Torquay vs Macclesfield Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

inclined to agree with you, nicky wroe never does it for me. Give the armband to Manse.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:
I'd have Danny on the bench, his recent performances in the 1st team do not warrant him keeping his starting place. Bring in Macklin who is quicker, srtonger and better in the air but lacks Danny's crossing or decision making. What you lose on the swings, you make on the roundabouts.

Mark Ellis will play, a numbing injection in his foot and he'll be right as rain.

Wroe, what has he got to do to be dropped? Useless, week in, week out. He needs to go in favour of the simply brilliant Eunan O'Kane.

So, we line up 4-3-1-2...

Bevs
Robbo - Ellis - Pickles - Nico
Wayno - Lamby - Macklin
EoK
Zedders Benners

It's got pace (Zedders, Macklin). Good D cover (Wayno gets back, Lamby is a destroyer of Worlds). Movement (fully fit Benners, all over the place). Skill and vision (find me a better picker of a pass than EoK in L2).

With a bench which includes Billy Kee, Kieran Charnock, Danny and Danny Senda, we have good optional all through the side and the option to change things around.

Matt.
Stevens was excellent at Stevenage, and one of our biggest threats that game, what with Zebs being nullified and Gritts being fouled 24/7. I thought he did well, and it would be unfair to drop him after such a performance.

Also, theres not a chance in hell that PB will rush Ellis back - if he isn't fully fit, he won't play. Thats been PB's way since day 1, and he is unlikely to change it now.

As for that team, is that with Wayno and Macklin on the wings, or a 3 man central midfield? If its the former then Mansell could be in for a very tough time, with Macc probably packing the defence and midfield, playing for a point (or 3).

I would be inclined to go for a team similar to Bennos, but I would have to fit Eunan in somewhere. Also, I'm a little unsure on the two left footed centre backs, but I suppose I could be worrying about something that isn't worth worrying about.
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by holsten »

- Bevan
- Robbo Branston Ellis Nicho
- Wroe Mansell
- Zebroski O'Kane Stevens
- Benyon

I'd like to try something different, and i think that is still an attacking formation, as well as protecting the defence. If it doesn't work change it around.

2-0 for me
Benyon
Zebroski
kbgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

Post by kbgull »

If Ellis is out then i think it will be the following starting 11!

Bevan

Senda Robertson Branston Nicholson

Zebroski Mansell Wroe Stevens

O'Kane

Benyon

I cant see Bucks going with two left/right centre halfs! thats why Charnock misses out
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Why start Macklin? He is better in the air than danny, yes, but is that really that hard? I think he lacks the experience Danny has, danny likes to cut inside, and sometimes pick a pass to the opposite wing, also his crosses are about 90% succesful. As Nick says, Danny was one of our main threats against Stevenage, and I expect him to have a great game on saturday, I mean, if we still havent scored 60 minutes in, then yeah, Macklin would be useful, but I dont think he has the stamina or end product to merit a starting place.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

So, we line up 4-3-1-2...

Bevs
Robbo - Ellis - Pickles - Nico
Wayno - Lamby - Macklin
EoK
Zedders Benners

It's got pace (Zedders, Macklin). Good D cover (Wayno gets back, Lamby is a destroyer of Worlds). Movement (fully fit Benners, all over the place). Skill and vision (find me a better picker of a pass than EoK in L2).

With a bench which includes Billy Kee, Kieran Charnock, Danny and Danny Senda, we have good optional all through the side and the option to change things around.

Matt.[/quote]

Stevens was excellent at Stevenage, and one of our biggest threats that game, what with Zebs being nullified and Gritts being fouled 24/7. I thought he did well, and it would be unfair to drop him after such a performance.

Also, theres not a chance in hell that PB will rush Ellis back - if he isn't fully fit, he won't play. Thats been PB's way since day 1, and he is unlikely to change it now.

As for that team, is that with Wayno and Macklin on the wings, or a 3 man central midfield? If its the former then Mansell could be in for a very tough time, with Macc probably packing the defence and midfield, playing for a point (or 3).

I would be inclined to go for a team similar to Bennos, but I would have to fit Eunan in somewhere. Also, I'm a little unsure on the two left footed centre backs, but I suppose I could be worrying about something that isn't worth worrying about.[/quote]

He was good at Stevenage in the first half, he didn t do so much in the second.

