Guardian Article On Torquay

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Good on you Merse for bringing some attention to the situation. More coverage than anything by the local press. I appreciate it, genuinely.

The response from Torquay United/GI/RSL is cringeworthy beyond belief.
Last edited by Parkys People on 16 Apr 2017, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

On the issue of players signed or loaned since "Osborne arrived" could you, TQ1, explain why up to the day of the transfer deadline did the manager keep telling us that "one or two players" were about to be signed?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The answer you're looking for but won't get.......... "He refused the conditions attached to the signings he requested".

What would I know though, I'm just a keyboard wanker ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Sincil Bank
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Jim McNichol

Post by Sincil Bank »

It makes a depressing read. Good Luck getting the best resolution for TUFC. As I said elsewhere you all deserve better than this.

Wherever we are I shall be following your progress next season. Who knows, if you pull off an escape and it all goes catastrophically wrong for us it might only be next season we are still playing each other!!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Why are we all falling over ourselves to back a non employee of TUFC? I quite enjoyed the official response. Shows passion and outrage and what has been alleged against them. No doubt we are in a the shitter right now but other than feeding Mr Merse's ego - I fail to see how this public humiliation helps anybody at this current point in time.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Referring our threadbare squad.
Riddle me this:

WHO IS THE BACKUP KEEPER FOR TOMORROWS MOST IMPORTANT GAME IN OUR HISTORY?

If you cannot answer this TQ1 can anyone else help me out please?

I my opinion, Hancox, Duke, KN, Richards are either too inexperienced, on loan, too old or injured.

That takes us down to 15 players who have the necessary attributes to play 90 minutes.

If I were to argue the amount of game time given to our most experienced striker Mr Williams you could be forgiven in thinking we only have 14 available players.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Braintree matters. Then Dover. Then North Ferriby. After this let's have it out but all this article has done is add weight against the circumstances we are currently facing. It is shameful in its timing.
TUST member 328
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Richinns wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 21:46 Why are we all falling over ourselves to back a non employee of TUFC? I quite enjoyed the official response. Shows passion and outrage and what has been alleged against them. No doubt we are in a the shitter right now but other than feeding Mr Merse's ego - I fail to see how this public humiliation helps anybody at this current point in time.
It's helped to publicise our plight and further highlights the divide in the wishes of those that love the club as opposed to those who seek to use it to make money at the clubs expense.
Dave

nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Richinns wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 21:49 Braintree matters. Then Dover. Then North Ferriby. After this let's have it out but all this article has done is add weight against the circumstances we are currently facing. It is shameful in its timing.
Think you'd be better off watching Line Of Duty instead of all this!!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

SenorDingDong wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 21:37 Anyone think that we should wire up Merse for his 'free meal' with GI? :P who knows what Clark may let slip - of course, knowing as they will that Merse isn't Torbay based, they've likely extended that offer precisely in the knowledge he probably won't be able to make it.
I for one would love Merse and Michael to attend a pre match meal. If you need help with the train fare I'm sure we would all throw in a couple of quid each!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

nickbrod wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 21:51 Think you'd be better off watching Line Of Duty instead of all this!!
Think a lot on here would be better off having their own opinions than polishing another man's manhood!
TUST member 328
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Richinns wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 21:46 Why are we all falling over ourselves to back a non employee of TUFC? I quite enjoyed the official response. Shows passion and outrage and what has been alleged against them. No doubt we are in a the shitter right now but other than feeding Mr Merse's ego - I fail to see how this public humiliation helps anybody at this current point in time.
Erm because of the total lack of answers/proper communication from GI since they took us over in December, their failure to strengthen a squad severely struggling against what could be a terminal relegation, the lack of a fan's forum (the video Q+As answer nothing and are clearly an attempt to duck the probing questions of a forum), their frankly shocking treatment of the club's manager, their very shady past history especially surrounding sporting stadiums?

Of course they're bloody going to show outrage, they need to keep the fans and Council on side for long enough to get hold of the freehold, they'll defend themselves to the death until such a point when they've got what they need - just like Chris Roberts did. The fact they have responded in such a ridiculous unprofessional manner shows how rattled they are and how much they have to hide. An ownership that had nothing to hide would put out a formal well worded response after a period of reflection and started amending their attitude to the fans and promising to be substantially more transparent. Either that or they have staff members going rogue, which is another worrying aspect of their management of the club.

Had GI reinforced the team before the transfer window and gave us a decent chance to fight against relegation, they would not be facing anywhere near this level of hostility. Even though a great deal of us have known their game ever since last year when some dedicated forum members researched their history in business, there was still a decent % of the fanbase that was willing to give them a chance/viewed them as a positive future. The fact that GI have alienated even them and pissed off the whole fanbase tells you everything you need to know.

The HE has refused to publicise much of what the fans have uncovered and our concerns, let us remember that it was the fans that discovered Roberts for what he was and led the fight against him and are once again!, and it has taken Merse to get the news out there into a national (not even local!) publication. That is why he is being praised and deserves to be so.
Last edited by SenorDingDong on 16 Apr 2017, 22:03, edited 5 times in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Well I think you know I'm my own man, Rich. I'm with Merse 100% on this. It's time GI were forced to answer the questions they love to avoid.
Dave

TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Wheres the fans forum?
Wheres the signings that were promised?
Wheres the 5year bulsh*t plan?

People have been alleging/asking for all sorts but suddenly an article is written and the club cant wait to respond to it in a idiotic way.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Do GI think the fans are stupid?

Never mind "Shaun Harrad, Myles Anderson, Aaran Racine, Jared Hodgkiss, Jordan Lee, Paul Rooney, David Fitzpatrick, Ruairi Keating...eight players who spring to mind as either signed permanently, new loans agreed or extended loans, since ‘Osborne arrived’." The question as to why badly needed players weren't brought in to bolster the squat to stave off relegation before the transfer deadline has never been answered and still hasn't in their reply to the Guardian article!

Also, the usual smoke and mirrors. Loads of waffle about wages and The Lodge but they neatly side stepped:
"The owner of Gaming International, a company with a history of investing in sports grounds for redevelopment purposes, Osborne is a wrecking ball with a history of razing stadiums on the promise of building replacements that never materialise. To date, he has been responsible for the eviction of Bristol Rovers from Eastville and the closure of greyhound and speedway tracks, in places such as Reading and Milton Keynes."

Mr Osborne - is it any wonder that we don't trust you and don't won't you here!?