Next Years Squad

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Next Years Squad

Post by royalgull »

do we have a list of who is out of contract?

For me I'd look to

1. Grant Fisher - Release
3. Dan Butler - Keep
4. Josh Rees - On Loan so will go back
5. Angus Macdonald - Keep
6. Exodus Geohaghon - Release
7. Iffy Allen - Keep
8. Luke Young - Keep
9. J-P Rylah - As we've seen nothing I presume he'll be Released
10. Danny Racchi - Keep
12. Shaun Harrad - Keep
14. Toby Ajala - Keep
15. Liam Prynn - Release
16. Courtney Richards - Keep
17. Nathan Blissett - Keep
18. Nathan Smith - On Loan so will go back
19. Sam Chaney - Keep
20. ONeil Odofin - Release
21. Dan Lavercombe - On Loan so will go back
22. Ben Gerring - Keep
23. Will Hancox - Keep
24. Kevin Nicholson - Keep and could still do a fill in job if Butler is missing
25. Aman Verma - Hopefully Sign
26. Brendan Moore - On Loan so will go back
28. Andre Wright - On Loan so will go back
29. Durrell Berry - Keep
30. Sean Finch - Release
31. Scott Corderoy - Release
32. Amos Kabeya - As we've seen nothing I presume he'll be Released

I'd keep Harrad, Gerring, Racchi as good squad players to come in and do a job as and when for the season, obviously we need at least 1 first team goalkeeper, I'd like another centre back for Angus to partner and then some more forward players a couple of wingers and a top striker to partner Bliss, I think we'd be in good shape then. Obviously it's going to depend on these new owners but the future could be a lot brighter, need to get our key players like Young signed up asap.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'd be surprised if keeping Racchi is an option. I very much got the impression that it was a short term, marriage of convenience sort of thing.

He initially turned us down as the money we could offer wasn't enough to justify him moving a long way from his Halifax home. Then a few weeks later he signs for us. My guess is he thought he could get something closer to home but it didn't work, so decided to sign for us as some football and keeping his name in the frame would be better than being off the radar.

As it is, it's worked out for both - our form has improved dramatically with him as part of the team, and he has put himself in the shop window.

Unless Mrs Racchi has decided that she likes the idea of moving to the bay, I expect he'll be off to a Northern club next season. And if such a chain of events pans out he'll go with no hard feelings from me - TUFC and Racchi needed each other at that specific time and it worked out ok for all
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Agree withe the list. Would be sad to see Raachi go back up north. I would see him as more than a squad player.
TUST number 080
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Agree with most of that. Hope Moore, who's at the end of his contract at Fleetwood, likes us enough to sign next season. Allen is worth persevering with. Still unsure about Ajala - developing too slowly, perhaps, but I think he's learning from Iffy. It would be great to keep Luke and Gus but not convinced we can hold on to them. Gus had matured this season - last night he was his best ever playing, directing (he kept the back line in order) and leading by example - his 100yd sprint at the end was incredible.
TUST member 200 ;-)
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Ben Gearing is not a professional footballer.
His distribution last night was awful and he nearly scored an own goal which could have changed the whole course of the match.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It's always possible that a loan player may be released by his club and so be available to sign for us. Obviously not in the case of Lavercombe, but others, who knows?
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I agree with your list royalgull, but wouldn't it be good if we could keep Brendan Moore?

I was thinking last night that one or two additions and we could well be challenging at the top of the table next season. Didn't want to count my chickens though as we're not quite safe yet......

6667GULL, sorry but I think you are being a bit narrow minded with regards Ben Gerring. He is there to defend and in this league he is more than capable of doing that. Are you conveniently ignoring Angus' wayward passes as well? He had a few last night! I am sure Ben realises he is not at Nathan Smith's or Angus' level but it doesn't matter. He has done a job as back up centre half and you won't hear me criticising him because his distribution is not as good as Luke Young's (who also played a few wayward balls last night for what it's worth!). You've been watching too much premiershit mate!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

I think the current squad is the basis of a decent one but it should be improved over the summer and that means being pretty ruthless. For me I would let the following go as there are simply better out there

Harrod - too slow and a better quicker player would have a field day playing with Blissett
Hancox - couldn't get in this seasons team at its worst. No point in keeping him
Gerring - great spirit but about as talented as I am with the ball at his feet
Ajala- massive disappointment and contributes next to nothing
Exodus -obviously

Question marks over the following and I'd be happy either way

Richards- again, great spirit but passes to the wrong colour shirt more often than not
Verma- as a midfielder I'd get rid immediately but he's been sensational at right back so probably worth keeping as really good cover or possibly first choice there

As for the obvious departures then local league players and failed kids can go with no loss

I think that the current squad deserve great credit for getting us where we are now and obviously Nico has proved me massively wrong which I am delighted about. However with the momentum from the end of this season and the hope of the new ownership I actually see next season as a real opportunity for us to challenge nearer the top end and to do that will mean adding more quality in the summer. We've proved in the last couple of months we can more than hold our own against teams in the bottom half but have fallen a bit short against the teams around the playoffs. That indicates that we still need a bit more in some areas.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

I wasn't aware that anyone was contracted beyond the summer? Apart from Bliss having a clause to extend (I think).
So it will be a clean slate that Nicho (or whoever) has to prepare for next season. Or should I be reading 'keep' as 'offer'? They will all be 'let go' or 'released' unless an offer is put to them before their contracts (those who have one) are up!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

SteveDeckchair wrote:I agree with your list royalgull, but wouldn't it be good if we could keep Brendan Moore?

