The first team squad

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Pleased with Cox's positive spin on the reduced playing budget situation.

Hargreaves was more of a 'moaner' when it came to discussing the club's finances. It's good to have a manager who sees it as an opportunity and he seems to be thriving on the challenge that this reduced playing budget gives him.

In Cox we trust!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:McQuilken I do not see as a Cox type player full stop, Dawson personally think we could find better for the same money, possibly, but he may fit the budget. Campbell think many of our fans have been more than a tad unfair with the lad, yes, he fluffed his lines in front of goal once to often for anyone's liking, but I'm certain that was down to a confidence issue, he been frozen out at Oxford for some time before he came to us, I saw enough in his work rate, movement and link up play to think he was, at least worth another look at.

Yeoman if he was horse someone would have done the decent thing by now, something like 26 appearances in 7 years doesn't qualify him as a professional footballer time to use him or cut him loose, Harding I've said all along has been unlucky, injury's have wrecked any hope he had here, I've maintained he wasn't fit, and towards the end of last season when, for the first time he started to actually look fit, he was playing very well to be fair, he is a Cox type player, a lot there, could depend on whether Dean Edwards recommends Harding to Cox.
From reports of Paul Cox's type of player, I think you're right about McQuilken which is a pity because I was impressed by his work rate. I think you're wrong about Aaron Dawson. He's a young lad with little first-team experience but he struck me as having the right attitude. With more experience, he could well develop into a decent player. Fully agree with what you say about John Campbell. He missed a few easy chances (as did Wayne Rooney against Slovenia !!) but he gets himself into good positions. He also seemed to have a good attitiude. I'd overlooked Kadell Daniel (who has been released by Charlton apparently) as mentioned by Royalgull. Yes - I'd like to see him back at Plainmoor.

Stongly disagree about Harding. Injury prone, slow, shirks 50 - 50 tackles, had a couple of decent games towards the end of last season - that's about all you can say in his favour. Good riddance - I hope I never see him in a United shirt again. If Paul Cox wants players who will go through brick walls for him, Harding is certainly not his type of player !!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

PhilGull wrote:Ouch! Cox's life is made doubly difficult with a lot of the cheapie freebies already being snapped up. Still, when you consider a lot of last years budget was on players like Tongue sitting on the bench the wages of the players regularly involved each week probably wasn't much more than it will be this year.
I think this is what we have to hope. If we have to make savings of half a million per year then that means a lot of cutbacks, but not total devastation. The academy closure was a tough decision but should save about half that amount. The other quarter million can come from a few areas, although the playing budget is the easiest. Given that last season we wasted a huge chunk of the wage bill on Knill's signings who barely even played for us then the effect should be slightly less than having to cut back nearly half of the players who actually featured for us. The wages of Tonge, Benyon, Harding and Pearce alone would take up a lot of the money we need to cut back.

We overspent while Thea was picking up the tab for the losses, but 2000 fans should be able to give us a budget to compete with in this division, which is hardy full of big fish.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Gulliball wrote: I think this is what we have to hope. If we have to make savings of half a million per year then that means a lot of cutbacks, but not total devastation. The academy closure was a tough decision but should save about half that amount. The other quarter million can come from a few areas, although the playing budget is the easiest. Given that last season we wasted a huge chunk of the wage bill on Knill's signings who barely even played for us then the effect should be slightly less than having to cut back nearly half of the players who actually featured for us. The wages of Tonge, Benyon, Harding and Pearce alone would take up a lot of the money we need to cut back.

