Kids in Free next game

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Kids in Free next game

Post by moneylife »

I see on the OS kids are getting in free with a paying adult. This is an ok move, but if I'm honest many of the kids will not continue to visit once they price goes back up and also even less will continue into adulthood.

I have mentioned this topic and upset several people in the process before (::cough:: The one who loves Ferraris)

I think dropping ticket prices to £5 or similar for a long session of say 3-5 home games, would generate a much bigger crowd and also a crowd full of passionate adult fans (most kids can get £5 to come if they really want to aswell)

We could have a cauldron of noise from the pop-stand, but instead I fear you will all be hearing the harrowing high pitched noise from the family stand with all the kids chanting 'Torquay, Torquay' - which is great fun for the kids and families but doesn't quite give the same vibes off to the players, opponents and rest of our support.

Please dont misunderstand me, I love to see youngsters involved in the support. And am happy for them to get in for free every week tbh. But I don't think it fixes the right problem. You need to make going to the games accessible for everyone, not just little kids. And to be 100% frank with you (by you, I mean the owners of Torquay United, theres not a cats chance in hell I'd pay in the region of £20 to watch this bunch. I could go watch Arsenal or Man U in the Champions League for somewhere similar to £30 so get real!!!

I can tell you all 100% as I know several hundred people locally who agree with me for many years... We all just 'know' that TUFC is way overpriced and no value, and therefore there is a stigma that has been around for probably over 10 years now, a stigma which implies you are a moron if you go to Plainmoor and waste all that time and money. Back in the Kevin Hodges days we used to all get in for free and crowds got close to 4,000 every match. I personally had an airhorn which used to get everyone going used only at start of game and when we score goals and everyone used to love going to the matches, we used to regularly push for promotions to league one/div3.

Since ticket pricing as been over £10-15, what progress has the club shown??? None, its gone backwards steadily every year in both crowd numbers, budget, general support and most importantly league status (or lack of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) SORT IT FOOKIN OUT, RANT OVER NOW !! PEACE ;-) :engflag:
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Kids under 10 should be free at ALL football grounds up and down the land when accompanied by a full paying adult for non ticket games when most grounds are half empty anyway. Best a child goes every week, gets immersed in the habit of going, buys some food or drink etc at the game and becomes and feels part of what it is to be a regular football supporter. The ground is better full of kids than empty seats. Clubs won't listen as it's always short term gain so effectively they are signing their own death warrants for the future because small clubs who generally exist year on year churning out rubbish football (which is most) cannot simply compete with TV and the cost of living. They will find out soon enough what their ignorance and stubbornness will mean.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Yorkieandy wrote: Kids under 10 should be free at ALL football grounds up and down the land when accompanied by a full paying adult for non ticket games when most grounds are half empty anyway. Best a child goes every week, gets immersed in the habit of going .......
Don't you mean 'addicted in the habit of going', Andy - like the rest of us poor sods ?? ;-)
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Hodges was in charge for 2 seasons and the average home attendances for those were 2,380 and 2,485.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

And, that was 1998, nearly 20 years ago, and we nearly got automatic promotion, and had Rodney Jack and Jason Roberts, so the attendance's were obviously higher than now. The reason you can go to Champions League football for £30 (if you can??) is because the clubs get millions for just being there. The gate receipts are a drop in the ocean. If we charged £5 for 5 games, I doubt we'd get any more through the gates, and if we did, they'd stop coming as soon as the prices went back up.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

It's a nice idea but who thought it would be a good idea to do it on the same day as the Christmas Carnival when a large majority of kids will be at that?

Also why make people buy tickets in advance, make it easy as possible for people to come...just let them in free on the day, there's plenty of room at plainmoor recently!

Keep trying though!!!
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by moneylife »

My memory may be slightly hazy but I seem to remember if it was under 3000 it was because the away fans had like 20 people over there. maybe im wrong. nevertheless I agree with devonyellow and they should be making it as easy as possible for all to get in. They've got more than 2/3 of the stadium empty every match! It's not rocket science to figure out why this is.
How about a compromise, £7.50 for all, under 16s free. Just sell way more merchandise and foodstuffs at slightly higher prices. I think £15-20 or whatever they charging at this present time is beyond laughable considering the results not to mention the overall ambitions of the club over the last year or so.

At this moment in time, when money in my world is very tight as usual, I'd think it a better investment to take my £20 to Ladbrokes and bet on Barrow, or Guisley or some other team I never heard of to beat Torquay every week!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Don't know why people keep suggesting that the club will make money on foodstuffs & merchandise.Every time I see that on a thread, I keep posting that at this moment in time, the club does not benefit from food sales or from the club shop. All those outlets were leased off by former administrations & it will take time for those to be brought back 'in-house'. The only profit-making outlet for the club at the moment is the Gulls Nest, which is why you'll see that being promoted on the official club website, & no mention on there of Boots & Laces or the food outlets round the ground.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Win games then the crowds will grow.

Simple.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

Having to buy tickets in advance to take advantage of kids get in free deal defeats the whole idea of getting new fans through the turnstiles. I got caught out like this last year when there was a promotion for the family stand. Surely, they could do the offer on the day because I bet there will be those who have no idea you have to buy tickets in advance before match day.