New Stadium-The Willows

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

New Stadium-The Willows

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Joint announcement from Council(Mayor) and Club(Steve Breed) at Business Breakfast held at LWS this morning.
Council is to support Club to look into the feasibility of moving to new stadium which could be constructed at Nightingale Park ( The Willows).
Could happen quite quickly if found to be feasible and gets through all the planning hurdles etc.
(Pete Masters was guest speaker at meeting.)
lucusmc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lucusmc »

Is a new stadium needed? Plainmoor to me, is fit for purpose especially for the level we are at atm and the predicament we are currently in!

Having said that, it may be something to think about in the future as teams with same sort of fan base as us, Colchester, Shrewsbury just spring to mind have benefited from a new stadium with higher crowds.

BUT not needed in our current position.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

My first reaction was this: :rofl:

However, why should the club and the town not consider the future, in fact a reasonably optimistic future? Not needed now, that's obvious. But if we are to even dream of the possibility of the club rising again like a phoenix with a new stadium (presumably multi-purpose) we must mark out a piece of ground now on which to begin to build plans for such a future. I only hope it will be big and ambitious enough to cope with future possibilities, and will be an easy walk from the railway, and will have a decent car park.

Good work Mr Breed. :-D
Last edited by Gullscorer on 03 Feb 2016, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Bet Thaea is pleased

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Plainmoor could be retained and shared between the TUFC reserve team and Torquay Athletic RFC. The Recreation Ground can be used by the Torquay and Devon County cricket teams.

There only remains the question of an athletics stadium, an Olympic-size swimming pool, and tennis courts and stadium to rival Wimbledon. :)
lucusmc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lucusmc »

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Can someone please explain to me what it has to do with Peter Masters - I mean he is feck all to do with us isn't he?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

A new stadium and a 4G pitch for free? If true then you cannot seriously turn an offer like this down. Training on the same pitch we play on, matches never called off.

It is a dream at the moment but I cannot see a downside if (as it is reported here) this is how it plays out.

I am sure the club would also do the right thing and have one of the stands named after the Bristow's.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

lucusmc wrote:Is a new stadium needed? Plainmoor to me, is fit for purpose especially for the level we are at atm and the predicament we are currently in!

Having said that, it may be something to think about in the future as teams with same sort of fan base as us, Colchester, Shrewsbury just spring to mind have benefited from a new stadium with higher crowds.

BUT not needed in our current position.
We desperately need a new stadium, have done for about five years. As more and more clubs move they increase their non-football income while we stand still. If we want to get back into the league this is an excellent start.

Only downside to me is the initial size. 6,000 to me is too small. I know people will say that we only get 1500 now, but a bit of successful football, a shiny new stadium, and suddenly we get 4000. That 6000 stadium then gets a bit cramped. We should be looking at an initial 8000 in my opinion.

Also interesting about the 4g element. Obviously a lot of bonus money wise, but will the football league ever let there be artificial pitches in the league again? People say yes but it might take a while.

All in all an excellent idea though. Something some of us have been banging on about for years - just goes to show that it was always achievable at little cost to the club, as people like me have always said. Get the right investors who will make money and it will be mutually beneficial
lucusmc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lucusmc »

It sounds too good to be true doesn't it?... an American building firm make first contact with the club, then pester the club to just have a look and there's no cost to us..... mmmm we shall see what further details come out in the future I guess.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

The biggest question for me is who would own it and whether rent is payable. I hope the board wouldn't agree anything less secure than what we have at present for fear of ending up ransomed like Coventry.

Yet another twist and turn to keep us all interested anyhow!
lucusmc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lucusmc »

Agree Kit, that we need to increase the non football income and if there's no cost to us then, on the face of it is a win-win situation as Steve puts it in the article.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

A new stadium imo is a great idea, shows that we're looking to the future (and have a future). 4G pitch is crucial due to the amount of games we call off too, so potentially a slight increase in revenue from Saturday games staying as Saturday games and not being moved to Tuesdays. I see it says there's a housing scheme too but it would be good if the new stadium offered extra facilities open to the public. E.g. Barnet's new ground The Hive makes a decent amount of extra revenue from various things they have open to the public like a Gym, Medical Centre etc.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

But why not just change the pitch at Plainmoor?
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Gullscorer wrote:My first reaction was this: :rofl:

However, why should the club and the town not consider the future, in fact a reasonably optimistic future? Not needed now, that's obvious. But if we are to even dream of the possibility of the club rising again like a phoenix with a new stadium (presumably multi-purpose) we must mark out a piece of ground now on which to begin to build plans for such a future. I only hope it will be big and ambitious enough to cope with future possibilities, and will be an easy walk from the railway, and will have a decent car park.

Good work Mr Breed. :-D
They're building a new station at Edginswell so that's the walk to the railway box ticked.