »

i think we should all wait and see what transpires, but i for one will not be buying a season ticket (today), as i had planned to do!!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

This will probably sound heartless but for me the most important thing we get this summer with the new owners is a budget where we can compete in the league, Ideally with Nicho as manager, he's earned that shot and to upset that apple cart would be strange however not unique to football. Leicester fans were planning protests at the start of this season when Pearson was replaced after their great escape....how's that worked out?

The club s always the bigger picture than an individual, We had it before when Atkins got harshly sacked having kept us up and if the new owners are willing to put the money in, give us a budget where we can compete for promotion but they want their own man in then so be it. That is preferable to me anyway than keeping someone out of pure loyalty and having another season like this one. The last 2 months has been great but staying up in this league is not success.
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Angus Mac

Post by Flipper »

monkeyboy wrote:Yes he probably does have more connections than Herrera and Nicholson combined. Playing for a top club does not mean you will have meaningful connections, certainly not more than somebody who has had a variety of roles around the country and in particular working as a scout. Anyway, Harrops connections is just another facet which makes him ideal for a role at TUFC for the owners to be. I certainly wouldn't want him as manager and I hope to God the new owners don't want him as manager. I think, though, that he may have something to offer and wouldn't necessarily rock the boat like some people fear.
What makes you think he won't "rock the boat" ? especially if there is something in it for him. You seem to know a lot about him !! The point is that unless his role is to run the youth set up, in which case there will possibly be funding from the football league that would contribute to his wages if not fully cover it, then any other role would involve a wage paid for by the club. He won't have left Yeovil for nothing so any wage paid for by the club means one or possibly two players less in the squad.
I hear that the budget for next year is similar to this year which doesn't inspire confidence and basically means that the new owners are not interested in any sort of promotion push. This begs the question, why do they want to take the club on ? because on a similar budget next season will also mean a struggle to get players in and pay decent wages.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Given the new owners (or current owners talking about the new owners - I forget) said early on that they didn't care if we were releagted or not suggests they aren't going to care about promotion either. Maybe, if they think the club can afford to employ their mate Harrop then employ him it will. Makes no difference to them, so long as the club stays ticking over and enables them to do what they do best and make money from the stadium that is all that matters.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Flipper »

PhilGull wrote:Given the new owners (or current owners talking about the new owners - I forget) said early on that they didn't care if we were releagted or not suggests they aren't going to care about promotion either. Maybe, if they think the club can afford to employ their mate Harrop then employ him it will. Makes no difference to them, so long as the club stays ticking over and enables them to do what they do best and make money from the stadium that is all that matters.
You're possibly right and that's the worry.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

Just seen this on the Herald, it sounds encouraging thus far.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

PhilGull wrote:Given the new owners (or current owners talking about the new owners - I forget) said early on that they didn't care if we were releagted or not suggests they aren't going to care about promotion either. Maybe, if they think the club can afford to employ their mate Harrop then employ him it will. Makes no difference to them, so long as the club stays ticking over and enables them to do what they do best and make money from the stadium that is all that matters.
I'm not sure that's quite what they said though. I believe they said that the takeover would go ahead whatever division we were in (we were odds on to go down at the time), not that they didn't care if we were relegated.
musicman
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Nico

Post by musicman »

musicman
Let's just hope it is just rumour , Never in the face of human conflict has a manager struggled for so long on so little and yet achieved so much.....he was gifted with a pool of third rate players brought in by previous managers and proceeded to work his magic with the best of a bad bunch and brought in some guys of his choosing . One way or another he began to built a side that fought hard and that gradually began to believe in its self.....and the fans loved it.....the support began to improve and attendances started to go up. Nobody can deny that Nico replaced the negativity that seemed to haunt the team of old with the same pride that he projects having been given the task to reignite the spirit and pride in the team .
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I bought my season ticket last Saturday.

I will be bitterly disappointed if Kevin Nicholson is not appointed as Manager for 2016/17 on at least a one year contract.

We do not need a Director of Football at our level.

As far as I know Geoff Harrop has not resigned from Yeovil Town were he is the Academy Manager.

If the new proposed owners do not intend to increase the playing budget for next season then I have to question very seriously their motives in buying

Torquay United. Southampton Gull is normally very well informed and his initial post is deeply worrying. I guess we wont have long to wait for a Statement from the Club. Lets hope that common sense will prevail.I say "hope" because we all know that in Football common sense is often bottom of the list.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

geoff harrop will not be the next manager!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ROADRUNNER wrote:geoff harrop will not be the next manager!
...... but will he become a not wanted and not needed 'Director of Football' ??
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I keep reading we don't need a director of football but I think it helps to have some football knowledge in the boardroom somewhere and I have no doubt that the new owners will appoint someone to this sort of role. If they are just a link between the "suits" in the boardroom and the playing (and coaching) staff and don't have any influence on first team affairs then I don't see a problem.

Is Steve Perryman still at Exeter?
jackgladman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by jackgladman »

Jerry wrote: Is Steve Perryman still at Exeter?
From what I have gathered he still is apart of the club. A member of the club for 13 years. I don't think Torquay ave kept any staff or associates for less than a year recently.
Last edited by jackgladman on 27 Apr 2016, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Flipper »

Jerry wrote:I keep reading we don't need a director of football but I think it helps to have some football knowledge in the boardroom somewhere and I have no doubt that the new owners will appoint someone to this sort of role. If they are just a link between the "suits" in the boardroom and the playing (and coaching) staff and don't have any influence on first team affairs then I don't see a problem.

Is Steve Perryman still at Exeter?
A Director of Football would normally preside over a squad of 30 plus senior players and all of the youth and academy players. What we will have is a squad of 15 or so and a youth team, possibly. What would he do ? Why would you need a link ? The coaching staff coach and the board look after the money. There is only a handful of people involved and they probably have each others number so a director of football is just a wage that's wasted.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: On another thread, you couldn't bring yourself to grit your teeth and admit that Nicho had done a nigh on impossible job of keeping TUFC in the National League, could you ? And you call yourself a supporter !

If what SG is telling us proves to be right, I will walk away from Plainmoor after 50 + years during which time the only time I stopped supporting the team was when Dave Webb was in charge. I will not blindly support a management team that is predicted to make obviously wrong and biased decisions. I have always been wary about Bristol-based Gaming International's 'interest' in the club and it seems that my concerns are emerging. And we don't want a bliddy Director of Football. We've already had one of those and look at the trouble he caused.
Osborne was a director of Rovers when they lost Eastville (Bristol Stadium Ltd) Rovers had to move to Bath City ground and their reserves were playing at Keynsham.
I don't know if he had any influence in the sale of Eastville but he could have.

I agree about a DOF we don't need one but we do need a financial link to the manager at this level. Nicholson took half a season clearing up Edwards mess.