Rice to be dropped

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Should Rice be dropped for the Aldershot match

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 55

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I'm in no way trying to defend Martin Rice's performances of late, I just find this ever growing witch hunt against him embarrassing, seriously no need for it. Yes the club can go out and get a goalkeeper in on a loan where there would be no loan fee, or wages to pay, but this is where common sense has to set in.

So we go to Spurs, can you send a keeper on loan but we have no money, the answer, yes we've got an 18 year old here, played a few U18 games, for no charge you can have him for a month, because on a free loan as I'm desperately trying to get a point across we're going to get much more than that.

So, say this was to happen, great, what on gords name will that solve, absolutely nothing, because at the months end Spurs say start paying or send us our lad back, ultimately we still have to return to Martin Rice, but now his confidence has been completely wiped out , so what next try Bournemouth for another free loan keeper, and after that month where do we go then, Bolton ? They'll probably send Connor Wilkinson with his pocket money to sports direct to buy a pair of keeper gloves on his way down.

How will getting behind Ricey help, well, with the support of the fan base it might help him get his confidence back quicker, and after all, as pointed out by Andy, Ricey has 8 clean sheets to his name so far this season. Next week CH is in what could be a no win situation, play Ricey and lose one half the fan base will go into complete melt down, play Seabright and he has a mare and we lose, the other half the fan base on his case.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

As it stands, Ricey WILL chuck a couple in his own net. Seabright MIGHT. It's what white girls would call a "no brainer".

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Keeep calm and carry on!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I havn't got on Rice's back at any stage during a match. If we persist with Rice we are going to end up in the bottom half of the table.
Preferably we have to loan an experienced goalkeeper for a month - if it isn't possible then Seabright has to play the next match.
Quoting a load of statistics about clean sheets doesn't alter the fact that Rice has caused us a shed load of points in the last six games. Our downturn in form is directly attributable to him because we would be AT LEAST six points better off if we had a goalkeeper. Its quite possible that we would be nine points better off.
Where is the evidence that Rice will stop making mistakes which cost us goals? - there isn't any because he is repeating the same mistakes week after week.
We simply have to do something to address that situation and that something is to replace him.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Start at Aldershot with Ricey in goal, Seabright on the bench. We all shout Martin Rice Rice Rice, Riceyeeeee or whatever, for the first half. Matt keeps quiet (sorry, Matt !) At half-time, see where we are. See what he's like with a bit of encouragement (instead of stick).If it's not working, put on Seabright. There, all fan base happy (except Brucie....so what's new ? ;-) :} ).
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

brucie wrote:I havn't got on Rice's back at any stage during a match. If we persist with Rice we are going to end up in the bottom half of the table.
Preferably we have to loan an experienced goalkeeper for a month - if it isn't possible then Seabright has to play the next match.
Quoting a load of statistics about clean sheets doesn't alter the fact that Rice has caused us a shed load of points in the last six games. Our downturn in form is directly attributable to him because we would be AT LEAST six points better off if we had a goalkeeper. Its quite possible that we would be nine points better off.
Where is the evidence that Rice will stop making mistakes which cost us goals? - there isn't any because he is repeating the same mistakes week after week.
We simply have to do something to address that situation and that something is to replace him.
Actually Brucie. This is exactly the sort of statement I am talking about. stop shooting your mouth off and getting your facts wrong. Unless you really mean by causing us points your talking about us gaining points in which case i would agree with you. Yes he did help us get three point.
But if your English is as bad as your ill informed rant. Then please tell me how he cost us points in a 2-0 win. He kept a clean sheet. so one of your 6 games he actually helped us with a 2-0 win.
What I would venture to suggest is that the rot started the day Mr Downes got himself sent off with a horrible tackle which was never justified. being absent after that with a defence that was largely makeshift and looked unprepared made a bigger difference. We cannot afford a bigger name keeper any more than we can afford a bigger name CB RB or WB.simples. we have spent out and have what we have. I know you get depressed and rant out but make sure they do have correct facts.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Glostergull wrote: Actually Brucie. This is exactly the sort of statement I am talking about. stop shooting your mouth off and getting your facts wrong. Unless you really mean by causing us points your talking about us gaining points in which case i would agree with you. Yes he did help us get three point.
But if your English is as bad as your ill informed rant. Then please tell me how he cost us points in a 2-0 win. He kept a clean sheet. so one of your 6 games he actually helped us with a 2-0 win.
What I would venture to suggest is that the rot started the day Mr Downes got himself sent off with a horrible tackle which was never justified. being absent after that with a defence that was largely makeshift and looked unprepared made a bigger difference. We cannot afford a bigger name keeper any more than we can afford a bigger name CB RB or WB.simples. we have spent out and have what we have. I know you get depressed and rant out but make sure they do have correct facts.
:goodpost:
TUST MEMBER
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Glostergull wrote: We cannot afford a bigger name keeper any more than we can afford a bigger name CB RB or WB.simples. we have spent out and have what we have.
You're probably right Gloster but as I've posted on the Grimsby thread, our home gates have risen from about 2000 to over 2300 in recent home games. That will be bringing in £6000 + to the coffers at each home game. If we begin to slide down the league, those extra 300 fair-weather supporters will disappear. I think most of us agree that this team is still 'work in progress'. If we don't achieve promotion this season, then a competent 'keeper must be top of the shopping list for next season because as Brucie rightly says, a reliable keeper is a must for any successful team. We won't have the 'high earners' on the payroll next season but we won't have the 'Parachute Payment' either so as always, it will be a financial juggling dilemma.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

