Cyril Knowles

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Cyril Knowles

Post by hector »

25 years ago tomorrow, that Cyril died. It says the 30th August on Wiki but I am sure it was the 31st.

Gave me some of my best memories as a TUFC fan.

That 88 team was really made in his image.

torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Fondly remembered, much missed.

Nice one, Hector.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

It was definitely 31st August 1991. He was before my time, but his record speaks for itself - a win percentage of 41.35% is the 4th highest of any Torquay manager. Given that the three above him all managed outside the Football League for at least part of their spell, he could very easily make a claim to have the best win % of any TUFC manager.

http://www.torquayfanstats.com/managers
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Gulliball wrote:It was definitely 31st August 1991. He was before my time, but his record speaks for itself - a win percentage of 41.35% is the 4th highest of any Torquay manager. Given that the three above him all managed outside the Football League for at least part of their spell, he could very easily make a claim to have the best win % of any TUFC manager.

http://www.torquayfanstats.com/managers
Thanks for confirming, Gulliball. He certainly was an excellent manager.

His record getting success at 3 previously terribly unsuccessful clubs in Darlington, Torquay and Hartlepool certainly suggests he was an excellent manager.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I certainly do not wish to underestimate Cyril Knowles achievements at TUFC but we did not win promotion under him.
Cyril's achievement was the astonishing rebirth of the club in his spell as manager. I had been attending matches at plainmoor since the mid 1970s after the 1972 relegation and in all that time we never came remotely close to promotion. The club reached its nadir under Dave Webb, and just managed to escape relegation from the football league under Stuart Morgan the season before Knowles took over.
I knew we had signed a good manager before the season started simply because he had won promotion with Darlington before who had traditionally been perennial re-election candidates. However nothing prepared me for the shock of his first league match in charge, a 6-1 home victory over Wrexham. We eventually lost the play off final against Swansea that season, but the point is he made me believe in TUFC for the first time. The following year he led us to our first Wembley final in the Sherpa cup final against Bolton wanderers.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Sorry, I was confusing two thoughts there. First Wembley appearance, and setting up for the 1991 play-off win. The Hartlepool side he went on to manage got promoted in the same season, but he had to leave due to ill health before the season finished.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Wolves away will always be one of my favourite moments as a Torquay supporter. The fact that we'd lost the first leg thanks to two Steve Bull goals and nobody (myself included) gave us a hope at Molineux but 400 fans, including me as a teenager, watched a dramatic night unfold and a 2-0 win took us to our first Wembley appearance.

It was a scary walk back to the train station though............
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Definitely echo all the thoughts expressed on here. only saw one game under Stuart Morgan (the all important one),so Cyril was my first TUFC manager and the 87-88 mob were the first squad.

What a way to become inititiated, I always feel truly lucky that was my first few years as a supporter, what a ride we went on, through the eyes of a 12/13 year old those times were truly special. Yes I know we never actually won anything but we achieved a lot. I have no idea how 87-88 never got promoted though. However, after being told so much of what precluded those few years and witnessing many of the dross filled times after I must say we were spoiled. I hold no other time with such affection as those few years under Cyril, a few others come close but not quite. He started the revival and and made people proud of the club again, I'm sure he set the foundation for the next few decent seasons to come, cup upset vs West Ham and wembley 91, without what had just come before these would likely not have happened.

Myself and a few mates met him and chatted to him once in 87, at his sons TUFC under 12's match down at Clennon Valley, he was filming the game and we kept bugging him and talking and asking him questions, he was very patient, kind and gracious. Looking back we were a bit intrusive and annoying. I remember it so well, it was the day after we beat Bolton at home 2-1 and it was a few days before we played the 1st leg at home vs Spurs. We were wishing him luck for Wednesday night etc, we went on about us playing his old club and wow we are 2nd in the league, blah blah blah, Cyril said he hadnt looked at the table. We were shocked.

I will never forget being at Plainmoor when Cyril's passing was announced at half time, I am sure we were playing Stockport, none of his team were still with us, but Mark Loram was playing for Stockport which was just surreal, I couldnt think of the game and just kept thinking of the highlights Cyril gave us, 6-1 Wrexham, Spurs, Bristol City, Double v Bolton, scaring the life out of Coventry, Dave Caldwell signing, Lee Sharpe coming through, - Loram, Dobson, Lloyd, McNichol and Kelly just being awesome, 5-0 Rochdale, 6-1 Wrexham, Wolves + Wembley 89.