We overspent while Thea was picking up the tab for the losses, but 2000 fans should be able to give us a budget to compete with in this division, which is hardy full of big fish.
Yes but now we have to weigh that up against the wages of Hargreaves, Hodges and Veysey which cannot be written off until there gardening leave period either finishes by finding new employment or their contract length ends. Effectively we will be paying (and have to budget for worst case) for two sets of mangers and coaches this year (although Cox and his eventual team will likely be on a much lower wage). This might well equate to the same amount saved by losing the high earners from last year and replacing them with cheaper alternatives.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Whatever way you cut it Paul Cox has a very difficult job ahead of him.After identifying the player he wants he then has to sell Torquay to him and his family , he won't sign many players who don't have to move and uproot,this has always been the problem,even Mr Cox is leaving his family back home,where ever that is so not a great advert to prospective aquasitions.I enjoyed his press conference and he says all the right things.I hope he succeds and gets us back into the league even if its a slow burner.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

My guess it that, if he is sucessfull with his 1st choice picks, he will bring them down on a 2 year deal, followed by 1 year deals, with potenitally 3/4 loan signings. A player coach option, with Luke Young stepping down as captain would be ideal, for me, I dont think the captaincy suited Luke last year.

Player wise, he is in the same position as Buckle was, although potenially with only a 1/3 of his budget. I do think Cox's mangerment experience and footballing nouse will overcome some the budget shortfall.

I wonder how many season tickets have been sold within the last couple of days?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

One of my worries (and this isn't a gripe in any way - I'm more than happy to give the guy a chance!!) is that his style of play may not suit people like Luke Young - and he is a fairly good asset to have at this level. I know he tailed off towards the end of the season, but when he played well, we also tended to play well too.

I just hope he manages to get the best out of Luke and that we don't end up wasting his talent.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Luke Young playing off the centre forward with two fast wide men in Cox's favoured 4411?
TUST number 080
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

From someone who wanted Hargreaves here next season you have basically lost all credence so I would be careful what you wish for.
Its more a question of whether Young wastes his talent. Put on weight in the second half of the season and was basically bloody awful (although I accept he played well at the start of the season).
Has as much chance of being captan next year as I have. I have Young and Bowman down as two players who might not be here too long actually.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I suspect you may be right about Bowman, can't see Cox putting up with attitude. Although, you never know he might perform better with clearer expectations. I think Cox will recognise Young's talent and organise the team around him.
TUST number 080
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

What you have to take into account with all of our players pretty much Luke young included is that he's a young player (no pun intended), he was always a bit part player at Plymouth who haven't pulled up trees in League 2 over the last few years. As such he's going to blow hot and cold in his first ever 46 game season, Ajala similarly same goes for MacDonald and even Bowman.

What I want to see this seaosn is a professionalism and will to learn and improve from these youngsters. I don't blame them for making mistakes or having bad games it happens with young conference standard players, but what I don't want to see is us getting humiliated at home by Braintree on a tuesday, 5 or 6 of our lads out having a skinful on the Thursday at the darts then lose at home to Telford on the Saturday. I want them to have some pride in what they do and some sort of responsibility or drive to be better. I feel with Paul Cox we'll get this instilled in our players this year and he'll at least try and get a few senior pro's/leaders to implement this in the dressing room.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

If we do manage to sign Jason Price then that will be a fantastic start to the pre-season. If we can add an experienced centre-half to wear the captains arm-band, an experienced defensive midfielder to perhaps be player coach and a goal scorer up front then just pad that out with more young wanderers like Ajala looking for somewhere to call home I think, with the leadership of Paul Cox we could have a half decent season...

*My rose tinted spectacles are starting to get their shine back!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

I recall the name Jason price but dunno where from.... and has it been mentioned somewhere(apart from he poster above) we are trying to sign him?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Lewis Price, I think. The goalkeeper, although pretty unrealistic. It's fans putting 2 and 2 together based on his age and position.

Jason Price is about 40 and a midfielder. Also pretty much a 0% chance.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Gulliball wrote:Lewis Price, I think. The goalkeeper, although pretty unrealistic. It's fans putting 2 and 2 together based on his age and position.

Jason Price is about 40 and a midfielder. Also pretty much a 0% chance.

Yeah, sorry, slip of the keyboard!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084