I was thinking last night that one or two additions and we could well be challenging at the top of the table next season. Didn't want to count my chickens though as we're not quite safe yet......

6667GULL, sorry but I think you are being a bit narrow minded with regards Ben Gerring. He is there to defend and in this league he is more than capable of doing that. Are you conveniently ignoring Angus' wayward passes as well? He had a few last night! I am sure Ben realises he is not at Nathan Smith's or Angus' level but it doesn't matter. He has done a job as back up centre half and you won't hear me criticising him because his distribution is not as good as Luke Young's (who also played a few wayward balls last night for what it's worth!). You've been watching too much premiershit mate!
:goodpost:
TUST number 080
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Lloyder5 wrote: :goodpost:
:goodpost:
TUST member 200 ;-)
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I would definitely try to keep Butler, MacDonald, Young, Racchi, Chaney, Allen and Blissett.

Depending on finances I wouldn't be against Ajala, Verma, Richards, Harrad or Berry staying either. Nicholson might feel however that this is a chance to make a fresh start and use these wages to bring in some new blood. His recruitment since January has been excellent and with more players available in the summer then he might have a chance.

The others I would release. The non-contracts and trialists might be worth another look in the summer if we don't have a bigger budget for next year. I suppose a lot will be dependent on the takeover and how quickly this goes through (and what their plans are!).
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Guy Branston was absolutely no better than Gerring with the ball at his feet. He won player of the year, defenders job is to head and kick things not play silky one-twos. Gerring is more than adequate and played well last night.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I would hope to keep the majority of the current squad. Nicho has assembled a good group and with just one or two qualiry additions we can look forward to some goond results next season. I really don't want to see yet another summer rebuilding exercise - been there done that - it does not work!!!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

royalgull wrote:do we have a list of who is out of contract?

For me I'd look to

This all depends on the budget...but generally I agree with you. I think with a few decent additions to the below that we could be very competitive for a season.

1. Grant Fisher - Release May be a good back up - have not seen him yet
3. Dan Butler - Keep Yes
4. Josh Rees - On Loan so will go back Would seek to get a season long loan.
5. Angus Macdonald - Keep Yes but I think we will probably sell him for c.50k
6. Exodus Geohaghon - Release Yes
7. Iffy Allen - Keep Yes
8. Luke Young - Keep Yes
9. J-P Rylah - As we've seen nothing I presume he'll be Released Did he even sign!?
10. Danny Racchi - Keep Yes
12. Shaun Harrad - Keep Yes - good experienced squad player
14. Toby Ajala - Keep Yes
15. Liam Prynn - Release Yes
16. Courtney Richards - Keep Yes
17. Nathan Blissett - Keep Yes - I think he has an option in his contract.
18. Nathan Smith - On Loan so will go back. Would love to see him back but I think he will play in the football league next year.
19. Sam Chaney - Keep yes
20. ONeil Odofin - Release yes
21. Dan Lavercombe - On Loan so will go back yes
22. Ben Gerring - Keep I think he has done well but would only keep him if our budget is as limited as this year. Not up to the level.
23. Will Hancox - Keep Yes
24. Kevin Nicholson - Keep and could still do a fill in job if Butler is missing Good to have him as "free" backup
25. Aman Verma - Hopefully Sign Definitely. His versatility is a real asset.
26. Brendan Moore - On Loan so will go back Would seek to get a season long loan.
28. Andre Wright - On Loan so will go back Would seek to get a season long loan.
29. Durrell Berry - Keep Yes...hopefully he will recover asap
30. Sean Finch - Release yes
31. Scott Corderoy - Release yes
32. Amos Kabeya - As we've seen nothing I presume he'll be Released give the lad a chance!

I'd keep Harrad, Gerring, Racchi as good squad players to come in and do a job as and when for the season, obviously we need at least 1 first team goalkeeper, I'd like another centre back for Angus to partner and then some more forward players a couple of wingers and a top striker to partner Bliss, I think we'd be in good shape then. Obviously it's going to depend on these new owners but the future could be a lot brighter, need to get our key players like Young signed up asap.
Last edited by northlondongull on 13 Apr 2016, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.