Torquay v Guiseley 24/04 (PP on 24/3/18)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Torquay v Guiseley 24/04 (PP on 24/3/18)

Post by lucy6lucy »

Having watched us batter and dominate the away fixture in September until the 87th minute, the game after Nicholson was sacked, No way would I think this match now determines who will finish bottom. We played so well that match, it was daylight robbery. However we just don't help ourselves Our defeat that match, kind of sums our season up...just a complete disaster/disgrace. We are going down that's a fact. We shouldn't be in this predicament. It's irrelevant this match in it being a six pointer , as both are getting relegated. 3-1 Torquayunited
Lucy
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I don't agree with this 'daylight robbery' attitude apportioned to games where we should've garnered all the points available.
The whole point of football is to score more goals than your opposition within the allotted time allowed by the referee , failure to do so , as we have most of this season, will inevitably result in us fans bemoaning our luck & castigating the opposition with such comments as " they only had one bloody shot in the whole 90 minutes, & that was heading out for a throw in when it hit our full backs arse & flew into the top corner, lucky b@$tard$ " .
One thing I've learned about football in my 50 yrs is that you make your own luck, if you don't shoot you don't score etc etc, this season we haven't made the opposition's keeper work hard enough, were easy to defend against & so predictable & at the other end our defence is so worried about making a mistake they invariably do, & it costs us dearly, this isn't down to luck or any other fortuitous or unfortunate means , it's solely down to our own inability to do the bloody obvious & cut out the schoolboy errors week in week out, we just don't learn, all 3 of our manager's this season have seen it happen to them but yet we're still making costly howlers ,we just don't learn.
Like I said ' you make your own luck in this game,' we have a canny knack of being other teams lucky omen as we've beaten ourselves more often than being totally crap, useless at basics, yes, but totally crap, not quite.
Scoring goals is the hardest thing to achieve at any level, but we've been masters of it all season, that's not down to luck or misfortune , it's solely down to not bringing in fit for purpose players in the pre season & also during the season , the panic signings of forwards has been ,at best, laughable, until Mssrs Romain & Williams were bought in, & of course as usual, at TUFC, it's all been too late , the top prizes in the lucky dip have gone, & we're left with the reduced to clear items at full cost.
We are where we are because we do not do the bloody basics right & fail to be any sort of a threat when we get up to the business end of the field, simple as that, & until we put that shocking statistic right we'll always struggle.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

0-3, 3-0, 6-0, 0-6, in fact, pick any scoreline you like.... doesn't really matter any more does it. The 'players' are just going through the motions before the inevitable slide into oblivion. The majority of supporters (myself included) have come to terms with the fact that we are not going to be playing national football next season (or for a long time after that if the current squad/management/ownership remain in situ).

Just be glad when this season is done and dusted. It's always a rollercoaster ride being a United fan, we've had some brilliants times, we've had some really shit times.... but this season has just been the straw that has broken the camel's back.

I was planning on coming down (as I do every season) for the final game of the season. Guess I'll be saving a few quid this year because there is no way on earth that I want to attend the funeral of a very dear friend and watch the coffin disappear behind the curtains.

Sad times.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I'm coming down for this one. Thought it would be an important game and if not I at least wanted to see one more meaningful National League fixture at Plainmoor. I suppose it's still theoretically meaningful in that it's the first of 8 games we have to win to have a chance of staying up.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

standupsitdown wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 07:24 I at least wanted to see one more meaningful National League fixture at Plainmoor. I suppose it's still theoretically meaningful in that it's the first of 8 games we have to win to have a chance of staying up.
And therein lays the nub......it means **** all to that sorry collection of losers we have as players........

I've looked into their eyes as they left the field at Maidstone and Solihull; there's nothing there, it's why we're where we are ~ too big a percentage of the side are merely there on loan to get some experience and will be gone soon. Most of the rest will be gone also; leaving us even further down the football pyramid caring not an iota how that effects us or what it means to us.

Saturday's disastrous equaliser at Solihull summed it up; a needless free kick conceded by a player lacking the fortitude and determination to put his body in the way of an on coming opponent and then weakly giving that set-piece away so that an inferior side can compete on the only level playing field they could muster on the day ~ a lofted ball into the box where the superior physique and determination of Liam Daley won it in the air for them and the knock down being despatched past an exposed goalkeeper.

Weak; weak, weak ~ the story of this pathetic bunch of mental pygmies!!! :@
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I will add two of my own.

Lack of professional pride.

Lack of self dignity.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

They do of course have an opportunity to prove us wrong then be in a position to stick two fingers up at us and seek apologies.

But that's not going to happen is it.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Too late for that ...too late to hit the ground running should have started the relegation scrap in August

I'm putting a new video up in the history section this afternoon if anyone is interested.

I know it's just kind of prob not the right time but I found the last game of the 1988 season v Scunthorpe ( not the play-off game ) but the one we should have won to get promotion.

Again have the full Sheffield Wednesday fa cup game in 1989 of I get time at Hillsborough.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

westyorkshiregull wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 10:03 Too late for that ...too late to hit the ground running should have started the relegation scrap in August

I'm putting a new video up in the history section this afternoon if anyone is interested.

I know it's just kind of prob not the right time but I found the last game of the 1988 season v Scunthorpe ( not the play-off game ) but the one we should have won to get promotion.

Again have the full Sheffield Wednesday fa cup game in 1989 of I get time at Hillsborough.
Failed will have to try again another day. Also have the full match v Notts county about 6 or 7 years ago if I can dodge the copyright or if it's allowed
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 10:03 Too late for that ...too late to hit the ground running should have started the relegation scrap in August

Went that match in Sheffield. I'm sure we equalised to make it 1-1, I think we lost 4-1. But it was long time ago, bit weary being in the leppings away section.
Lucy
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

lucy6lucy wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 23:25 Went that match in Sheffield. I'm sure we equalised to make it 1-1, I think we lost 4-1. But it was long time ago, bit weary being in the leppings away section.

I'll put whole match on then of your interested Lucy.

Looking at that away end does put a chill in my spine. God bless them !!!

What players we had , just watched that clip and think the mascot could get in our team now
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Has to go gung Ho tomorrow.
Healey, Romain and Williams all upfront.
Nothing to lose so might as well go for it!!!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Pitch inspection at 9am after heavy overnight rain.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

We need the 3 points not a postponement

COYY
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper