Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

I'd take Westley. Don't particularly like him but look where nice blokes got us!

He won't stand for any nonsense from the players, knows the division and I couldn't see him being a GI yes man either.

I'm with SGF on this one.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

sgf wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 10:53 So, just so I am clear people have been moaning like buggery because the club haven't appointed anyone, right? The rumours are that Westley has the job and surprise surprise, people are moaning like buggery!!!

He has a decent win percentage, he isn't popular - so f@!@king what!!! I have previously said that I would rather an unpopular successful manager than a nice one in the Conf South.....

I think given our league position and the toxic atmosphere at the club this isn't a bad appointment. So what if he **** some people off - we have had years of sub standard football caused by complacency and bullshit sound bytes with no consequences for, frankly woeful performances and, at times, attitude. Time to ruffle feathers and let the guy - if it is him - get on with his job. If players dont like it, tough. If they listen they might learn something as you dont manage 900 games by being a shit manager.I don't see clubs lining up to take them.

Do you think Westley would stand for players being beaten by half-time??? No.

Give him a chance.
:goodpost:

Agree wholeheartedly with this. If you want a "nice" bloke in charge get Nicho back in and enjoy the mediocrity. These players don't need someone desperate to be their mate, they need a kick up the arse! On the Herald podcast this week Dave Thomas mentioned that he didn't think the players had receive a "bollocking" once in the last couple of years even after the utter shitness they have produced!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Anyway where exact has this Westley connection come from. I hear from tully....not on his Twitter ..has someone bumped into him in home bargains or something ??.

I do agree better than no manager and better than some. Not one I'm jumping for joy over but still I'm sure could do better than the dross we keep being served up.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Jerry wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:01 :goodpost:

Agree wholeheartedly with this. If you want a "nice" bloke in charge get Nicho back in and enjoy the mediocrity. These players don't need someone desperate to be their mate, they need a kick up the arse! On the Herald podcast this week Dave Thomas mentioned that he didn't think the players had receive a "bollocking" once in the last couple of years even after the utter shitness they have produced!
I can't even comprehend that, if that is true... :O
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

For me, its more the fact he effectively kicked Farnborough down the hill towards liquidation by taking a chunk of money and running off with it. Okay, they did hang on a for years after he left, but they seemingly never recovered from his spell there.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

The best we can hope for is a manager with experience in this league or and league 2 with contacts and Westley offers us this.

People are very quick to judge a candidates last role and call him a failure but lets be honest, no one that has recently been a huge success in this league or league 2 recently would be unemployed nor would they want this job!

The only way to get a manager thats on a hot streak is to appoint from the leagues below and then you lose the experience and potential contacts. Westley would do me.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

View1 wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:07 The best we can hope for is a manager with experience in this league or and league 2 with contacts and Westley offers us this.

People are very quick to judge a candidates last role and call him a failure but lets be honest, no one that has recently been a huge success in this league or league 2 recently would be unemployed nor would they want this job!

The only way to get a manager thats on a hot streak is to appoint from the leagues below and then you lose the experience and potential contacts. Westley would do me.
Exactly - Ranieri lost twice to The Faroe Islands before being sacked as Greece's manager. He went on to take the Leicester job....an extreme example but you get my point.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Unfortunately at gone 11am this morning there is still no official news of a managerial appointment. Are we really going to have to wait for another week?
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Looks that way.... it's getting a bit boring now.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It is actually laughable that someone is whinging because like Gi Westley is unpopular. Personally I can't stand the bloke but does that actually bother me if he becomes manager. No not a bit.

It wouldn't actually bother me if Evans and Raynor rocked up either. I like them less than Westley but one thing they have in common is that they turned Torquay teams over on regular basis.

Would I be happy if Torquay were transformed from a team of Conference South bound unfit nancy boy losers into a team that wasn't a soft touch?

Well yes actually.

Of course there is no guarantee that he will be a success - there never will be.

One things for sure - Westley won't be anybody's yes man
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

I agree with brucie
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

sgf wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 10:53 He has a decent win percentage, he isn't popular - so f@!@king what!!! I have previously said that I would rather an unpopular successful manager than a nice one in the Conf South.....
I think given our league position and the toxic atmosphere at the club this isn't a bad appointment. So what if he **** some people off - we have had years of sub standard football caused by complacency and bullshit sound bytes with no consequences for, frankly woeful performances and, at times, attitude. Time to ruffle feathers and let the guy - if it is him - get on with his job. If players dont like it, tough. If they listen they might learn something as you dont manage 900 games by being a shit manager.I don't see clubs lining up to take them.
Absolutely with you on all of that ~ and no; a Westley team wouldn't quit on their stools at half-time!

There is a possibility too that considering his business interests he might be bringing share ownership to the table too.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Jerry wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:01 If you want a "nice" bloke in charge get Nicho back in and enjoy the mediocrity. These players don't need someone desperate to be their mate, they need a kick up the arse! On the Herald podcast this week Dave Thomas mentioned that he didn't think the players had receive a "bollocking" once in the last couple of years even after the utter shitness they have produced!
Exactly! :-D
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

nickbrod wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:16 Unfortunately at gone 11am this morning there is still no official news of a managerial appointment. Are we really going to have to wait for another week?
If it is Graham Westley and he has legal obligation or contractual issues regarding Newport County to adhere to; then tomorrow (September 9th) represents six months to the day he was dismissed as their manager.

That's not dilly-dallying; it's acting with due regard for legalities. Westley might well have signed a disclaimer that he would not work in the game again for a specific period of time in exchange for a severance agreement. That might well be up tomorrow or it might well have been for longer and negotiation has had to be undertaken with his previous employers......we can neither know nor demand to know anything regarding personal matters and matters of employment contract.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

brucie wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:26 It is actually laughable that someone is whinging because like Gi Westley is unpopular. Personally I can't stand the bloke but does that actually bother me if he becomes manager. No not a bit.

It wouldn't actually bother me if Evans and Raynor rocked up either. I like them less than Westley but one thing they have in common is that they turned Torquay teams over on regular basis.

Would I be happy if Torquay were transformed from a team of Conference South bound unfit nancy boy losers into a team that wasn't a soft touch?

Well yes actually.

Of course there is no guarantee that he will be a success - there never will be.

One things for sure - Westley won't be anybody's yes man
I agree with Brucie :)