Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Not sure how this all fits into the Osbourne/Owers love in - particularly in relation to the 5 year plan that has 'Development' as one of its primary objectives.

What message is our club sending out here?

When has a physios' 'Continuing Professional Development' to improve his capability and competency as a progression from basic know-how to more advanced understanding of his role become paramount to gross misconduct and grounds for instant dismissal or non-renewal of contract.

Something is amiss in all of this.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 02 May 2018, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Southampton Gull wrote: 02 May 2018, 05:51 Conveniently forgetting that it was Harrop who signed and agreed contract details. Merse and Little Merse Wannabe can't resist slinging mud in their haste to defend Owers, as if anything he's done during his reign is defensible.
in fact can someone list Owers achievements please since he has been here. This actually isn't intended to be a sarcastic post, but I really would like to know, I have probably missed them.
TUST MEMBER
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 02 May 2018, 05:51 Conveniently forgetting that it was Harrop who signed and agreed contract details. Merse and Little Merse Wannabe can't resist slinging mud in their haste to defend Owers, as if anything he's done during his reign is defensible.
Every manager will want to bring in his own team, get your head around it & accept it, it happens week in week out in football.
'Laws' are there for people to break, they always have & always will, I don't like it & by the sounds of it Dave, nor do you, but we ain't going to change it any time soon.
I will judge Gary Owers fair & square, when he's had a close season to assemble his own squad & backroom team & started to compete competitively, not when you say I should, or if it hurts your feelings on little lord fauntleroys ( :bow: )obvious shortcomings.
We've been over this Nicholson itch time & time again & yes it's getting boring.
And as for being called little ! If only you new Dave if only you knew, ha ha ha.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 02 May 2018, 08:41When has a physios' 'Continuing Professional Development' to improve his capability and competency as a progression from basic know-how to more advanced understanding of his role become paramount to gross misconduct and grounds for instant dismissal or non-renewal of contract.
If you get hysterical and make ludicrous statements ~ instant dismissal doesn't come into it ~ you fail to get your argument accross.....as has been said, this is a football club ~ a failing football club throughout Gareth Law's time in the role and as such he should always be anticpating being replaced ~ and if he really did see his position advertsied then he shouldn't be all that surprised.

One would have thought the manager's job should have been advertised by the club before the last unsatisfactory one to their owner's/senior management's liking before they dismissed him; but it wasn't and so we had the six week hiatus between deciding he was going to be got shot of and finally replaced.

There are two types of notice period: statutory and contractual.

Statutory notice is the minimum legal notice that can be given. Employers should give the employee:
one week's notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for one month or more, but for less than two years
two weeks' notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for two years, and one additional week's notice for each further complete year of continuous employment, up to a maximum of 12 weeks. For example if an employee has worked for 5 years then they are entitled to 5 weeks' notice.

Contractual notice is the amount of notice that the employer can set out in the terms and conditions of employment which can be longer than the statutory notice. For example the statutory notice an employee must give to an employer is one week, however, an employer can state within the terms of employment that an employee must give one month's notice.

Fixed term contracts
Generally, no notice of the expiry of a fixed-term contract will need to be given, however, if the contract is terminated by giving notice before its expiry date then the correct amount of statutory notice should be given. Failure by the employer to give the correct notice period may amount to a breach of contract and employees may make a claim to an employment tribunal.

source: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4096
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Neal wrote: 02 May 2018, 08:44 in fact can someone list Owers achievements please since he has been here. This actually isn't intended to be a sarcastic post, but I really would like to know, I have probably missed them.
A very short volume I’m afraid. Available in a pack with the Jose Mourinho Book of Humility, the Steve Evans Book of Fair Play and the Osborne Guide to Building Stadia.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 02 May 2018, 10:07 If you get hysterical and make ludicrous statements ~ instant dismissal doesn't come into it ~ you fail to get your argument accross.....as has been said, this is a football club ~ a failing football club throughout Gareth Law's time in the role and as such he should always be anticpating being replaced ~ and if he really did see his position advertsied then he shouldn't be all that surprised.
'hysterical' - That's a first. As for 'ludicrous' - it's be known to happen. My message was in the main to get across the correlation of the club development programme and the dismissal of a physio for the very same goal i.e. 'development'. For that is what we have been informed on the forum.

I am well versed in contractual notice periods but did not elaborate in fear of 'boring the pants' off everyone, hence my abbreviated version for effect. I am sure you agree that to advertise before making the employee aware of their termination of employment is a high risk strategy. The club risk constructive or unfair dismissal depending on what has been spoken of and what action is taken. A tribunal could well view the advertising of Gareth's role as not being fair or reasonable, in that the club pre-determined the outcome, i.e. his termination.

