FA Cup Qualifying - Fourth Round - Torquay v Woking 1-1 - Replay 18/10

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Bornagull23 wrote:Well another pile of s##t . That's me finished , I've had enough of leaving p##t off after most games only for the people who run the club to sit in the posh seats telling us the club has no money. Well today was a chance to approve the bank balance a little, but our second half performance was clueless.
If you go to the theatre and see a poor show you don't go again well after 45 years I've seen 1 poor show to many, my season ticket will stay in the draw.
If this once great club does not get someone in to run the business correctly there will be no business.
Please can someone tell me why the away end needs to be opened for 48 fans. I have been to many away games where we had to seat in the stand ?
Please can someone tell me why once in the pop side before the game, you can't go and spend money in the clubs bar
Please can someone tell me why today a father was stopped from spending money in the bar because his son was under age and could not enter, yet the last home game there was a kids birthday party going on in the bar
The people running this club are nothing short of useless
Take it your the father of the child. Regarding away end I'm glad they opened it, for the away fan it enhances their match day. We begged Macclesfield on the opening day to allow us in the standing away end they said no, this pissed us all off. So your finished because we draw a match. Enjoy the theatre in future.. had to edit post as this post takes it to 4 pages
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Our biggest problem is that we are not scoring we did not create a chance all the game the goal came from a long shot that zipped off the wet surface. We don't have the pace in wide areas that we had last season, our fullbacks did get forward and got crosses in then. If you have not got pace in wide areas you need a creative player inside midfield but we tend to play our most creative player wide left.
I just think Nicho needs to rethink his formation because Woking should have been finished off in the first half as they were a poor side. We need to go there now and need to play 4-4-1-1 .
Hopefully Sparkes will be fit and we could have a midfield of Sparkes Young Richards Lathrope or Ward with Chaney ahead of the mid-field and around Blissett. Just try it.
The back four only two are up to the mark as the other two are prone to a mistake a game .
Moore needs a new pair of white quality gloves as there was something wrong with the ones he had on today. This needs addressing. :keepie:
Bornagull23

Post by Bornagull23 »

Lucy, no it wasn't my child, my point is are tufc in a position to turn money away. No one is running the club is a business manner
fred disley

Post by fred disley »

I think Jeff made a number of very good points about todays game with the exception of Chaney but I will come back to that. On paper Kevin should have had the easiest halftime team talk of the season,, Look lads the pitch is unpredictable, in parts the ball is stopping dead and in other areas its skidding off at seventy miles an hour, so no pratting about in our third of the pitch and secondly this half, same as the first please, grab a cup of tea watch sky,nothing else to say.
Now I will bet my pension that this was not what was said in the dressing room because the second half was a complete disaster, probably the worst I've seen us play and thats saying something.If verma was tired second half he was still, even tired head and shoulders over his replacement, ward was abysmal and didnt Woking know it, they tortured him. Williams well what can you say other than I agree with a previous contributor we need to offload him soon as, while everyone else's kit needed power washing after the game Williams needed a gentle pressing thats how much effort he put in.
I have been harsh on chaney in the past and in a way i am glad that he has got a chance to start a few matches to see if his confidence will inprove along with his performance, he likes to pass thats obvious, unfortunetely not to our players more often than not, his work rate is poor, his defending back even worse and today I studied him more than any other player, he must have spent a third of the match looking at the grass, surely thats the job of the man with the fork, his head drops far too easily, and he seems to have trouble concentrating for the whole match.
On the bright side we are in the draw for the first round proper and we havent been able to say that for a few season.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

somersetgull wrote:I live in Taunton more of that later. now i dont work saturdays its been a joy to experience tufc and the emotions once again for the last month. now i support a football team not a business. dont care about the money we might have won today, the final score was 1-1 anyone that cares about 12000 quid to make a rich person richer. Then as i said 20 years ago read out the companies bank account at 5pm and not what happens on the pitch. as bill shankley said football is more important than life or death he of course meant emotionally. today 1st half we experienced the good side 2nd half the death side im afraid. however a good cup game played in good old fashioned conditions brought back memories of football from 30 years ago, im sure if it was a top division game the players would have to go off as their hairstyles are getting messed up and the agents not happy concerning image rights. anyone who turned up today worrying about putting £12000 into a millionaires bank account stay at home and watch soccer saturday no 1 cares honestly. we all left annoyed and upset tonight???? ahhh the joys of supporting a club for real brilliant isnt it. you want to go be happy about football every saturday night, isnt there a coach trip you can catch to Manchester city or real madrid everyweek, today we drew we have a replay we will probably lose and a lot will cry because someone hasnt got 12000 quid in their bank account more than the thought of progressing and getting a good home draw against a team from the football league Anyway regarding Taunton its the carnival here tonight theres over 100000 people in the town centre tonight from all over somerset, so i guess around an extra 700 people, normal gate at least 500 for a game like this have decided to take in the game before hitting the town and pubs and the carnival which started at 630. regarding the gulls nest!!! how indeed do we who stand on the pop get in there before a game i still use boots and laces for a quick 5 min pre game pint and afterwards. anyway good luck in the replay no doubt i will be grumpy and kicking the cat around the house again but will still be there saturday to experience the wonderful emotions football gives us and not cheering on someones bank account (r.i.p football to whoever does this)
and breathe..............
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

