Maidstone v Torquayunited 10/3/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Maidstone v Torquayunited 10/3/18

Post by lucy6lucy »

The feel good factor is back, we haven't lost in the last 2 weekends. Bring on Maidstone, they are in free fall, so what better time to play us. Our only fitness worry this week is our manager, he is recovering from a wasted 8 hour trip on Tuesday, my heart goes out to him. Our captain fantastic told devonlive we must not lose, can someone show him the league table please.
My prediction 2-1 Maidstone, sorry ray.
Lucy
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Well, another Saturday….another ‘let’s hope we win this one’. But the odds are against us.

We’ve lost all 3 encounters with Maidstone in the Conference (plus the humiliating 0-4 reversal in the FA Trophy). The one and only time we’ve triumphed over the Stones was way back in December 1989 with a narrow 2-1 win at home in the old Division 4.

So, can we make it two wins in 29 years? Heart says ‘yes’ as Maidstone are in freefall at the moment without a win in something like 15 games. But my head says ‘no’ as we once again fail to impress on the plastic at The Gallagher.

Or, do miracles really happen and we (once again) get given some false hope regarding our survival? This is Torquay United, so who knows!
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes McGinty and the team need to realise this is a game they must win, not avoid defeat !
Maidstone not won for 17 games , must have fragile confidence, we need to get at them from the start
must be more chance of a win here than against relatively in form Orient and Solihull. A few draws are
acceptable of course but if we draw them all, 38 points will not keep us up !
Fredgull
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Fredgull »

New poster here. Can anyone tell me where our supporters will be going for a beer before the game?
Cheers
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I've posted elsewhere on other forums, Maidstone will at least think their bad run is about to end, any body on a terrible run of results only have to come up against a Torquay team & hey presto bad run over, it doesn't matter where Torquay are in the league it always happens it always has & always will do, as long as we all have holes in our asses.
Sorry guys check out the history it's true I tell you.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Desperado makes a point about Maidstone not having won for 17 games.

There is no excuse for not going all out to try and win this game. Even if it's even stevens late on ala Macclesfield then this game must be won.

Their confidence is shot to pieces. Take advantage. Even if we go a goal down they'll be nervous. Get at them and get the job done.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I take it due to the lack of response , & not just on this match day thread, that apathy is setting in with us supporters , in what will be a season, or more than likely the end of the club as we've all grown up with, defining match.
It's now match day & this thread has just 5 responses ! Have we all given up now ? Have we all now realised all the effort being put into the club in an official basis from the puppet master & his marionette is to destabilise the support & slowly but surely devalue the club on & off the pitch ?
4 months ago at least there was quite a lot of noise coming from this forum but now it's barely a whimper we're playing right into Osbornes hands Harrops had an easy ride of late & were led to believe Osbornes not happy with all of the negative comments.
Or is it just nerves on our part ?
Discuss, or not if you want.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

It’s not really a season defining match though. Win, lose or draw this match we will still be relegated.

I hope we win, but does it have any bearing on the season? No, not in my opinion.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

It's been so quiet because there have been no matches to get angry about! When we had our unbeaten spell it was fairly quiet then too, and crticism of the owner, general manager and team manager died down considerably. When we suffered those two appalling home losses recently the 'noise' went up appreciably and insults were being hurled around once again. Having said that, I think most supporters (including me) can see the writing on the wall and the probability that we will be playing NLS football next season. I expect a draw today - really can't see any more than that. To escape relegation now would be the greatest comeback since Lazarus.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

It clearly IS season defining. By the end of it we will have no hope or a glimmer of hope. I will gladly settle for the glimmer.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

A Torquay win means nothing if Barrow win too, and also perhaps Hartlepool.

Barrow at Macc so unlikely though and Solihull at Sutton which makes this game a must win if we are to take advantage of others around us losing possibly.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Dream headline in tomorrow's N-L Paper:
GULLS HEADING FOR THE (BR)EXIT DOOR? HAT-TRICK HERO ROMAIN HAS THE ANSWER
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Dazza wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 09:58 It clearly IS season defining. By the end of it we will have no hope or a glimmer of hope. I will gladly settle for the glimmer.
I think the failure to win in 29 of our previous 35 games is the defining point of our season. Stop kidding yourself, we are going down.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

You mean like the no hope we had after other matches such as Bromley?

Let’s not be deluded. Win or lose today, we will still be in conference south next season.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Another cracking quote from Owers, 'if we get nothing from the next three games it will be difficult ' !!!!