Torquay United set for a take over ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I doubt he would want to manage us IF he was involved in a takeover - I imagine pro-direct are looking for an avenue to promote their development players. That could be a very good arrangement for us as we get decent youth we wouldn't otherwise see, or it could be terrible because we get a team full of useless 17 year olds.

Of course, he could have just been at the game by coincidence.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Having seen how brilliant Elliott is he may have been sent to scout out some more loan targets! ;-)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

Club appoints former Oxford United chairman Kelvin Thomas to oversee changes

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

Also on the OS:
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 18090.aspx
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well those articles will save us from further speculation (speculating is part of the fun though) so there was a meeting and now we know what it was about. I can only applaud Thea and the board, the club couldn't continue on as it was, and there seems to people involved now with a real track record in football, and we can only hope some positive changes in aspects of the club will happen as soon as humanly possible.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Very interesting development-see it as a positive.Great for Thea to have such support at this time.Lets hope that the changes proposed take us forward in the right direction.The fact that she feels" lonely" in her role doesn't reflect well on the other Directors though;particularly the Vice-Chairs.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Interesting distinctions in the official statement (which the HE) regurgitates, and the WMN article. Reading the official line it seems more that Thomas has been brought in an advisory capacity to the board, but the WMN seems to suggest it's more about looking at the club on behalf of potential buyers.

I imagine it could possibly be a it of both?
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Well done Thea and her advisors,Its allways best to own up if you don't know how to do something but dispite it being a bit late its never too late to get good advice on how to run a football club, good move providing you like what you hear?.
IlshamSchmilsham
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Welsh

Post by IlshamSchmilsham »

Kelvin Thomas's proposed role has all the hallmarks of that undertaken by Peter Ridsdale at Argyle during their post-administration period, i.e. morphing from consultant to executive (almost seamlessly), and in the process doing quite well for himself financially (allegedly) whilst alienating most of the fan-base. That is not to say that Mr Thomas's motives are anything less than honourable, or that his advice will not be useful. But we must hope that the Board (or at least a majority of the voting members) are alert to the risks of importing "expertise" of this kind where the principal objective appears to be the development of an exit strategy for those on whom the club is currently financially dependent.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Certainly an interesting development not that I know anything about Mr Thomas but look forward to learning about his involvement in the coming weeks. I'm sure there are many out there who may have more answers as to his credentials.
What does concern me is how the manager and the team react to this news. Will CH see this as a positive move or as a threat? As I've posted yesterday we need to go into Saturday's Trophy game with confidence. With promotion never likely and whilst a play-off place remains a possibility, a cup run keeps the season alive, not to mention further financial gain.

It has been obvious that Mrs Bristow has been a fish out of water as Chairman so all credit to her for trying to sort the club's future with her honest self-assessment.
As with others who care about this football club I look forward to what I hope will be news about the viability of Torquay's longer term future.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Some very interesting points made on the all posts above, the point for me, always will be, the club had to do something to bring about change, we can now only hope all what is happening will bring about positive change, and move our club forward again.
Formerly known as forevertufc
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Should hae happened 2 years ago, better late than never!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Good move my Thea, she needs help and what better to get a chairman that has experienced football league relegation and re-gained league football. Interesting that he helped them re gain promotion so CH will know him. Would be good to get views from Oxford fans.
Lucy
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Interesting development today. Based on the work he did at Oxford United, you would have to think that the appointment of Kelvin Thomas is a positive development even if it is only on a short term basis(three weeks "initially"). My first reaction is whether or not he is here at the invitation of Thea just to help her out - as the OS seems to suggest - perhaps even advising her on any potential sale of the club so as to make sure she gets the best deal OR is it more a case of the potential "new owners" putting Thomas in situ in order to carry out a top to bottom examination of the football club before either investing in, or more likely perhaps buying it, which seems to be more the line being taken in the local press. Personally, of the two options, I think the latter one is the more likely scenario.

As for the involvement of Tristan Lewis, according to his version of events, he was merely helping Thomas out by attending the game on Saturday and is only involved in a review of the Academy/Education side of things. Given that he is still employed by Hayes and Yeading he would have to be very careful with his words as they pay his wages - but there is quite a strong rebuttal by him in the west London press ...

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/fo ... ot-8489857

I guess he would say that, wouldn't he. I don't for one minute doubt him when he says he isn't the man who is buying TUFC, but is he in some way connected to someone who is I wonder? Not only that but there seems a very real possibility that the very existence of Hayes & Yeading FC is currently under very real threat and if the worst should happen then he could be out of a job (at least the one he has with them) very soon. As for the Pro Direct connection, my guess is that that is purely a coincidence.

It could be a very interesting few weeks ahead of us for TUFC, I reckon.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Lucy
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

I believe the Pro Direct link in all these talks is just a coincidence.
I do know the owners of Pro Direct, the Lake family have never shown any interest in T.U.F.C.