[quote="Jeff"]This makes perfect sense - acknowledge that the club b needs more money, then profess that you won't go again and will spend your money elsewhere. Mixing threads a little bit but this is why I don't post on here as much any more - most of the posts are people proudly proclaiming how they are turning their back on the club.

For what it's worth I was there today so I witnessed it.

It was a close game we probably edged on chances ...

I agree with the above. In fact, we created most of the chances for both sides. In the first half, I think Woking only created one chance by themselves, when their rightback skipped by a static Chaney, whipped a cross that was touched on by a forward, resulting in a sharp save by Moore. Our individual errors took the momentum out of our play and gave Woking opportunities. When we got the ball down and started moving it around, once again, we looked good. It just didn't happen often enough.

I don't think William was as bad a some think, has was responsible for the best shot and best pass of the afternoon. He is never going to be the chaser of lost causes but he has to find a way to influence the game, as does Chaney. Young's improvement continues but sadly Blissett was below par; he was getting his body position wrong when receiving the ball, which he ends to also trap with the outside of his foot, resulting in his weight being wrongly distributed and often gets maneuvered of the ball.

The Verma substitution we a key moment. We obviously needed to refresh midfield, as we were beginning to be over-run and Verma was playing well. It may be that it was agreed he could only play for an hour because of injury.

Overall, one that got away.
TUST number 080
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Bornagull23 wrote:Lucy, no it wasn't my child, my point is are tufc in a position to turn money away.
What and it's taken you until now to become aware of this? :clap:
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Well, there's another game thrown away by lack of ambition and a defence that always makes at least one goal-worthy mistake.

The first half was good and the midfield was in the main playing well (the exception was Chaney who spent the whole game turning into trouble and being brushed off the ball). Young had his best game for over a year and I think was one of only two players to hit the target. Lathrop and Richards were secure and winning plenty of possession. We had 7 attempts, 4 on target (all Young) and the goal.

The second half was such a contrast - only 3 attempts and 1 on target (Williams). What had been the half time team talk - "don't worry boys we've got this in the bag so don't over-exert yourselves?" It certainly wasn't "guys you need a second goal to cement your first half superiority - I want you to go out there and put your bodies on the line". There seemed to be no spark and certainly no plan.

The front two were energetic but unable to hold onto the ball for most of the game. This was particularly so in the second half when the rest of the team started resorting to hoofing the ball aimlessly up to them. Blissett must be the worst controller of the football in this league - he was truly dreadful and gave so much possession to Woking.

But it was again the defence which threw the win away - GG seemed to have a through ball under control but turned the wrong way and got out-muscled, the ball went inside for their guy to run forward into empty space and smash the ball into the net as McGinty tried manfully to cover for his hapless partner.

I see we have no MOTM thread yet but I would suggest that to start one would be a waste of time - only Young and McGinty (who had his best game) were worthy of any note.

And shame on the supporters - only 1,348 was pathetic even taking the weather into account. God knows how low the attendance will drop later in the season if Nicho cannot turn this team round.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I think given the ludicrous ticket prices for a game of this stature, 1,348 was impressive.
markypoos77
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by markypoos77 »