taxilady wrote:Start at Aldershot with Ricey in goal, Seabright on the bench. We all shout Martin Rice Rice Rice, Riceyeeeee or whatever, for the first half. Matt keeps quiet (sorry, Matt !) At half-time, see where we are. See what he's like with a bit of encouragement (instead of stick).If it's not working, put on Seabright. There, all fan base happy (except Brucie....so what's new ? ;-) :} ).
If Seabright is good enough to be sub. he's good enough to play he may surprise us and I have my doubts but I say play him. :keepie:
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Wayne Thomas played a blinder in goal for Worcester on Saturday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29691123
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

gateman49 wrote:Wayne Thomas played a blinder in goal for Worcester on Saturday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29691123
I seem to remember him doing the very same for us too!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Glostergull wrote: Actually Brucie. This is exactly the sort of statement I am talking about. stop shooting your mouth off and getting your facts wrong. Unless you really mean by causing us points your talking about us gaining points in which case i would agree with you. Yes he did help us get three point.
Aaron Downes being missing didn't cause Rice to kick the ball into the back of a Wrexham player and then be stranded while the forward had an open goal. Downes being missing (because he was back) didn't cause Rice to rush out of goal on Saturday, change his mind and be caught somewhere in between while the Grimsby forward made it 2-1. Downes being out didn't cause Rice to either let a soft header squeeze under his body or stand behind the line when saving it.

I spoke to an ex-Exeter City professional today and when I mentioned Rice, he said that, Rice was like a vampire - scared of crosses and would be glued to the goal-line when defenders expected him to come for the ball.

Rice isn't as bad as he was when he was here under Buckle and he has improved, no doubt, from his Exeter City days, but he is probably more of a Conference South keeper in all honesty.

If he is picked for the next match, then it doesn't say much for Seabright, in these circumstances, but Hargreaves can't win really. If he sticks with Rice and we lose or Rice makes an error, Hargreaves will be castigated, yet if he drops Rice and Seabright makes a mistake, Hargreaves will be slated for pandering to supporters. The fans have just got to behind Rice if he is picked and likewise be supportive of Seabright, if he is chosen.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Did you really need to talk to an ex-Exeter City player to know that.
I would have signed a new keeper at the end of last season as I have judged Rice over three years. He excelled himself
last season but I knew it would come to an end. I am gutted though like all the supporters.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If Rice is picked again on Saturday then really we have lost all credibility.

Glostergull - what planet are you actually on (because it isn't Earth thats for sure).

It would be fairly obvious to anyone that wasn't completely retarded that it was a keyboard slip, I meant that Rice had COST us points. Blaming Downes is just complete lunacy. He got sent off in the ninety second minute at Telford. The FACT is that we went into that match on a great unbeaten run.

The run came to an end due to one person only - Captain Cock Up the Keeper. Watch the highlights again. You won't find three cheaper goals than the three that Rice let in. No wonder Downes kicked somebody at the end of the game - it was probably down to sheer frustration with Rice.

In fact Downes kicked the wrong the bloke. Pity he didn't kick Rice instead. Better still he should have broken both his legs. We would probably have a few more points by now.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

i think chris hargreaves will make his own mind up on who he plays in goal, he doesnt need to pander to the supporters, he will do what he thinks is right, i think he should give seabright a run out as i think ricey has dropped too many clangers of late, but i still dont agree with the way he has been treated by some of our fans, if the guy is having a bad day at the office then wee need to get behind him and support him not crucify him like some idiots did on saturday, if that had been my son playing and had heard what was coming out of some peoples mouths i would have gone mental, those people know who they are and should be ashamed,call themselves human beings! f--cking morons. :@