Who?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Let's keep one eye on the relagation spot, should we drop to 5 points from safety, sack CH and bring in a stop gap until the end of the season.

If we remain above the 5 point mark, keep CH until the next owner arrives and then sack him immediately.

Offer a proven manager a position, poaching if financially possible.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Paul Sturrock please. Someone who would kick a few asses !!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Gullscorer wrote:Paul Buckle.. :)
Correction. Paul Buckle :(
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

I was and remain a big fan of Lingy, but that won't be happening. Our chance of stability came and went on that one. He's got a decent job at Spurs and his own business and has moved on. Good luck to him. Happier times. It was this consortium's biggest mistake for me, not having him back. Without question it has been downhill ever since.

Hector's choice of Mark Yates appeals to me. Or in the short term until the end of the season, someone who can get a few draws. Where's Cornforth's dog these days. ;-)

I think we'll end this season with Hargreaves at the helm to avoid an expensive pay-off, but I'd snap the hands off a guaranteed 20th place right now. Welling's run in is thankfully a tricky looking one and I can't see any of the bottom three making up the ground on us. But as we all know, strange things happen at this time of the season.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I completely understand why some many of our fans would welcome back Martin Ling, but in all honesty ML, in the position the club finds itself in today would be totally the wrong appointment in my view. Hector and others have posted names, such as Paul Cox and Mark Yates , for me these would both be perfect choices for our club, both young, both had similar playing careers, both with management experience and experience managing in the conference, Paul Cox as I'm sure we all know has the conference title on his C.V.

And before anyone says it, would either of these potential candidates be interested in taking the TUFC management job, or course they would, when the job becomes vacant, TUFC will attract good candidates for the job.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Gary Johnson?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I think Gary Johnson would not be the right fit for our club at this time, just my personal opinion.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Gary Johnson wouldn't be interested. He was on the Football League Show a couple of weeks ago and said he wants to manage a club with a big budget in their division. I don't even think someone like Yates would be interested. Ling wouldn't be the right fit at this time and it's quite unprofessional to be retweeting those messages when Hargreaves is still in position. Sturrock has basically opened his arms to an approach and would be the best option. All about contacts and his book will be fully loaded.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

But then what was Chris Hargreaves saying whilst on spotlight while Alan Knill was in the position. Things like ' something has to change' football management is cut throat.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

tommyg wrote:Gary Johnson wouldn't be interested. He was on the Football League Show a couple of weeks ago and said he wants to manage a club with a big budget in their division. I don't even think someone like Yates would be interested. Ling wouldn't be the right fit at this time and it's quite unprofessional to be retweeting those messages when Hargreaves is still in position. Sturrock has basically opened his arms to an approach and would be the best option. All about contacts and his book will be fully loaded.
That's precisely how CH got the job. In fact it was worse than replying to a tweet - he did it on the TV!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

tommyg wrote:Gary Johnson wouldn't be interested. He was on the Football League Show a couple of weeks ago and said he wants to manage a club with a big budget in their division. I don't even think someone like Yates would be interested. Ling wouldn't be the right fit at this time and it's quite unprofessional to be retweeting those messages when Hargreaves is still in position. Sturrock has basically opened his arms to an approach and would be the best option. All about contacts and his book will be fully loaded.
After the way Ling was treated by this club, he owes us no favours whatsoever, and can tweet (or in this case retweet) whatever he wants.

The fact that he put his hat in the ring when CH got the job shows that he would jump at the chance to come back - after all that has gone on, it speaks volumes of the type of guy he is.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

It was wrong when Hargreaves was making noises about Knill's job, and it's wrong that Ling is doing it about Hargreaves.

As for who we should get, we need to forget about 'previous connections' and just give it to the best man for the job. Actually invite applications, and after interview decide who offers the best chance of success - not who has the most recognisable name, or who would be most popular. The next appointment could prove to be one of the most important this club has ever made. Because we're currently standing on the edge of a precipice. Make the wrong decision now, and we might be part-time and further down the pyramid by the time this manager is being relieved.

I think we have to look for a man with experience or knowledge of the level we're at (that is what served Bucks well - as well as shed loads of cash obviously). Maybe move away from the lower-league 'journey-men' managers we normally get linked with. Maybe think outside the box a bit. Perhaps there are some excellent young managers in the league or two below ours that none of us have heard of. It might be a name that initially fails to get pulses racing, but it might just work.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

If we did decide to get rid of Hargreaves, I would love for Ling to come back and get until at least the end of the season and make a decision then.

Rewatching his interview he made when he was first appointed, there was something relaxing about the way he spoke and how he had great ambitions for the club. I must say I wasn't happy when I heard he was our manager but he soon won me over.

If there's anything we need right now it's team unity and Ling certainly installed that in the players in his first season.

I want Hargreaves to do well, but the football this season has been atrocious. We should be doing better than we are doing. I hope he can change fortunes around but I just can't see where our next win will come from.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Scott Brehaut wrote: After the way Ling was treated by this club, he owes us no favours whatsoever, and can tweet (or in this case retweet) whatever he wants.

The fact that he put his hat in the ring when CH got the job shows that he would jump at the chance to come back - after all that has gone on, it speaks volumes of the type of guy he is.
I'm certainly not defending how Hargreaves acted when Knill was in charge. As Fonda has highlighted, Hargreaves shouldn't have said what he did on TV. But irrespective of the way some feel Ling was treated by the club, it's still unprofessional to be retweeting those messages whilst Hargreaves is still manager.