somersetgull wrote:I live in Taunton more of that later. now i dont work saturdays its been a joy to experience tufc and the emotions once again for the last month. now i support a football team not a business. dont care about the money we might have won today, the final score was 1-1 anyone that cares about 12000 quid to make a rich person richer. Then as i said 20 years ago read out the companies bank account at 5pm and not what happens on the pitch. as bill shankley said football is more important than life or death he of course meant emotionally. today 1st half we experienced the good side 2nd half the death side im afraid. however a good cup game played in good old fashioned conditions brought back memories of football from 30 years ago, im sure if it was a top division game the players would have to go off as their hairstyles are getting messed up and the agents not happy concerning image rights. anyone who turned up today worrying about putting £12000 into a millionaires bank account stay at home and watch soccer saturday no 1 cares honestly. we all left annoyed and upset tonight???? ahhh the joys of supporting a club for real brilliant isnt it. you want to go be happy about football every saturday night, isnt there a coach trip you can catch to Manchester city or real madrid everyweek, today we drew we have a replay we will probably lose and a lot will cry because someone hasnt got 12000 quid in their bank account more than the thought of progressing and getting a good home draw against a team from the football league Anyway regarding Taunton its the carnival here tonight theres over 100000 people in the town centre tonight from all over somerset, so i guess around an extra 700 people, normal gate at least 500 for a game like this have decided to take in the game before hitting the town and pubs and the carnival which started at 630. regarding the gulls nest!!! how indeed do we who stand on the pop get in there before a game i still use boots and laces for a quick 5 min pre game pint and afterwards. anyway good luck in the replay no doubt i will be grumpy and kicking the cat around the house again but will still be there saturday to experience the wonderful emotions football gives us and not cheering on someones bank account (r.i.p football to whoever does this)
how is anyone meant to read this? look at modgulls post...that is how to write a post
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Bring back Bateson!!!! :whistle:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Yet another game where we played okay in the first half, very well at times, and then were awful in the second half, just like the Dagenham & Redbridge match. Even the weather was on our side ! The sun broke through at half time and Woking were playing into a bright sun in the second half but still they looked the much better team. They wanted it more and were better organised.

Personally, I thought Williams was the worst player on the pitch. I don't know what it is with him, whether his confidence is low or he's not happy here, or Nicho's style of play doesn't suit him, but he shows no effort. Nicho wants him to up his work rate. Well, he didn't today.
card-fan
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Brett Williams

Post by card-fan »

From an away fans point of view, your RM, which I'm guessing was Young, was your best player of the afternoon. Lots of good deliveries in to the box and looked really lively. If it wasn't for our stand-in LB having a good game, I think our defence would have been even more stretched. I wouldn't be too annoyed at your second half performance, we always play better in the second half. We have done all season.

As for Williams, he has never been liked by us, for the same reasons I have seen on other posts. He's lazy and just doesn't get involved. How he keeps getting contracts at this level, I do not know. I see Blissett as one of the top strikers in the league, so i'd expect someone better than Williams pairing up with him.

Despite the rain, I really enjoyed the trip down yesterday. The stewards in the away end were really welcoming and I never got that sense of BBB like I have at other ex-league clubs.

Good luck for the rest of the season, just not on Tuesday...
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

I would not argue with anyone that Nicho is the right man for the job but this is the second home game that he has brought on subs in the dying minutes of the match. Players need more time if they are going to make an impact or have any influence on the game.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Pretty much agree with a lot said about the match, first half performance was decent but not great, Young's shot was speculative, I was right in line with the shot and felt the Woking keeper perhaps could have done better, but it proves the point, if you don't shoot, you don't score.

Second half performance was again dire, not meaning this to overly critise Nicho , but when he says this is a young group of players, I get that, you will get mistakes, and inconsistency from a group of players loaded with to many young inexperienced players, but at some point surely ? You'd expect to see some improvement, instead of seeing the same players run down the same blind alleys, making the same mistakes game after game.

My biggest gripe is, movement off the ball, this isn't about how limited your players are, or we play in national league what should we expect, it's simple basic, schoolboy stuff.

Don't make the pass and stand there admiring it, make the pass and follow the pass, you can become a spare man, and an option for another player to pass, to.

And if I could have £1 for every time I see one of our forwards mark themselves out of the game, my season ticket would pay for itself, it's mind numbing. Chaney got pelters from the crowd after he'd played the ball through to no one, but in fact the ball from Chaney was perfect, the problem was, Blisset had put himself up against a Woking defender and stood there like scarecrow, if he'd have been Chaney's wavelength and made the run, he'd have picked up the pass and been in on goal.

The Woking fan above is spot on with his view point on Young, mid way through the second half, he put a perfect ball in, out-swinging right across the 6 yard line, where were the forwards, no where near, a bit more controlled aggression in the opposition box wouldn't go a miss either.

Yes money and better players would help, but we haven't got that, so coach what we do have and help them improve, not seeing that at the moment.
Formerly known as forevertufc