New Owners

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I posted a couple of weeks ago the club could, and I emphasise the word could, be in a lot of trouble if G.I pulled out and got largely ignored, I went down to the club last week and brought a season ticket, despite re-training for a new career that could see me unable to attend many games next season.

The reason I brought mine, and hope many others did also, is the only way this season ticket deal would have worked is, if a lot of people brought one.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Modgull wrote: I agree Dave. The deal is very reminiscent of the one offered in our first season in the Conference when, despite having a good season, playoffs plus Trophy final at Wembley, the Club lost, I think, something like £750K.
But in that season Buckle was allowed (encouraged?) to spend loads on transfer fees. We were playing fantasy football, signing the best players from around the division. I don't see that happening now. I don't see us sending over a hundred grand up the road for City's best players or buying 5 club captains from Forest Green or the likes. Brough was I think captain at FG (I may be wrong!) hardly played and got farmed out on loan to Truro. I think things are a lot more sensible now.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Southampton Gull wrote:Is it good though?

What happens if GI pull out because they get nowhere with the council and the board find out they've suddenly given two thirds of the fanbase half price entry for the whole season ? The breakeven average crowd will be considerably higher than it was last season. I'm worried for the clubs future here, we're going to be in serious trouble unless we hit the ground running or find investment from somewhere.
"...find investment"?
Bournemouth selling O'Kane?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Are Bournemouth going to sell O'Kane?
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Is it good though?

What happens if GI pull out because they get nowhere with the council and the board find out they've suddenly given two thirds of the fanbase half price entry for the whole season ? The breakeven average crowd will be considerably higher than it was last season. I'm worried for the clubs future here, we're going to be in serious trouble unless we hit the ground running or find investment from somewhere.
I would agree with this. The length of time the takeover is taking, is a concern although I appreciate that nothing is done quickly these days.

The "feelgood" factor from last seasons "great escape" is fading although a few signings are keeping the interest going. IF GI pull out though, it could make for a nervous summer and if results don't go well from the start, it could well be another rocky season.

Unfortunately, Torquay will always scrap around in the basement of english football and fans have to accept that. I doubt any Oligarch will ever rock up at Plainmoor with an open chequebook.

It's important to have low expectations, then you can't be disappointed. Anything good is a bonus! :scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Burnhamgull, exactly my sentiments again. One thing that has bugged me over the last couple of weeks while Nico has been assembling next seasons squad is the optimism of some posters who actually think we could challenge for promotion, it worries me that if things do not turn out particularly well these people will begin to unjustifiably take it out on Nico just as they did when he first took over the club. Given the budget mid table mediocrity would be s success.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

BurnhamGull, Is it fair to say you're a half glass type? At least judging by your last 4 posts in here.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Why shouldn't we dream of promotion next season? As for blaming Nicho if it doesn't happen, well I can't speak for anyone else but right now but he is about as close to a deity as I would care to have. EVERYTHING he is saying and doing at the moment is **** gold. And it seems that there are over a 1000 (over one thousand season tickets sold thus far) people who are also riding the crest of this wave.
We are Torquay United and we finally have a manager in charge - I say in charge as with all the work he seems to be doing in the commercial department with sponsors he seems well and truly to be bossing it! - we finally have a manager in charge with the drive, ambition and love for the club to actually bring us some proper success. When was the last time the top scorer in our division was a Torquay United player? When was the last time Torquay United won a league? When was the last time Torquay United were the best at anything? Finally I feel that all of this and more is possible. This is a GREAT time to be a Gull!
:scarf: Say it loud, say it proud, TORQUAY 'TIL I DIE :scarf:
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Parkys People wrote:BurnhamGull, Is it fair to say you're a half glass type? At least judging by your last 4 posts in here.
When I was younger and travelling all over the country following the Gulls, the glass was always half full. I've enjoyed many many great memories watching the Gulls midweek in some outpost.

Then, over the past 3-4 years, I've started to watch other teams all over the country because my job keeps me away from home all week so sometimes, it's good to go and watch games as a neutral. When I saw the facilities on offer, the atmosphere inside stadiums and the quality of football elsewhere, my glass became half empty when I returned to Plainmoor at the weekend.

Now I drink different drinks, so the glass is neither half empty or half full. :-D

I would agree with Plainmoor78, Nico's building a decent team at the moment but lets taper expectations. Mid table will be just fine next season. Maybe push on the year after, maybe not. Either way, lets just hope Torquay has a team to follow.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Anything has got to be better than the end of Hargreaves season. We've all got to pull together and support Nicholson as it's a very lonely job. He is trying his best and has gained everyones respect.

The chairman seems sure that GI are going through with the take over so lets hope he's right. :keepie:
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

New owners or not we appear to be reinforcing our team in a promising manner. Is the fact we've made a couple of good signings a little bit of reinsurance that this deal is going to go through?
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Grossy2

Post by Grossy2 »

I've heard from an inside source at the club that the deal has either fallen through or has been stalled. But they do not know why....

Hope this isn't true
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Lets face it if the deal falls through no one will be surprised.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

There are still a few weeks to go before the exclusivity period ends. If the takeover is confirmed, the new owners and new investment will be very welcome, as will the possibility of a new stadium. But if it falls through it will not be the end of the world. It will simply mean that the club's progress will take a little longer. But consider all the positives:

We no longer have to pay anybody for 'gardening leave', season ticket sales are up, along with the prospect of increased attendances, and those who are able to support the club (either through the players fund or in other ways) can be sure that their donations will not be wasted. Last but not least, Kevin Nicholson continues to work wonders in putting together a squad which looks capable of achieving success on the pitch.

So, however things turn out on the question of ownership, we can look forward to an exciting season ahead. And once we start riding that promotion wave, there'll be no stopping us..
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »