Torquayunited v FC Halifax 14/4/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I am no fan of Clarke Osbourne or his associates either. But I'm not sure how a thread on a football game which we actually won has walked into a discussion on this. We have had such little success this season can we not 'celebrate' a decent performance on this thread and comment on club on the murky side of the club on another one?
GullPete

Post by GullPete »

[quote[/quote]As long as it's possible to stay up then we should get behind the team and give everything we have left in order to escape relegation, maintain faith.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Dazza wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 21:08 I am no fan of Clarke Osbourne or his associates either. But I'm not sure how a thread on a football game which we actually won has walked into a discussion on this. We have had such little success this season can we not 'celebrate' a decent performance on this thread and comment on club on the murky side of the club on another one?
Understand what your saying but when off the field issues become nearly or more important it's unfortunate this happens
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Dazza wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 21:08I am no fan of Clarke Osbourne or his associates either. But I'm not sure how a thread on a football game which we actually won has walked into a discussion on this.
Because at half-time Glostergull brought the subject up with an incorrect statement about money being 'owed to Thea Bristow' and after the match I pointed out that it wasn't.

That's not spoiling anyone's enjoyment of the game is it?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Dazza wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 21:08 We have had such little success this season can we not 'celebrate' a decent performance on this thread and comment on club on the murky side of the club on another one?
I would be hard pressed to describe it as a 'decent performance', especially in the first half, against a side that has played four games in eight days which visibly showed in the second half. There were some good individual perfomances, but as a whole, I would describe it as a nervy performance.

Once again we were toothless in front of goal and we could have so easily let it slip right at the end with a 'tangle of legs' in the penalty area. I don't think it was a penalty, but there are some refs who would have given it. But it's 3 points and so we stagger on for another week .....
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

We are both entitled to our respective views Tomo. At least it's better than being shouted at by some heavy fingered goon who was 200 miles away.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Oh shut up you bore!
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

tomogull wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 22:36 I would be hard pressed to describe it as a 'decent performance', especially in the first half, against a side that has played four games in eight days which visibly showed in the second half. There were some good individual perfomances, but as a whole, I would describe it as a nervy performance.

Once again we were toothless in front of goal and we could have so easily let it slip right at the end with a 'tangle of legs' in the penalty area. I don't think it was a penalty, but there are some refs who would have given it. But it's 3 points and so we stagger on for another week .....
:goodpost: Even against a team as knackered a Halifax were, we only scored once and that could easily have been not given as it didn't hit the back of the net. I half expected us to let one in at the end so the final whistle was greeted with relief more than joy.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
GullPete

Post by GullPete »

Yes it wasn't the best or convincing of all performances but we got the three points and that's all that matters
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Pleased that Torquay clocked up their 5th home win of a long season, but I think our performance once again 'flattered to deceive'.

The average statistic of a pro-football player cover nine miles per game and reach speeds of up to 22mph, which in turn burns 1,000 calories per game, all of which requires energy. Hence recovery time being of equal importance to training time. Halifax's congested schedule of 4 games in 8 days left Halifax with no recovery time between matches so when they played their 4th game against us today you could tell they were a team of fatigued players just going through the motions. And yet with all our 'huffing and puffing' we still could not take total advantage of the situation. Instead of leaving Halifax dead and buried we scraped by with a 1-0 win. Of course, I am thankful for the win, but its not one I can truly celebrate - I expected more against 11 Halifax zombies.

The final note goes to Halifax who despite being asked to do the impossible of playing 4 games in a week still managed to pick up 7 points out a possible 12. Now if I was a Halifax supporter that would be worth celebrating.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Dazza wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 22:39 We are both entitled to our respective views Tomo. At least it's better than being shouted at by some heavy fingered goon who was 200 miles away.
Don't get me started, Dazza !!! ;-)
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

You can only beat what's in front of you. From the bet365 stats we had something like 25 shots at goal, 8 on target. The team did all they could today and that was win. So congratulations to them. What is crucial is that Barrow and Woking are both in freefall. But..guiesley v barrow on Tuesday is the most influential match that could give us more hope.
Lucy
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Does it matter that Halifax have played however many games in a week. I really do not care! We won 1-0 that is all that matters.
I am sure if one day in the future Torquay managed to beat Barcelona in the champions league we were spend the thread discussing that they are not as good as the team from the 70's. And why wasn't Clarke Osbourne there!!!
It has been a shocking season but we are still in with a chance of staying up.. Let at least have some hope for a few days.
If we can beat Hartlepool and Guisley do us a favour. We might be able to stay up.... Who would have thought we would still have a chance..
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 03:03 Does it matter that Halifax have played however many games in a week. I really do not care! .... And why wasn't Clarke Osbourne there!!!
If you care not about team displays, why then concern yourself with Clarke Osborne's absence. Today's win is not indicative of future results (even if we all live in hope). Our demise in performance 'on the field' is very much intertwined with our 'off the field' issues. You may not care about this scenario either, but I do.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 03:03 Does it matter that Halifax have played however many games in a week. I really do not care! We won 1-0 that is all that matters.
I am sure if one day in the future Torquay managed to beat Barcelona in the champions league we were spend the thread discussing that they are not as good as the team from the 70's. And why wasn't Clarke Osbourne there!!!
It has been a shocking season but we are still in with a chance of staying up.. Let at least have some hope for a few days.
If we can beat Hartlepool and Guisley do us a favour. We might be able to stay up.... Who would have thought we would still have a chance..
:goodpost: