Sean Mcginty signs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
JamesTUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Sean Mcginty signs

Post by JamesTUFC »

Young defender Sean Mcginty has joined the club

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 48463.aspx?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Seems decent enough, although there are some questions regarding his discipline from earlier in his career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McGinty
Rich Tea Biscuits

Post by Rich Tea Biscuits »

Went to a school near me whilst I was also attending so I know enough about him.

Infamously the last player ever to be released by Sir Alex Ferguson from Manchester United, due to drink-driving twice and having a 'showdown' with him.

A little worried about his attitude to the game but I have to be optimistic due to Nicho's philosophy of only wanting to sign players who have the right attitude and wanting to make themselves better. Hopefully Sean has learnt from his past mistakes.

Welcome, Sean :keepie:
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

On the face of it not the most inspiring signing of the summer but centre backs (I think he is more likely this than a left back?) rarely are. I thought the same when Branno arrived and look how that turned out!

Seems like he has made a few poor judgment calls but he still is only 22 so deserves a chance to put those mistakes behind him and show he can produce on a consistent basis.

No chance Nicho would have taken him on if he does not fit his ethos so will give him every chance.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Aldershot fans describe him as a left back. From the consensus of their fans he was excellent for them on loan in 2014/15 but didn't live up to that last season as a permanent signing. He was their captain last year.

A change of scenery might do him some good - a fresh start and a new impression. Nicho might be the man manager he needs to get the best out of him because his 2014/15 form was described as excellent, certainly enough to convince Aldershot to sign him and make him captain. If we're short on money then it's probably a chance worth taking if Nicholson backs himself to get the best out of him.

Quite possibly he might be first choice left back and 4th choice centre back if required to play there.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Gulliball wrote:Aldershot fans describe him as a left back. From the consensus of their fans he was excellent for them on loan in 2014/15 but didn't live up to that last season as a permanent signing. He was their captain last year.

A change of scenery might do him some good - a fresh start and a new impression. Nicho might be the man manager he needs to get the best out of him because his 2014/15 form was described as excellent, certainly enough to convince Aldershot to sign him and make him captain. If we're short on money then it's probably a chance worth taking if Nicholson backs himself to get the best out of him.

Quite possibly he might be first choice left back and 4th choice centre back if required to play there.
A 6ft 4/5 left back?!
TUST member 328
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I assumed he was a centre half given his height. You generally don't assume a 6ft 5in lad will be that quick on the ground, which - if he is our left back - doesn't really fit with Nico's "dynamic attacking full-back" image
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

195cm is 6 ft 3 rather than 6ft 5, so at least one of their height figures is wrong. Aldershot fans definitely reckon he is better at left back although that's no guarantee Nicholson will see him as a full back. He must have impressed Nicho at some stage of his career, and Lathrope has presumably given him the lowdown on his abilities and temperament. We've waited until Butler didn't re-sign before moving, whereas we've needed a centre back for a while, which might be another indicator that he's seen as a left back, but we'll no doubt find out soon.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

think he will be good cover at left back and a decent centre half at this level, aldershot have know money so i think they have let a few go and are also signing cheaper players.
good signing this.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Gullscorer wrote:Is he related to Paddy McGinty? :)
Making stupid comments like that really gets my goat.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Gulliball wrote:195cm is 6 ft 3 rather than 6ft 5, so at least one of their height figures is wrong. Aldershot fans definitely reckon he is better at left back although that's no guarantee Nicholson will see him as a full back. He must have impressed Nicho at some stage of his career, and Lathrope has presumably given him the lowdown on his abilities and temperament. We've waited until Butler didn't re-sign before moving, whereas we've needed a centre back for a while, which might be another indicator that he's seen as a left back, but we'll no doubt find out soon.
Well if he is a left back then we will have a stronger height presence in the box for set pieces this year which is a bonus. Guess we will tell what Nicho is thinking once another player is recruited - either as a left back or a centre back. I am sure Lathrope would have warned Nicho off if he had a bad attitude and I am also sure Nicho would not have rushed or panicked on offering him a contract unless he fitted in with his way of thinking.
TUST member 328
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

11th club for a 22 year old. Another example of the broken system that is professional football. Hopefully we will be his forever club (or at least his settle down, establish himself in the first team and get 100 first team appearances under his belt belt club.)
I don't know much about him other than his potenetial on Football Manager a few years ago, was always a good signing for a League 2/1 club but never quite good enough for higher up!
Anyway, welcome to Plainmoor young McGinty.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

PhilGull wrote:11th club for a 22 year old. Another example of the broken system that is professional football. Hopefully we will be his forever club (or at least his settle down, establish himself in the first team and get 100 first team appearances under his belt belt club.)
I don't know much about him other than his potenetial on Football Manager a few years ago, was always a good signing for a League 2/1 club but never quite good enough for higher up!
Anyway, welcome to Plainmoor young McGinty.
That's 100 first team appearances and no red cards, please!
TUST member 200 ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I wonder if his nickname is Paddy and he owns a goat ? Well, someone just had to say it ! For readers younger than Wivel, Paddy McGinty's Goat was a song sung by Val Doonican last century.