I am not sure why Cyril left, I remember he left then stayed then went anyway, I read it was because he felt he couldnt do anymore with the team, not sure about that but I do remember how gutted I was and just feeling how nothing would ever be the same again, although we have had promotions and good times I dont think it ever has. Doctor Who fans always ask, pick or state who is your/their/my Doctor, usually their first or the one they relate to or hold the most affection for, well as TUFC managers go Cyril Knowles is my manager!

The fact that we still talk about Cyril and some of his players all these years later and you consider he was only here really for a short time speaks volumes.

Nice one Cyril!
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Plainmoor78 wrote:I certainly do not wish to underestimate Cyril Knowles achievements at TUFC but we did not win promotion under him.
Cyril's achievement was the astonishing rebirth of the club in his spell as manager. I had been attending matches at plainmoor since the mid 1970s after the 1972 relegation and in all that time we never came remotely close to promotion. The club reached its nadir under Dave Webb, and just managed to escape relegation from the football league under Stuart Morgan the season before Knowles took over.
I knew we had signed a good manager before the season started simply because he had won promotion with Darlington before who had traditionally been perennial re-election candidates. However nothing prepared me for the shock of his first league match in charge, a 6-1 home victory over Wrexham. We eventually lost the play off final against Swansea that season, but the point is he made me believe in TUFC for the first time. The following year he led us to our first Wembley final in the Sherpa cup final against Bolton wanderers.
I think we're of a similar age, I just about remember the relegation. I agree with the sentiments expressed. A true football man with real charisma. I must admit watching the video clips again brought tears to my eyes, all sorts of memories
TUST number 080
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was at the Wrexham game. I think the crowd was about 1750. After a successful start to the season the crowds went up to about 2700 and remained at that level. The point I am making is that the same thing COULD happen today. I suppose out average crowds are about 1750, but a winning streak....
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Plainmoor78 wrote:I certainly do not wish to underestimate Cyril Knowles achievements at TUFC but we did not win promotion under him.
Although we did not win promotion, I almost think of it as a promotion season. We blew it. We were probably the 2nd best team in the league that year, yet we finished 5th and needed just one point from the final two games to go up and lost them both.

Promotion was more deserved that year, than 3 years later when we did go up via the play-offs after finishing 7th.

But that season came after the troubles of the 80s and especially the horrific spell under D*ve W*bb.

When Cyril started, we just assumed another season of struggle, especially when we went one down against Wrexham but to win that match 6-1 was incredible and the start of something that was simply stunning. Cyril built a hard team, raised on Murderball behind the Mini-Stand. Wonderful memories and like Chunkygull, probably my favourite season as a Torquay fan, even though eg 2004 eclipsed it and I guess it was because of where the club had been.

1991 came with money, 1994, 1998 were great but we had done it before. 1988 was special because of the W*bb years immediately before it and the belief that we would never again be any good and Cyril changed all of that. He stopped us being a laughing stock.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

hector wrote:
Spot on. The section on murderball in Lee Sharpe's autobiography is entertaining.
TUST number 080
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Yes, what a top bloke he was. I remember my 2nd away match as a fan, away at Crewe. It was a Friday night. We where outside ground near an open entrance leading to inside ground, he saw our shirts and took us in for 5 mins. As for the match, it will stick in my mind when he gave instructions for the defence to pass back to keeper for the best part of 5-10 minutes towards the end. Gulliball or anyone what was date and year of this match, it was a draw(I think 1-1), it must be around 1989
Lucy
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

11 Mar 1988 Crewe Alexandra v Torquay United W 0-1
16 Dec 1988 Crewe Alexandra v Torquay United D 0-0

Next match wasn't until 1992, so probably either of these two. Both appear to have been Friday night games.
www.torquayfanstats.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Cyril did a similar thing away at Scarborough during the 87/88 season. I think we won at (what was, I think, Seamer Road) 1-0 but Scarborough were outraged because Torquay, 1-0 up, just kept passing the ball (prior to backpass law) to Kenny Allen.

I think it was in slight revenge for the home defeat v Scarborough early in the season when Neil Warnock's team, purposefully, just kept kicking the ball out of the ground.