Dan Butler to Newport County

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Dan Butler to Newport County

Post by MellowYellow »

Yes, he will play league football - but Newport County! Need a new agent Dan if you want your career to go anywhere. Thanks for the memories though, you were a great asset to the club last season.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

He's got back into the football league, will have quite a nice pay rise and has 2 years of security. He's still young enough to progress higher and will have a higher platform to showcase his talents from. I'd say that's not too shabby.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Understand Dan's desire to get back to league football, but would you not say his potential is better suited to a bigger club. As for a nice pay rise how does that work? Newport average gate is 2,500, have they got a rich chairman? By all accounts Newport look a bookies favourite for relegation to the Conference having finished 22nd in the league last season.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Let's not be bitter, he's moved to a bigger club, got more money and has a two year contract.

I say well done to him and wish him well.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Sorry to drone on here - not bitter and wish him well too: but how is Newport County a bigger club, other than the possibility they scrape through one more season of league football.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

They're a football league club - the standard is higher, the money is higher, the opportunities are higher. He had a very good season for us, but only 12 months ago he was released by a league two club. He's earned the chance to get back to that level and now has to prove himself there if he wants to go even higher.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

County have got their teeth into some good signings this time round - including Labadie.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

People seem to be forgetting that Butler has had a decent season at a team that only survived in the Conference in the last few games.

If we'd been challenging for promotion and he was nominated in the team of the year then maybe you'd expect him to sign for a bigger club than Newport, but I'd say that a move to a league club represents a good return for him given where he was a year ago
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Jeff wrote:People seem to be forgetting that Butler has had a decent season at a team that only survived in the Conference in the last few games.

If we'd been challenging for promotion and he was nominated in the team of the year then maybe you'd expect him to sign for a bigger club than Newport, but I'd say that a move to a league club represents a good return for him given where he was a year ago
A very fair summing up.
TUST member 200 ;-)
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

I will have to bow to everyone's superior knowledge on Newport County. As an adage, if you think that Torquay have financial troubles then read Newport's financial report - not good reading now their main benefactor has left:

http://www.newportcounty.co.uk/document ... 3081972.pd

Still at least Dan will get some top class opposition in pre-season friendlies:

Wednesday, July 6 – Ton Pentre (away) – kick-off 7.15pm (Brian Lomax Cup)

Friday, July 8 – Caldicot Town (away) – kick-off 7pm

Thursday, July 21 – Undy Athletic (away) – kick-off 6.45pm
CountyLad

Post by CountyLad »

Not forgetting Coventry City and Forest Green Rovers as pre season games, and also as a pre season tour.
Yes we are not the richest of clubs but we are now fan owned so hopefully that'll put us in good stead.
There seems to be better signings being made this season as opposed to last season with Butcher signing players who he'd never seen play!
Genuinely mean this, all the best for the upcoming season.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by DJ Gull »

CountyLad wrote:Not forgetting Coventry City and Forest Green Rovers as pre season games, and also as a pre season tour.
Yes we are not the richest of clubs but we are now fan owned so hopefully that'll put us in good stead.
There seems to be better signings being made this season as opposed to last season with Butcher signing players who he'd never seen play!
Genuinely mean this, all the best for the upcoming season.
Hi CountyLad,

If Butler can carry his form into next season, you have a very decent left back in your squad. Not only defensive but going forward as well, and on his day he will put in some cracking left footed crosses, across the 6yd box!

Good luck to you next season, and good luck to Dan Butler!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Got to agree that I thought Butler would go somewhere higher up the table, he's got the potential and he played a season of L2 football for Pompey only a couple seasons ago, thought he could do better than going to another financially struggling club. Indeed I hoped he'd do better although I wonder if it has something to do with wanting to be closer to his home in the Portsmouth area.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Pompey to Newport same distance as Quay to Pompey. He went for league football - cant blame him - but I do question his choice of team.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

MellowYellow wrote:Pompey to Newport same distance as Quay to Pompey. He went for league football - cant blame him - but I do question his choice of team.
It's an hour less when using the motorways. Getting to Portsmouth from TQ is either A-roads or taking a substantial detour around Bristol.