The above aside my last line was '"Something is amiss in all of this.". This being that I find it hard to believe that Gareth's employment was terminated just on the grounds of his 'Continued Personal Development'. Therefore, to calm my hysteria and turn my 'cock-eyed' statement into some form of realism. please do explain to me the exact reason for Gareth's termination (with or without notice)
Last edited by MellowYellow on 02 May 2018, 12:01, edited 3 times in total.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 02 May 2018, 10:36 A very short volume I’m afraid. Available in a pack with the Jose Mourinho Book of Humility, the Steve Evans Book of Fair Play and the Osborne Guide to Building Stadia.
The Gary Owers CV has been listed for the Booker Prize for fiction
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Arrywithnobrain wrote: 02 May 2018, 11:45 The Gary Owers CV has been listed for the Booker Prize for fiction
And where exactly does your CV on managing a successful professional football team then 'Arry ?
I expect it's within the realms of doesn't exist .
I've got no allegiance to Gary Owers or Martin Khul but for God's sake man get behind him , he isn't going anywhere soon & no doubt if by the chance of a minor miracle we do end up being successful next season what are you going to do then ?
Probably disappear into the ether to eat humble pie, so let's all hope we are a success just to see Arrys reaction.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Teigngull wrote: 02 May 2018, 12:40 And where exactly does your CV on managing a successful professional football team then 'Arry ?
I've got no allegiance to Gary Owers or Martin Khul but for God's sake man get behind him , he isn't going anywhere soon & no doubt if by the chance of a minor miracle we do end up being successful next season what are you going to do then ?
Probably disappear into the ether to eat humble pie, so let's all hope we are a success just to see Arrys reaction.
Get behind him?

What is there to get behind?! He managed to relegate us to our lowest ever league position.
He won 10 matches out of 38 that he was in charge of!!

Why the hell should we get behind somebody who has failed dismally at their job?!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Speculation.....
Rumours......
Gossip......
Conspiracy theory.......

Bloody hell its like a woman’s cloakroom in here.

Good luck to Gareth but move on.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Owers is going nowhere so let's wait to see the squad he assembles for the coming season then judge him.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Or give him the obligatory 4 games at the start of the season ....
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

nickbrod wrote: 02 May 2018, 20:37 Owers is going nowhere so let's wait to see the squad he assembles for the coming season then judge him.
That's what we are told by many on this forum was our big mistake at the start of this season, allowing an incompetent manager to assemble the squad and then judge him. And the difference next season is...? Still full marks for your eternal optimism .
Last edited by MellowYellow on 02 May 2018, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 02 May 2018, 19:29 Get behind him?

What is there to get behind?! He managed to relegate us to our lowest ever league position.
He won 10 matches out of 38 that he was in charge of!!

Why the hell should we get behind somebody who has failed dismally at their job?!
Ok you have all the answers by the sounds of it, what are we supposed to do ?
Gary Owers is going nowhere at least till September after another shocking start, that's what CO does ( I wouldn't count on it though ).
So until then stop the whingeing, were In this league because of poor management in the boardroom as well as the pitch over the last 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 years that's a **** long time to lay the blame on the club's dire predicament on one man.
It'll take a major miracle to turn this sorry state of a club around, & until WE all pull in the same direction it won't happen any time soon.
And I say WE because we have a vital role to play in this, prospective signings will look on these forums ( it's no good saying they won't 'cos, I know factually they do , very regularly ) in fighting, slagging the manager, constant dissing of the owner really does put doubt into players minds.
That's why we should back him, fair enough if you don't want to, but don't for God's sake expect anything different to happen.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

Teigngull wrote: 02 May 2018, 12:40 And where exactly does your CV on managing a successful professional football team then 'Arry ?
As you would know, and indeed demonstrate at every possible opportunity, you do not have to be an expert either to have or to voice an opinion. That is the point of the forum - a point that bigoted egotists like yourself appear to miss. It would be very good to see Torquay United being successful next season - particularly as the nucleus of the team will be ex-Nicholson players if they agree the contracts which they have apparently been offered.
Was it you that was moaning about making personal insults? Probably not, but without making it seem that you are a total moron could you explain how you think that you will see my reaction if I have disappeared into the ether. Of course I would be delighted if Owers is responsible for making Torquay United a successful professional football team, just as I would be delighted if you were to make a cogent, well reasoned , intelligent post but, whilst the former is hugely more likely than the latter, the chances of either actually occurring are currently buried deep within those renowned "realms of doesn't exist".
I do know that lemmings do not jump off cliffs but I am sure that they would if they had Owers as their leader, so it is obvious that one should get behind him: it is a pity that only Guiseley and Chester felt the same.