Part time football ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Jerry wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 09:20 Has he ever managed in the National South? I thought his experience was restricted to the Southern and Western Leagues.
That's what I thought. I appreciate Southern League Premier is only one level below where we are heading, but Bideford are currently a further level below that in Division 1 South and West.

I've got no problems with us training in Bristol if it opens up the possibility of more players being interested in us, but hope very much we don't go part time under Osborne's ownership. I suspect we are screwed in terms of positivity for the long-term until he has gone, barring soundbites that lead to nothing of substance. And at that point, it will be a question of how screwed we are by his and GI's loans and whether there is any coming back from it.

I think we can bounce back from going down to Southern League Premier if we suffer a double relegation because of our comparative income from the gate alone. And it would be way higher than our competitors, whatever your prediction as to the drop-off of support. We wouldn't require a benevolent, malevolent or loan issuing owner at that level, in my opinion. Possibly we might do the same from Conference South? Whether we will or not will depend on building on that income, channelling it into the team and better decision-making than we currently see.

I see TUFC increasing it's debt to a disinterested property developing owner through loans as things are and look to be heading. Some may even feel as time goes on that maybe we should have that new shiny ground he sporadically pops up and talks about, so we can all move on. And that could bugger us up even in the Southern League in the aftermath of Osborne's and GI's loans with just housing around the proposed site of said new shiny stadium as per the 'death of a thousand cuts' examples we have read about elsewhere. We'd need Plainmoor for a 'new' unburdened club at that point if (big if) it was still available for us to ever dream again of that holy grail of Football League status.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

arcadia wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 19:30 If we go part-time a local manager should be appointed and [highlight=yellow]I thought we should have had Shaun Joyce before Nicholson was appointed and he would have done a better job as he has the experience[/highlight].
experience of what exactly???

we needed a proven experienced football league/national league manager.
however, Nicho achieved his task - on two occasions.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

PhilGull wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 12:50 To be fair it's not like Osbourne hasn't invested money already, Nicho didn't sign all those experienced players in the summer for nothing. I would imagine the wage bill now is a lot higher than it has been for a number of years. Not to mention the cost of sacking Nicho and taking Owers and Kuhl from Bath.
As for turning part-time, I think that would be then end of us. And moving the training ground up north? Well that's tantamount to financial doping - cheating and we would cease to be Torquay United.
At the end of the day all I want to see is a self sufficient Torquay United based in and playing in Torquay.
Up The Gulls (even when they're down)
why do we have to be based in Torquay for training?? complete b*llocks.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Joyce has managed Bideford for donkeys years - what experience does that give him.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Unless we are planning for southern premier football
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

With the money that has been spent Osborne will want it back and when he see's his chance as he will call it in as he must have put £100000 in this season when he decides this the club will be in trouble.

The managers that have been appointed over the last few years have had no experience at all!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Make no bones about it Osborne will call in his debt with interest sooner than you all think, all this negativity directed towards him & his puppets is upsetting him big time & unless he can get what he wants he won't hang around any longer than necessary, he's already told us all he has NO KNOWLEDGE OF FOOTBALL so why the hell would you buy a football club no matter how it's acquired ?
We all know the ulterior motives in hand so let's not all burst in to tears when it goes tits up. I bet there will be a fair few who turn round & profess " I didn't think he'd really stitch us up ".
Sean Joyce is not the man we want, got his feet to far under the table at Bideford, it's all too cosy & safe too give up for a basket case like Torquay.
And as far as I'm concerned we can train from John'O'Groats to Lands end bypassing Torquay completely during the week , as long as we turn up at Plainmoor on Saturdays & win.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Dave Thomas speculating in today's Herald Express that because club is already talking to some of our "key players" about deals for next season,that this is a further hint that we are planing to remain full-time even if relegated.
"It is highly unlikely that United would be offering part-time contracts to their best players,so this news is the best indication so far that Osborne is prepared to back a full-time squad in 2018-19 even if the Gulls go down.",Thomas claims.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

How the **** can a single member of this sorry, underachieving and for the most part losing squad be described as 'key'?
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Do you lot like getting a kick out of discussing the same old tripe month after month, year after bl@@dy year.

He isnt interested in Foottball, hes interested in MONEY. How f*cking hard is it for some you to get that.

I know Im the only one now with this view, thats why i cannot stomach coming on here so much these days. this club is dying, has been for years and now with this lot in charge it will continue.

Better off to start a fresh, no debt, and rid of all the parasites. I will then buy a season ticket and if possible help in anyway i can. But not until this lot is gone.

A new owner taking over from this lot will be saddled with debt, no bl**dy chance of getting anywhere unless of course they are amulit multi millionaire and willing to put in an extraordinary load of money. Not impossible i grant you, BUT very very unlikely!
TUST MEMBER
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Neal wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 12:38 I know I’m the only one now with this view.... this club is dying, has been for years and now with this lot in charge it will continue.
I think you are far from alone in thinking that, Neal.

My post at the top of this page doesn’t seem a million miles away from what you’re saying and, if anything, your view might well be considered the view of the majority on this forum when it comes to appraisal of the current owner.

It’s easy to think all is futile when we have an owner with the track record he has elsewhere. Some will choose to immerse themselves in something else and some to immerse themselves in what they fear may soon be taken away. That and every point in between might be expressed by those feeling similarly to you. Don’t give up just yet, Neal.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Definitely far from being alone.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Neal wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 12:38 Do you lot like getting a kick out of discussing the same old tripe month after month, year after bl@@dy year.

He isnt interested in Foottball, hes interested in MONEY. How f*cking hard is it for some you to get that.

I know Im the only one now with this view, thats why i cannot stomach coming on here so much these days. this club is dying, has been for years and now with this lot in charge it will continue.

Better off to start a fresh, no debt, and rid of all the parasites. I will then buy a season ticket and if possible help in anyway i can. But not until this lot is gone.

A new owner taking over from this lot will be saddled with debt, no bl**dy chance of getting anywhere unless of course they are amulit multi millionaire and willing to put in an extraordinary load of money. Not impossible i grant you, BUT very very unlikely!
I agree in part, however if Osborne gets his way there will be no season ticket to buy, as we will have no ground to play at. We must keep plainmoor and only then can we as a club move forward . Let's not forget we must keep the pressure on Osborne so that's probably why it's always seems repetitive.
Lucy
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Anyhow osborne has said new ground before plainmoor gets smashed down ....im not defending him but my dear by 2020 and not even found a site yet and or planned it ...

Loads of rubbish