Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

LOOOUUUDD NOISES!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

brooker wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 15:15 LOOOUUUDD NOISES!
You really need to get that tinnitus sorted Brooker. :}
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Yorkieandy wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 13:49 Take Steve Bould at Arsenal. Been Wenger's assistant for ages now but when the chips are down he just hides in his comfort seat in the dugout, fails to take any responsibility and basically fails at his job. P*ss weak as any other tea that isn't Yorkshire tea.
You're chucking (throwaway) clichéd stuff in because you have nothing better to say but want to be saying something aren't you?

I very much doubt you have any experience or first hand account as to just how Steve Bould does his job, the parameters of his role or indeed the manner in which he carries it out.

One National League assistant manager I know (indeed we were talking last week) and who has a lifetime of working in the game; has never harboured any ambition to be a number one but that does not take anything away from his quiet intellectual observations of players and teams alike; game management required as a match progresses and the strengths and weaknesses of opponents to say nothing of his encyclopaedic knowledge of talent both emerging and available in the lower levels of the game. Out at one game or another almost every single day or night and a priceless asset to his club's management structure and yet when he was at his last two clubs there were Internet boards questioning what the hell he did all week.

Had his CV not got TWO promotions to the Football League on it, then they might well be justified in asking those questions; but seeing as he was head hunted this summer to move from one club to another, I would suggest that those people (like you) are basing their opinions on anecdotal belief rather than hard knowledge.
popside_lad
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by popside_lad »

merse btpir wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 15:43 You're chucking (throwaway) clichéd stuff in because you have nothing better to say but want to be saying something aren't you?

I very much doubt you have any experience or first hand account as to just how Steve Bould does his job, the parameters of his role or indeed the manner in which he carries it out.

One National League assistant manager I know (indeed we were talking last week) and who has a lifetime of working in the game; has never harboured any ambition to be a number one but that does not take anything away from his quiet intellectual observations of players and teams alike; game management required as a match progresses and the strengths and weaknesses of opponents to say nothing of his encyclopaedic knowledge of talent both emerging and available in the lower levels of the game. Out at one game or another almost every single day or night and a priceless asset to his club's management structure and yet when he was at his last two clubs there were Internet boards questioning what the hell he did all week.

Had his CV not got TWO promotions to the Football League on it, then they might well be justified in asking those questions; but seeing as he was head hunted this summer to move from one club to another, I would suggest that those people (like you) are basing their opinions on anecdotal belief rather than hard knowledge.
:goodpost:
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Steve Bould sits in his comfy chair and chews gum. When Arsenal go two, three down he continues to sit in his comfy seat and chew gum.

Now he may have done some stellar pre match preparation with the players and may give the players a right rollicking afterwards but during the 90 minutes when it matters he sits in his comfy chair and chews gum.

How does this help the team then?

Even more so when he was considered a vocal and strong leader back in his playing days. Arsenal need strong, vocal leaders. They've already got one soft, studious person and that's Wenger. Why do they need two?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

brooker wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 13:59 Have you just heard rumours Merse or anything solid?
Rumours on the appointment but some solid stuff from one two individuals who have applied. Some applicants will pass certain stuff onto the social or formal media to suit their own agenda or raise their own profile. Many of those 'in the game' but currently 'resting' are paranoid as to whether or not they are remembered or forgotten......you can't blame them for that.

If you were out of the employment that you desire for a certain amount of time you would be the same wouldn't you? There are former and 'wannabee' managers working as academy coaches, scouts and consultants to keep the money coming in and maintain their profile. Go to certain grounds and they turn up at matches suited and booted, glad handing people they know who could be influential and keeping their knowledge and records of the game up to date. Many such as these will have applied for the job. I do not envy them their discomfort and insecurity of being in that position!
Last edited by merse btpir on 30 Aug 2017, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

See above
TUST number 080
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Nobody appears to know who the next manager is ( now I am wondering if Harrop even does). If Nicho was called a Messiah' after two, so called, 'great escapes' what sort of 'deity' do we need to appoint to escape a third time? or are we already doomed to sink further into the deep mire.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 15:52 There are former and 'wannabee' managers working ... to keep the money coming in and maintain their profile.[/b]
Merse there are many of these in the real 'working' world as well. They are there for a reason. But lets stick to football managers as you 'do not envy them their discomfort and insecurity of being in that position'! Must say Merse I did not see you display such empathy for a former and 'wannabee' manager called Kevin Nicholson.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 30 Aug 2017, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Nobody really knows the various and many diverse ways in which individual management teams work; but one thing's for sure and that is a club needs a management team rather than simply a manager and that's why so many come with their own tried and trusted assistants, coaches and physios with the.....

If you are a number two then you are the eyes and ears of the manager and you certainly have an input into the coaching side and an input into the game management side. You screen your boss from all the many and time consuming calls, emails and texts from agents, the media and even parents of the younger players. Try contacting a manager yourself and it's almost certain you will be diverted to his assistant.

At some clubs the assistant will take on the primary role of coaching and preparing the side for a match with the manager coming in and adding his own final touch pre-match; at others it might not even be that with the coach and preparation delegated to specific individuals who will do the job whilst the assistant and his boss carry out other work. Dealing with the executive (chairman or owner) for one is one role that an assistant will rarely if ever need to undertake.

Some assistants work during a match at their boss's side whilst others might be in the stand or even another side of the ground watching intently ~ they might not even be at the game at all but at another game watching future opponents or prospective signings.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 16:14 Must say Merse I did not see you display such empathy for a former and 'wannabee' manager called Kevin Nicolson.
I didn't like the manner in which he was 'gifted' the job to satisfy the romantic nature of those charged with directing it responsibly. We've seen the outcome of that with Hargreaves and now we've seen it all again with Nicholson and the club is exactly in the predicament I predicted it would be at the time.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Exactly my point Merse - most former managers are out of work for a reason and often not good. I don't buy into the old school tie network and rubbing shoulders with those with influence just to keep themselves in employment. Its that sort of recruitment that gave us Alan -squirrel - Knill, Hargreaves and Nicholson in the first place. We need to break the mould this time round and select purely on merit and providing the tools and resources to carry out the job. .
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

If GI buying plainmoor is as secretive and covert as hiring a manager then we got a job on our hands saving our ground. Bet plainmoor is all sewn up and no one's knows about it.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

OR are we secretly being secretly being sold to Smurthwaite's daughter with an Adams - Purse combination emerging? .....
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Dazza noting would surprise me