Where did it all go wrong.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

It all went wrong on the 29th January 2011. Putting Elliot Benyon up front on his own against four 6ft plus defenders in the 4th Round FA Cup tie against Crawley. We were never going to win. How much money did we lose as a result of not playing Manchester United? At least a million? Sickening.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Sorry, we lost against Crawley because Elliott Benyon was up-front on his own? That was probably one of many, many reasons. Benners has had a lot of criticism in recent times (some of it justified). But let's not blame him for losing us '£3m' (no idea where that figure has come come), and the current plight of the club.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Fonda wrote:Sorry, we lost against Crawley because Elliott Benyon was up-front on his own? That was probably one of many, many reasons. Benners has had a lot of criticism in recent times (some of it justified). But let's not blame him for losing us '£3m' (no idea where that figure has come come), and the current plight of the club.
I agree, we can't blame one game for our decline. Besides, there were many reasons why we lost that game. Our own team's cowardice in the face of a very hostile Crawley side, one cheating fat bastard who we all know and despise and a referee not fit to sweep the terraces.

For me, if there is any one event that comes to mind that it was Martin King's illness. Appallingly managed by the Board and the precursor to many other bad decisions. I won't say that Lingy's illness caused our fall, but the way it was managed was symptomatic of crass, piss poor management at Board level.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

No, wasn't blaming Elliot, he tried his hardest, it was the tactics. Agree with the comments about Crawley and their manager and I am not knocking the players who tried.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

samuel wrote:It all went wrong on the 29th January 2011. Putting Elliot Benyon up front on his own against four 6ft plus defenders in the 4th Round FA Cup tie against Crawley. We were never going to win. How much money did we lose as a result of not playing Manchester United? At least a million? Sickening.
If we had beaten Crawley we would never have been drawn against Man Utd. Those things never happen to Torquay.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

samuel wrote:No, wasn't blaming Elliot, he tried his hardest, it was the tactics. Agree with the comments about Crawley and their manager and I am not knocking the players who tried.
Fair enough mate. :-D
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

If i remember correctly Benyon had suffered a broken nose and was touch and go for that game. He played and was targeted within the first few minutes which was no surprise. You cannot blame Benyon, i dont think he should have started due to his injury but Buckle made the call and it didnt pay off
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

SBP wrote:If i remember correctly Benyon had suffered a broken nose and was touch and go for that game. He played and was targeted within the first few minutes which was no surprise. You cannot blame Benyon, i dont think he should have started due to his injury but Buckle made the call and it didnt pay off
I don 't think Samuel was blaming Benyon. He was blaming the decision to play one of the smallest guys we had up front on his own in a game that had we been more positive and gone for a win could have seen us in a much better financial position in the months/years following...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084