I know something you don t know (doo dah, doo dah)

This system pivots on CV fitness, when we have the ball, Manse pulls the strings, runs the plays, he is the offensive coach (yeah, like NFL comparisons are gonna make this EASIER to follow).
Macklin and Wayno push wide and make the pitch as big as possible (our Wide Receivers). EoK comes short, and looks to take the ball from Lamby, turn and pick a decent wide or forward ball (he is our Quarterback). Benners makes as much of a nuisance of himself as possible up front (our Tight End). This gives us three options at every stage. Lamby goes short, long or wide. EoK goes left right or centre. It s a very versatile pattern against a side with limited ambition.

When we don t have the ball, Zedders and Wayno drop back and in (they do this anyway) and EoK joins Manse in a narrow central four. The job of the wide men now is to force their guys either wide, into Robbo and Nico, or inside (depending on the striking preference of the Macclesfield man) to run into Lamby and, to a lesser extent, EoK.

My issue is that, playing Danny, EoK and Benners, we look awfully small and weak in attack. We are fine at the back, but I get the impression that the opposition, especially a less talented opponent (none intended, but Macclesfield are not one of this division s better sides) we look as if we can be brushed aside. That said, this wouldn t be a problem if the standard of refereeing in this league wasn t as hit and miss as it seems to be.

On this note, who comes up with the stats in the programme? Whoever they are, they need to pay more attention. They had someone else down as “Hit woodwork” most times, THREE! Well blow me down, I must have imagined the FIVE which we had against Southend and another three against Stevenage,. We must be up to a dozen this season, at least. And as for the idea that we are the dirtiest team in the league (most fouls) where on Earth do they get that from?

Matt.

Sorry for very boring post, I will refund any dissatisfied dot netters the three minutes it took them to read this, just as soon as I have finished my time machine.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

regarding macklin better in the air than danny .. i take it you did not go to the accy game then :L :rofl:
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by YellowMurphy »

Cant judge someones aerial ability because of 1 missed header. How many headers has Danny won?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

YellowMurphy wrote:Why start Macklin? He is better in the air than danny, yes, but is that really that hard? I think he lacks the experience Danny has, danny likes to cut inside, and sometimes pick a pass to the opposite wing, also his crosses are about 90% succesful. As Nick says, Danny was one of our main threats against Stevenage, and I expect him to have a great game on saturday, I mean, if we still havent scored 60 minutes in, then yeah, Macklin would be useful, but I dont think he has the stamina or end product to merit a starting place.
If he doesn't start, how does he get this experience.

I think Mackers is a viable option to Danny, and he makes on the swings what he loses on the roundabouts (I may have posted this elsewhere). Maybe I am doing Macclesfield a disservice, but I would expect this to be one of our easier games (on paper, certainly) and an ideal opportunity for Macklin (who is not that far behind Danny overall) to get a first team start.

Matt.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by YellowMurphy »

I do agree, that if youre going to start Macklin, let it be Macclesfield or Barnet. I could see your formation working ferrarilover, Definately. Not denying Macklins ability, just dont neccesarily think he should start on saturday
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

tufcgull wrote:regarding macklin better in the air than danny .. i take it you did not go to the accy game then :L :rofl:

I did, and I have been to all the reserve team games this season too, Mackers is better in the air than Danny in the same way that a happy meal is better than no food at all, it's not gourmet cuisine, but it's better than starving to death.

Matt.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Ooh 'eck it's all very serious over here.
Better go and brush up on my football knowledge before I start to feel too inadequate.
:Oops: :)
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I do laugh at the criticism that Nicky Wroe receives. I think the games where we see him 'do a bit on the ball' and then hit a 30 yard, defence splitting pass are few and far between. His contribution is often less obvious than Mansell's huffing and puffing (not that huffing and puffing doen't have a place). He does an equal shift, working screening the defence and is more availabe to receive the ball from teammates to keep possession and build attacks. Expectations are high but opportunities for NW to show the full range of his abilities are limited by the way in which all teams set themselves up for majority of games. I think he is a good midfielder who has the potential to get better. We would really notice if he were not in the side.
TUST number 080
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

HRG wrote:Ooh 'eck it's all very serious over here.
Better go and brush up on my football knowledge before I start to feel too inadequate.
:Oops: :)
No, no, HRG, stay with me. All this formation nonsense, what we need is 4-4-2, with Carlisle and Zebs out wide, Benners and Kee up top, KC replacing Ellis. Or Senda at RB and Robbo back in middle. Or Zebs up front with Kee and Macklin starting wide. Or Eunan (he's so lovely) replacing Wroe in CM. Simples. Right footed/left footed/diamond formations...pfft ;-)
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I would quite like to see Zebs and Kee together up front, worth a go.
These blokes are all very technical with their formation theories. I don't know how much my sleep deprived mind can take :?