Bognor Regis

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
LesLawrencesAfro
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Bognor Regis

Post by LesLawrencesAfro »

As a ST holder at my local club (Tonbridge Angels), I went along to Longmead last night to watch the Angels take on our FA Trophy opponents. Only thing I can say is don't be fooled by their status of playing in the Ryman League.... they are much better than that! Easily the best team that have visited Longmead this season - and many a season before that. They tore the Angels apart at times which not many teams have done that this season... I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I've left the ground feeling that way.

And our defence should be wary of their number 9 (Jason Prior) who has netted on no fewer than 23 times this season in a team whose current form for their last 10 games reads: WWWWWDWWDW For: 18 Against: 5. The only 2 draws in that sequence were against Sutton Utd 0-0 (Conference South) in the last round of the FAT (winning the replay 2-1 at their place) and the other against another in-form Ryman Prem team East Thurrock United 0-0 (who score goals for fun in this division - Sam Higgins is their top scorer with 27 goals so far this season ... oh, how we could do with a Prior or Higgins right now!).

So, just a word to the wise.... do not expect an easy game on Saturday... they may be 2 divisions below us, but from what I saw of them last night we'll be lucky to escape with a draw.... and we could do without that!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

We've made a big mistake in firstly not playing to an outcome on Saturday as we have chosen to have a replay:
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

A mid week replay that we win would be hurrendous, thats another 3 games, it's time to bow out of this cup, play a weakened side as much as possible and say thanks for the few £'000 we've got so far but its time to concentrate on survival in the league
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I disagree. Putting out deliberately weakened teams for ulterior reasons is against the spirit of the game and should be outlawed. We should take everything as it comes. The prize of a Trophy final win may only be £50k, but in our financial situation that could be a lifesaver for the club. Without it, we may avoid relegation but still be in deep financial trouble. We need the Trophy and, of course, we need to stay in the National League, and there's no reason why we cannot achieve both. Of course there are risks with injuries, suspensions, etc., but I've no doubt the club is aware of these and has made arrangements to alleviate them, such as the possibility of signing an additional player if necessary. We're obviously treading a very fine line, both on the pitch and financially, but fortune favours the brave..
LesLawrencesAfro
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by LesLawrencesAfro »

I disagree too GS. Although I have no sympathy for followers of Premier League clubs, I would've been pretty peeved if I was a Man City fan and paying good money to go to Stamford Bridge to watch a weakened team get thrashed. Likewise, if we did put out a weakened team against Bognor (which I'd strongly advise against - see opening post) then I'd be pretty p*ssed off if I've travelled from Devon/Kent/Manchester/Wherever to watch us get slaughtered by a team 2 divisions below us. None of us want to pay hard earned money just to see a game that we have lost even before a ball is kicked in anger.

Yes, we need to the FAT like a hole in the head right now. But as pointed out, if (and that's a big IF) we get to Wembley and win it, the money into the coffers can only be a good thing.

We should aim for both.... a day out at Wembley and trip to the grim North on the last day of the season to celebrate survival!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

LesLawrencesAfro wrote:I disagree too GS. Although I have no sympathy for followers of Premier League clubs, I would've been pretty peeved if I was a Man City fan and paying good money to go to Stamford Bridge to watch a weakened team get thrashed. Likewise, if we did put out a weakened team against Bognor (which I'd strongly advise against - see opening post) then I'd be pretty p*ssed off if I've travelled from Devon/Kent/Manchester/Wherever to watch us get slaughtered by a team 2 divisions below us. None of us want to pay hard earned money just to see a game that we have lost even before a ball is kicked in anger.

Yes, we need to the FAT like a hole in the head right now. But as pointed out, if (and that's a big IF) we get to Wembley and win it, the money into the coffers can only be a good thing.

We should aim for both.... a day out at Wembley and trip to the grim North on the last day of the season to celebrate survival!
Steady pal.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

lucusmc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lucusmc »

We may not have a choice RE fielding a weaker side as all of our new signings are cup tied!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Even if Nicholson doesn't play a "weakened" side, at the very least it should be used to give those players who Gareth law keeps tweeting about a rest.

Berry came through a late fitness test last night, and he has been close to not playing a few times in the last month. Giving him a rest is a must in my opinion. I would also use the opportunity to ensure Verma gets a game after his lay off, and Nicholson can play himself too to keep him up to speed.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

My fear is that a key player will get injured in the FAT which will have a knock-on to the league survival campaign. Iffy Allen, for example, last night was a very influential sub with lightning pace. Welling were torn to shreds, and I reckon a good number of other Nat league teams would be too.

It'll be good to get Verma match fit after his absence, but not at the expense of further injury.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Kit_robin wrote:I would also use the opportunity to ensure Verma gets a game after his lay off, and Nicholson can play himself too to keep him up to speed.
:rofl:
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

If Wright is still injured, the team isn't going to be far off picking itself given the cup-tied situation.

The only players who can play remotely like forwards will be Verma and Allen (maybe Hancox is Allen isn't fully fit), which will leave midfield basically can only be Butler - Racchi - Richards - Rees. That'll mean Nico starting left back, although I suppose if he doesn't want to rock the boat too much Chaney could get a start and Butler stays at LB. The only real decision will be if Berry needs a rest; in which case Smith is the only feasible RB, so that'll see Gerring partnering Angus in the centre.

With the personnel we have available, I don't see how the team can really be much different to the above.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Jeff wrote:If Wright is still injured, the team isn't going to be far off picking itself given the cup-tied situation.

The only players who can play remotely like forwards will be Verma and Allen (maybe Hancox is Allen isn't fully fit), which will leave midfield basically can only be Butler - Racchi - Richards - Rees. That'll mean Nico starting left back, although I suppose if he doesn't want to rock the boat too much Chaney could get a start and Butler stays at LB. The only real decision will be if Berry needs a rest; in which case Smith is the only feasible RB, so that'll see Gerring partnering Angus in the centre.

With the personnel we have available, I don't see how the team can really be much different to the above.
Chaney is cup tied.

Corderoy
Smith - Gerring - Ex - Nicho
Allen - Richards - racchi - hancox
Verma
Wright

If we win, great, if we lose, great.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Kit_robin wrote: Chaney is cup tied.

Corderoy
Smith - Gerring - Ex - Nicho
Allen - Richards - racchi - hancox
Verma
Wright

If we win, great, if we lose, great.
It's a difficult one but that's the sort of difficult decision managers are paid to make, even if they're not being paid very much ! Players carrying knocks or strains after last night's match on a pudding of a pitch should be rested to give them chance to recover. Next Tuesday's match at Macclesfield and Saturday's game against Kidderminster are far more important than the Bognor match.

I'd go along with Kit except I'd have Dan in goal (he had a fairly quiet evening last night !), I'd play Josh Rees at right back and give Nathan Smith a rest, and I'd only include Wright if he was 100% fit after his groin strain. What about this John Prince-Rylah - is he cuptied as well? It puzzles me to think that we are scratching around to field a team and yet have Liam Prynn still out on loan at St Austell. We could definltely do with another striker ......
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Yeah, even I think corderoy might be a step too far!
John prince-rylah never actually signed because, to the amazement of the club he was cup tied. Despite most fans of TUFC with an Internet connection finding this out within about five minutes of hearing his name.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

The attempt to sign John prince-rylah for the trophy games when he was already cup-tied is an indication that he must have a good agent. But at least somebody read the bulletin board and stopped the fiasco.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

What they haven't told Mr and Mrs Cain who won the Friday night stay at the Bogner Regis Best Western is that they are both on the subs bench at the game!