Transfer Rumours 18/19

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 16 May 2018, 14:54 Shouldn't a thread called Transfer Rumours 18/19 be started?
Better to keep this one running but to hopefully keep you happy I've renamed it.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

incoming signing on the clubs media channels!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Compton?
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Apparently we have made an offer for Sutton forward Ross Stearn according to someone on facebook.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

CraigUnder wrote: 17 May 2018, 22:36Apparently we have made an offer for Sutton forward Ross Stearn according to someone on facebook.
Played for Owers before ~ rejoined Sutton from Eastleigh last November, a year after making the move in the opposite direction. First signed for Sutton in summer 2015 after two years with Bath City, he played a big part in helping Sutton to the National League South championship in his first season. A former Bristol City youth player, he has also played for Forest Green, Chippenham and Weston-super-Mare; so yes, a very realistic piece of speculation.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

Wolborough wrote: 16 May 2018, 16:52Compton?
He has just signed for Chippenham F.C. supposedly Torquay did off him a contract but he got offered more at Chippenham
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Northampton gull wrote: 17 May 2018, 23:56 He has just signed for Chippenham F.C. supposedly Torquay did off him a contract but he got offered more at Chippenham
.....how do you know he 'got offered more'?

Or has he decided that ~ at the age of 29 ~ returning to full-time football well away from his home doesn't add up financially and lifestyle wise? I've seen it stated that he now lives in South Wales; well if he does then a short commute to Wiltshire and back for part-time football whilst continuing with whatever else he earns a living from or studies for; is a no brainer compared with committing to full-time well over a hundred miles from home up and down an increasingly painful M4/M5 corridor to negotiate.

I rather get the impression that the no more than average talent that is Jack Compton is being used to beat Torquay United and in particular Gary Owers with.

Like so many other managers, Owers will have many lines of enquiry and irons in fires this summer ~ no manager has ever procured every one of those lines in the past and no manager ever will in the future!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Gosh Merse. We wouldn't want to beat Gary Owers with anything would we ? We all have so much to be grateful to him for.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Jack Compton scored 12 goals from left wing last season (in the division we have now entered). On paper that is clearly the sort of player we should be trying to recruit. Instead we have announced the signing (who is also a winger by trade) who has scored 1 goal in 86 senior appearances and who also spent seven months injured last season at a team who also got relegated alongside us! I think it is fair to question that and the manager that has chosen to sign him (especially considering his performance so far in the role).

It might be we were never in for Compton, it might be that he turned us down because he prefers life commuting from home and part-time options which go with that but I think it is fair to say he is more than an 'average talent' for the level we now find ourselves at.

I really hope Bobson turns out to be a real gem (and that may be the case) but if you gave me the choice right at this moment I would pick Compton every time.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Except Bawling is almost certainly set for the right side of the set-up and Compton would have been for the left, so the comparisons are not authentic. I don't think Bawling being signed has any relevance to forum chat about Compton at all.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

merse btpir wrote: 18 May 2018, 14:13 Except Bawling is almost certainly set for the right side of the set-up and Compton would have been for the left, so the comparisons are not authentic. I don't think Bawling being signed has any relevance to forum chat about Compton at all.
Comparing potential wingers has no relevance on a fans forum? Really! Wingers often switch wings and even Bawling says he plays left wing at times in his video....
TUST member 328
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

To be fair, Bawling played as a RWB for Crawley most of the time in a 5/3 at the back, therefore it is more than likely he'll be playing a similar role with us, where Efete/Barnes played. Scoring goals isn't the biggest concern from this position and he notes in his interview his best assets are his athleticism and crossing which are ideal should he be played in a wing back role.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

OllieGull wrote: 18 May 2018, 14:51 To be fair, Bawling played as a RWB for Crawley most of the time in a 5/3 at the back, therefore it is more than likely he'll be playing a similar role with us, where Efete/Barnes played. Scoring goals isn't the biggest concern from this position and he notes in his interview his best assets are his athleticism and crossing which are ideal should he be played in a wing back role.
Fair points but he also stated his preferred position is the wing and from that I took it this is where he is expecting to play.
TUST member 328
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Richinns wrote: 18 May 2018, 14:57 Fair points but he also stated his preferred position is the wing and from that I took it this is where he is expecting to play.
True, just depends how good ol' Gary wants to set up this season.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

He is not good ol' in my book. He has a lot to prove and given his efforts so far he is proving now't currently. He might be impressing the likes of Merse but I can't see anything but low mid table paid for with a promotion budget at the moment.