Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

How do you know that mind me asking ?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Well Owers has had a wasted journey as the game was called off after the 7.45 ko time due to a serious accident on the M25 as only 4 Maidstone players made it to the ground.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 18:14 How do you know that mind me asking ?
He doesn't. Nicholson used someone he trusts to do the future opponent analysis, another common misconception.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

desperado wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 16:24 Osborne was quoted as saying, ' the more
I meet with him, the more convinced I am that he is the right man for the job' or words to that effect
I hope he is right, though as some will say, depends what the job is I suppose !
This apparent quote from our dear leader just shows what a mess we're in , how on earth would Osborne know if Owers is the right man for the job ? He's already admitted to one & all he knows FA about football.
Why employ Harrop to search out a new manager if his recommendations are going to be poo pooed & passed to the out tray ?
This club is being run by outright charlatans & too many of us are still talking about possible survival in this league, it isn't going to happen , it's not part of the 5 yr plan is it ?
In the cold light of day we are being bank rolled by business loans from a wealthy owner , so no money issues there,
We've got one of the best stadiums in this league , but the owner doesn't want us to stay here , he wants to stick us in a cheap & nasty tin pot shed , he won't spend millions & millions it'll be done as cheaply as possible if at all if his ' stadium building ' history runs to form .
We're one of the best supported clubs in this division , so the interest from fans is still there,
We apparently dole out decent 2 year contracts on fair wages for this division. Perma crocks need only apply.
So for these few reasons alone I cannot believe how many fans I've spoken too still believe in this Osborne & Harrop horror show .
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 22:07 He doesn't. Nicholson used someone he trusts to do the future opponent analysis, another common misconception.
And that method worked out well for us too didn't it :whistle:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Is Owers likely to do that? Of course he isn't. If Osborne doesn't sack him he will be here next season. Did Nicholson resign when he realized his lottery winning squad were just a bench of dud tickets. Of course he didn't and no one would have expected him to.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Teigngull wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 22:12 And that method worked out well for us too didn't it :whistle:
Better than it has this season.........
Dave

Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 22:17 Better than it has this season.........
Sure did, what we'd all give for another LUCKY manager @ the ass end of the season for the 3rd yr in a row :scarf:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

There was no luck involved, just a galvanised squad playing for their manager. Can you see Owers inspiring this lot? I can't.
Dave

Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 22:31 There was no luck involved, just a galvanised squad playing for their manager. Can you see Owers inspiring this lot? I can't.
No I can't see a miracle happening this season, & if one was close to occurring it would surely get the kibosh treatment from the puppet master & his dancing marionette.
As for the Nico debate, I'm out !
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Me too, until someone posts bollocks ;-)
Dave

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

nickbrod wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 20:29Well Owers has had a wasted journey as the game was called off after the 7.45 ko time due to a serious accident on the M25 as only 4 Maidstone players made it to the ground.
Got caught up in that myself on the other side of the Thames Crossing en route to Billericay where we just made it in time to see a brilliant top of the table game (Billericay Town 1 Dulwich Hamlet 3) Three hour delays were being broadcast on the overhead gantries.

The Macclesfield team and most of their supporters (however few that might have been) were in the ground ready to go but only four home players. The same thing happened to us at Dover a couple of years ago when the game had to kick-off late with home players rushing into the ground at the 7.45 kick-off time.

These things happen and there's nothing anyone can do about it......Owers must have been feeling like he's cursed and been at home playing with the kids or down the local hospital instead.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Without sounding lazy merse as I could just look myself but as you follow that level I'm interested in the situation at billiricay town from your own words
Did the co manager leave ? I know they miles at the top while back , are they still ? What s the situation there as far as you know

They remind me of garforth town up here in Leeds a few years ago. Can't quite remember what happened there but had the dream but bubble burst
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

The owner and 'co-manager' of billericay town are one and the same person. The owner Glenn Tamplin announced he was standing down as manager only for the staff to vote in favour of him staying; sounds very much a put up job.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Don't believe everything you read about Glenn Tamplin...

A lot more personable and approachable a guy than one would imagine yet self-confessed 'OCD' ; a man with a big heart but a brain that can at times be considerably smaller.

I know and had a brief chat with; his professional manager Harry Wheeler after the game last night ~ he was my eldest son's lead coach at Dagenham & Redbridge ~ who actually does all the match management and manages the coaching team with players that Glenn gets him using his considerable financial clout.

My first visit to the ground since he totally rebuilt it in the summer and I must say it is quality with first class brick laying, concreting, pointing and stand erection with total seating on both sides and covered standing at either end.

The pitch was a sand covered shit pit however and you wouldn't turn hippos loose on it let alone professional footballers; and as Harry told me last night it is exhausting his players in this Sat-Tue- (occasionally Thurs) - Sat programme. No time for proper recovery, no time for training/coaching sessions just play, recover, travel; play........a demanding schedule that now sees them on a five game losing run. As he said last night; games in hand are little use if you're not winning them!

None of the iconic signings on show last night ~ Jamie O'Hara, Jermaine Pennant, Sanchez Watt with Paul Konchesky now retired and running his pie and mash business in Brentwood. A team of National League standard: Jake Robinson, Alan Julian, Joe Kizzie, Sam Deering, Adam Cunnington and others starting like a house on fire and chucking the kitchen sink at Hamlet only to get sucked in, picked off and destroyed on the break in the second half on a heavy and sloping pitch. they were done over like a kipper alright by the best match manager (Gavin Rose) in the business.

I'm told all the refurbishment and construction has been done without planning permission on a ground with only two years left on the lease but already up to Football League standard and plenty of secure parking for punters at a fiver a head that brought them in another £6 grand last night!

It's a club where the customer is king and facilities are excellent: food court with picnic tables and benches; food outlets and toilets in all four corners, damned good floodlights, a two story club house fitted out like an Essex night club should be and a thriving culture surrounding it that loves and enthusiastically patronises that sort of facility.

I've spoken to Glenn on a number of occasions and told his wife he would be better off leaving the football side of it to Harry and concentrating on the business side but you know and I know what an addictive drug football is and he's a highly energetic young man addicted to being on the touchline and wheeling and dealing the contracts big time; and Harry's not thirty yet either!

Will it last or will the bubble burst big time? I can't forecast that; but his town can support National League football has in the past supported Conference South football; but last night's sub one thousand crowd which was 25% made up of travelling Dulwich fans and the sight of hundreds walking out and leaving the ground near empty Arsenal & West Ham style; as the winning goal went in only hit home to me what a shit sandwich football can be so often and what a collective bunch of tossers so often come along to watch it. A 17 minutes stoppage to stabilise a stricken visiting player with a suspected punctured lung and both sides being taken off the field by the referee ~ the guy could have been dead to all intents and purposes ~ lead to all sorts of ignorant (and might I suggest race orientated) 'banter' within my earshot which was shameful and did not show Billericay in the best of light.

........might I add that I had a decent conversation with a watching Gavin Tomlin (who has almost fully recovered from a broken leg at the start of the season) straight after the final whistle and he was telling me how he enjoyed his time at Torquay and cannot believe the depths to which the club has been allowed to fall. He could be playing against us for Hamlet next season after all!

A 6' drop from corner to corner; this is what they played on last night!

When I say don't believe all you read...........Glenn stood and shook every Dulwich Hamlet player and staff's hand as they left the field last night and was rewarded with them all hammering on his teams' dressing room door and laughing and jeering as they headed for their showers.