Is Kevin Nicholson right using social media (edited title)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I would just like to point out to any one who didn't read the original post and have seen this thread late.

I am not the author of this thread, and in no way do I blame Kevin Nicholson for our current situation.
Formerly known as forevertufc
WitneyGull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by WitneyGull »

I blame Mike Sadler
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

forevertufc wrote:I would just like to point out to any one who didn't read the original post and have seen this thread late.

I am not the author of this thread, and in no way do I blame Kevin Nicholson for our current situation.
I blame forevertufc, for obviously starting off a thread with an angry response to thin air!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

And I stand by what I said, Nicholson's intentions may well have been to defend his employers, it didn't come across that way to me, fully admit I may have that wrong however, it's some of the wording in the statement that angered me.

When I read KN say and I quote "Many on way less than minimal wage" bit like when CH told the world our players were on an average of £300, extremely and highly misleading, a cute use of wording there clearly designed to make people think Cox signed up a load of lads on less than the minimum wage, and judging by the reaction around the net, it worked as well.

In fact my problem with the his post are all in this section;

2- 'lack of experience'

The club has a lot of problems due to a very experienced manager blowing his entire budget in 1 hit, holding back nothing in case of emergency. He spent that on the players who are now taking all the criticism, and in some cases absolutely rightly so, from the fans.

What you don't know is he sold the dream of being a footballer to a group of young lads and then gave out contracts that they cannot survive on.

Many on way less than minimal wage.

Then I walk in and ask them to live like athletes. Eat right, sleep right and think about nothing but football.

However a lot of them can't afford to put petrol in there cars or pay there rent never mind live like athletes and so I've spent way too much time behind the scenes trying to help them out so they can concentrate on football.

Clearly trying to blame Cox, the player budget handed to Cox was small what was he (Cox) supposed to do. You can't in one hand blame Cox for blowing the budget, and then tell the players are less than a minimal wage on the other, that doesn't make sense and is to me, contradictory.

Players can't afford to petrol in their cars, pull the other one, never seen the players catching a bus.
Last edited by Dave on 22 Dec 2015, 18:48, edited 2 times in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

forevertufc wrote:And I stand by what I said, Nicholson's intentions may well have been to defend his employers, it didn't come across that way to me, fully admit I may have that wrong however, it's some of the wording in the statement that angered me.

When I read KN say and I quote "Many on way less than minimal wage" bit like when CH told the world our players were on an average of £300, extremely and highly misleading, a cute use of wording there clearly designed to make people think Cox signed up a load of lads on less than the minimum wage, and judging by the reaction around the net, it worked as well.

In fact my problem with the his post are all in this section;

2- 'lack of experience'

The club has a lot of problems due to a very experienced manager blowing his entire budget in 1 hit, holding back nothing in case of emergency. He spent that on the players who are now taking all the criticism, and in some cases absolutely rightly so, from the fans.

What you don't know is he sold the dream of being a footballer to a group of young lads and then gave out contracts that they cannot survive on.

Many on way less than minimal wage.

Then I walk in and ask them to live like athletes. Eat right, sleep right and think about nothing but football.

However a lot of them can't afford to put petrol in there cars or pay there rent never mind live like athletes and so I've spent way too much time behind the scenes trying to help them out so they can concentrate on football.

Clearly trying to blame Cox, the player budget handed to Cox was small what was he (Cox) supposed to do. You can't in one had blame Cox for blowing the budget in one hand, and then tell the players are less than a minimal wage on the other, that doesn't make sense and is to me, contradictory.

Players can't afford to petrol in their cars, pull the other one, never seen the players catching a bus.
I also see Cox is not having any of it and has given a more detailed response to the HE:
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

On reflection I expect Kev regrets this part of his statement
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes, it does show how in a sense, if this is the right word, how dangerous it can be for people in the public eye taking to social media. My suggestion to Kevin would be, stick to post match's comments on the football, leave the politics to others.

As I've ended up as the topic author I've edited the title to suit. :)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I don't know what the fuss is about Kevin knew what he was taking on he was told the budget at his interview or after it after he accepted the job. He thought that he could improve the situation and yes found a few players on below minimum wage. His job is to get the team back to playing higher up the table. The social part helping the players should have been put on the Directors to sort out if needed, as the job in keeping the club in this division is his top priority.
It's been obvious that Kevin needed an experienced person in the dugout as it's impossible to make judgement's on the game whilst playing that person should make the changes needed. I hope the club Chairman can see this, as Kevin needs to open his eyes and see that he's made big mistakes like Dean Edward did whilst he thought he could manage. I know names have been banded about but I hope the board make good decisions tonight.

Added in 4 minutes 35 seconds:
I don't know what the fuss is about Kevin knew what he was taking on he was told the budget at his interview or after it after he accepted the job. He thought that he could improve the situation and yes found a few players on below minimum wage. His job is to get the team back to playing higher up the table. The social part helping the players should have been put on the Directors to sort out if needed, as the job in keeping the club in this division is his top priority.
It's been obvious that Kevin needed an experienced person in the dugout as it's impossible to make judgement's on the game whilst playing that person should make the changes needed. I hope the club Chairman can see this, as Kevin needs to open his eyes and see that he's made big mistakes like Dean Edward did whilst he thought he could manage. I know names have been banded about but I hope the board make good decisions tonight.

Would Kevin be making statements like this if he was winning games. He knew what players were here and watched them several times!
Last edited by arcadia on 22 Dec 2015, 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Added in 4 minutes 35 seconds:

Would Kevin be making statements like this if he was winning games. He knew what players were here watched them![/quote]

:goodpost: :goodpost:

I have been making the same point about knowing budgets etc. BEFORE any recent manager has taken the job, and how I find it difficult to accept the "he has been left a mess/no money" excuses expounded by so many posters.

Good reasoned response from Cox, which makes some very understandable and rational points that make sense in the circumstances.

Anyway, we have what we have, the key is for the management team (board and playing) is to ensure they make the very best of what we have.
sevilla66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by sevilla66 »

I fully support Paul Cox's robust rejection of Nicholson's ludicrous statement on Facebook.

Nicholson has absolutely no credibility left after his puerile outburst which essentially is a schedule of excuses designed to deflect the totally justified criticism of his abject performance as manager.

Nicholson is fast becoming a laughing stock - The Board should announce his dismissal tonight
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I do find it somewhat disappointing that Kevin is throwing out a few excuses now, especially given his claim that he would make none when he took the job on.

It was a silly claim to make, in my opinion, as when the shit hits the fan it is natural of almost any human being to defend themselves and those they are accountable for.
I don't blame him for making "excuses", but I do think he has made himself look silly for doing so after stating he wouldn't.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

sevilla66 wrote:I fully support Paul Cox's robust rejection of Nicholson's ludicrous statement on Facebook.

Nicholson has absolutely no credibility left after his puerile outburst which essentially is a schedule of excuses designed to deflect the totally justified criticism of his abject performance as manager.

Nicholson is fast becoming a laughing stock - The Board should announce his dismissal tonight

I fully support what Nicholson said reference Cox. Cox and Edwards dished out the contracts and signed such a lot of dross and made sure they left no room for manoeuvre. If you knew what some of those contracts contained and how they could yet prove very costly to the club you might slip down off the moral high ground. Absolutely ludicrous the way those two went about things.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

No issue with Nicholson posting stuff on FB though especially his thoughts on the games though I'm not sure how much of it he sees from left back. That statement was a daft thing to do commenting on those sort of issues in the heat of the moment is never a good idea.

However I wish he would stop playing he simply isn't good enough he needs to swallow his pride and drop himself and realise Butler is a better player at left back.